For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913332 by DragonLady
17 Nov 2015, 15:40
Where I've missed my flight to Washington and am on standby for the 9.20am flight after an awful journey out from the city. This hasn't been a good couple of days . I was robbed of all my cards and cash here on Friday ( the 13th) and have spent a large part of the last few days sorting that out with Amex. Hertz are now going to charge me 10 bucks a gallon to fill the monster I've been driving here ( it was a choice of gas station or try and make the flight and we went for making the flight). Credit to Hertz they ran us back to the airport in an attempt to get us on the flight.
On a brighter note we managed to find my great great grandfathers grave which was the reason for coming to Chicago :)

DL
#913333 by pjh
17 Nov 2015, 15:53
Not what you want ever, never mind when on a special trip. Hope it gets better from here on in.
#913335 by hiljil
17 Nov 2015, 16:32
So very very sorry to hear about having your cards stolen. What a ghastly predicament to be in.

Thank goodness you have managed to get on another flight. Hope all goes well with it and good luck in sorting everything out. I really feel for you.
#913336 by joeyc
17 Nov 2015, 16:40
So sorry to hear about this DL.

I hope Amex come through for you with issuing emergency cards. Think they will be good enough to have them waiting for you in DC? :-P

Fingers crossed for smooth flying ahead
#913341 by Jacki
17 Nov 2015, 19:54
Poor you, but very pleased you are on your way home now.
#913342 by tontybear
17 Nov 2015, 20:02
Oh no. How awful for you.

:(
#913348 by Hev60
17 Nov 2015, 21:28
How awful and it's a horrid experience which sadly I can empahise with, having had my handbag stolen at Gatwick many years ago. Hope credit card supplier is kind to you and your insurance company doesn't find all that pathetic small print they like to fall back on. Best wishes for the rest of your trip.
#913364 by Bretty
18 Nov 2015, 00:46
OMG DL how awful. I hope everything gets sorted satisfactorily leaving you to enjoy the rest of your special trip and that DC brings better things for you.
#913365 by DragonLady
18 Nov 2015, 02:11
Thank you all - Amex say they will have a new card here for me on Thursday and arranged for some cash via global assistance . The rest of my cards will be replaced and will be at home when I get back.
It's been an exhausting week but in the grand scheme of things all my troubles are trivial .
Dragon baby was caught up in the Paris atrocities on Friday which really hit home and was distressing as I was here in the USA and she was there ( and very scared as they were staying very near one of the restaurants involved and heard all the commotion). Luckily she got home on Saturday after the borders were reopened- lots of families haven't been so lucky :(
DL
#913377 by pjh
18 Nov 2015, 10:27
DragonLady wrote:T
Dragon baby was caught up in the Paris atrocities on Friday which really hit home and was distressing as I was here in the USA and she was there ( and very scared as they were staying very near one of the restaurants involved and heard all the commotion). Luckily she got home on Saturday after the borders were reopened- lots of families haven't been so lucky :(

I really don't know what to say to this news. It must have been so, so frightening for the all of you. As you say though, she is home safe.
#913380 by Daffodil
18 Nov 2015, 12:29
So sorry to hear all of you woes. Its a horrible experience to be robbed, it happened to Mr D when we arrived in Rome and Amex were really helpful with replacement card, cash and even contacting other other card providers for us .
Also pleased to hear Dragon Baby is home safe, must have been a very worrying time for you.
I hope your trip to Washington goes smoothly and you have a good time to make up the unpleasantness of the last few days.
#913381 by DragonLady
18 Nov 2015, 13:10
Daffodil wrote: Amex were really helpful with replacement card, cash and even contacting other other card providers for us .

I'm actually pretty disappointed with Amex global assist - they didn't do the things they said they were gong to do like ring me back (so I had to chase them again) and got the emergency money I requested amount wrong !! No offer to cancel my other cards either.
I felt physically sick when the BBC live news feed came through on my phone -thankfully she answered her phone as soon as I rang her but she was a very scared bunny ( as was I).
DL
#913385 by honey lamb
18 Nov 2015, 14:31
Oh dear, how absolutely dreadful for you. I know only too well what it is like to be robbed in a foreign city. And then to miss your flight. :-(

Hope the rest of the trip goes well.
#913388 by mitchja
18 Nov 2015, 17:20
Sorry to hear this. it's never good what that happens :mrgreen:

Just so you (and everyone else) is aware. All card issuers will send you a temporary credit / debit card if you need it in such situations. Both VISA and MasterCard offer this service along with AmEx.

You usually have to contact the VISA / MasterCard international help centre though to request this as the banks / card issuers don't often mention this service.

I had a temp MasterCard sent to me after I got robbed in Barbados many years ago.
#913389 by marshy11
18 Nov 2015, 17:36
DragonLady wrote:
Daffodil wrote: Amex were really helpful with replacement card, cash and even contacting other other card providers for us .

I'm actually pretty disappointed with Amex global assist - they didn't do the things they said they were gong to do like ring me back (so I had to chase them again) and got the emergency money I requested amount wrong !! No offer to cancel my other cards either.
I felt physically sick when the BBC live news feed came through on my phone -thankfully she answered her phone as soon as I rang her but she was a very scared bunny ( as was I).
DL

Oh dear, that's very poor of Amex.

Card cancellation and reissue is stressful at the best of times, without those added circumstances.

Hope it's all sorted quickly.
Virgin Atlantic