For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913338 by dickydotcom
17 Nov 2015, 19:32
I have been a bit of a sucker for mileage collection, that is up until now when I have done a proper comparison on cost and rewards.
Hiring a Premium car from Alamo for 30 days through Virgin Holidays £915
Hiring same car from Alamo through Rental Cars (previously Car Hire 3000) £685
I can buy a lot of miles if needed with the £230 saved.

Dick D
#913340 by gumshoe
17 Nov 2015, 19:45
It's all too easy to become a slave to the miles. Which, of course, is exactly what the airlines want and the amount of people they suck in is phenomenal.

Reading the BA Flyertalk board it never ceases to amaze me how many otherwise sane people will happily do a tier point run to Honolulu for one day just to get a shiny card and access to a slightly less crowded room at the airport. BA must be laughing all the way to the bank.

The answer is always to shop around. If you need miles there are plenty of other ways to get them.
#913343 by Hev60
17 Nov 2015, 20:10
dickydotcom wrote:I can buy a lot of miles if needed with the £230 saved.
Dick D

Absolutely agree. We've always booked direct and saved quite a few pounds.

However I made a mistake this year and booked with VH for our Californian car hire thinking I'd get a good deal but how wrong.
Firstly ended up paying more than if I had booked direct with Alamo, then it was a pretty oldish car (no choice of free upgrade although I am an Alamo Insider member) and lastly never ever got the promised flying club points put onto my account by booking via the VS website. Gave up chasing for them in the end.

We will use Dollar as usual at MCO in 2016 ;-)
#913349 by Hev60
17 Nov 2015, 21:40
Out of interest regarding car hire in the US - do many of you book an 'inclusive package' which includes extra drivers, fuel etc (not satnav though) ???

In the past we've usually opted for this but on our recent trips only one of us has driven and the other navigates, which effectively means we are paying over £60 for a tank of fuel on a compact car such as a 4 door Nissan Sedan :-O Any thoughts ??
#913352 by dickydotcom
17 Nov 2015, 22:08
Eggtastico wrote:Just a thought.. Do you want to try a 3rd comparison & use ShopsAway?

I looked at Virgin partners, not sure it that is the same, and it was cheaper than Virgin Holidays at £851, but still a lot more than going via Rentals.
I've done it now and got my confirmation.
Only have one thing to do now and that's book a taxi to the airport in 93 days.
Dick D
#913354 by dickydotcom
17 Nov 2015, 22:19
Hev60 wrote:Out of interest regarding car hire in the US - do many of you book an 'inclusive package' which includes extra drivers, fuel etc (not satnav though) ???

In the past we've usually opted for this but on our recent trips only one of us has driven and the other navigates, which effectively means we are paying over £60 for a tank of fuel on a compact car such as a 4 door Nissan Sedan :-O Any thoughts ??

I never pre pay for fuel, and Mrs D doesn't drive over there. I check out fuel prices around Orlando before my final drive as I've been caught out once filling up at the first station off the 408 and paying $4.50 a gallon when gas stations nearer the airport were $3 which made quite a difference on a 330 mile drive.

Dick D
#913370 by Eggtastico
18 Nov 2015, 08:10
dickydotcom wrote:
Eggtastico wrote:Just a thought.. Do you want to try a 3rd comparison & use ShopsAway?

I looked at Virgin partners, not sure it that is the same, and it was cheaper than Virgin Holidays at £851, but still a lot more than going via Rentals.
I've done it now and got my confirmation.
Only have one thing to do now and that's book a taxi to the airport in 93 days.
Dick D

Shops away is a portal found on virgin-atlantic website. Its similar to quidco, etc.
http://shop.virgin-atlantic.com/

Avis & Budget give 5 miles per £1
Hertz & Expedia 4 miles per £1
National 5 miles per £1
Nova (never heard of them) 24 miles! per £1
Sixt 4 miles per £1
Virgin Atlantic