For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913540 by AJWR
23 Nov 2015, 00:15
Hi all!!

I wonder if anyone can help. Every couple of weeks or so HiFly has an A340-300 hired in by someone to fly down to Espargos and onwards to somewhere in South America which FlightRadar24 does not cover. HiFlys 340-500 has been hired to fly down to I assume the same destination direct from Manchester and is currently on its way back, but I've got absolutely no idea where they're going to or why. HELP!! Does anyone know? Let me know if anyone has any ideas! :-D
#913563 by Fuzzy14
23 Nov 2015, 14:21
HiFly (formerly Air Luxor) are a wet lease and charter company, they were used this year by Thomas Cook to provide high season surge services to Orlando, much to the annoyance of people expecting the aircraft to the same as the brochure with seat back touch screen entertainment and indeed they're economy class only so the people who purchased premium seats were none too pleased.

So by their very nature they're pretty difficult to work out who they're working for, it's possibly one-off freight movements to deliver equipment. Checking FlightAware for recent movements

A340-3 CS-TQV last seen heading towards Espargos several weeks ago
A340-3 CS-TQZ last seen in Copenhagen 2 weeks ago
A340-5 CS-TFX leased out to Nigerian airline Arik Air, last seen in Copenhagen

Maybe try typing those reg nos. into the historical playback of FR24?
#913619 by AJWR
24 Nov 2015, 14:31
Thanks very much for the above :). TFX stopped by in Paris before returning to Manchester this morning after its return from the unknown destination, but I've tried the reg marks in FR24 and it does give the name of the airport, it only blanks it out, and the coverage stops during cruise before the aircraft land or take off from this wherever airport. I can only assume that it would be military flights that aren't to be made public or that there is just no coverage, but surely FR24 would know the destination of the flight? Anyway, any other ideas? Thanks in advance :-D