For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913830 by Salsasam
29 Nov 2015, 20:17
We always stay at the Premier Inn opposite North Terminal. Great hotel and staff and straight across the road from the terminal or monorail if flying out of South Terminal. Never had a complaint about anything there and we are using it twice next year. Has a good restaurant and bar area, but if you choose the Premier Inn and want an evening meal, I would recommend pre booking. :cool:
#913845 by Maximus
30 Nov 2015, 09:33
We have stayed at the Sofitel a couple of times when flying from LGW. They do Park & Stay deals. You will get an upgrade to the Club floor if you have Accor Platinum.
#913850 by dickydotcom
30 Nov 2015, 14:21
I use the Hilton and get an executive room which gives access to the lounge and free bar in the evening.
It is a short walk to the South Terminal. You can take a trolley from reception and leave it in the terminal.
When Virgin move to the North I will probably go for the Sofitel

Dick D
#913880 by mallin
01 Dec 2015, 11:24
Have stayed at both this year.

The Premier Inn was ok. check in was a bit peculiar as its all done on machines they do have staff to help you. The rooms are standard Premier Inn but do have AC, the lifts are small and its a problem getting space as everyone else with suitcases were also trying to get out, it went past many floors leaving frustrated customers and many went down the stairs lugging their baggage. the restaurant is also standard premier Inn nothing fancy just good basic grub, reserve as it can get very busy, they have a bar. Breakfast was self service very good again nothing fancy. If you can get a good price its alright.

When we stayed in October the prices were about the same as the Sofitel so went with that, booked a package through Holiday Extras through TCB as could not get the same deal direct with them. Booked a basic room which was very good and the evening meal and breakfast, which were absolutely excellent good helpings and good choice excellent service for the price it was amazing £150 all in, very quiet and lovely hotel.

We did not book any parking package with either hotel as they take your keys and park it elsewhere, so just booked Gatwick long stay through TCB, got the bus and walked through. There is also a new Hampton and Bloc hotels so cannot comment on those. These are my personal opinions and everyone to their own. Hope this helps. Linda
#913881 by starquake
01 Dec 2015, 12:42
I'd comment having parked twice at Sofitel and leaving keys - my car was not moved on either occasion - as had so much dust on it after 2 weeks it was amazing.

D
#913913 by Gavla
01 Dec 2015, 23:08
Thank you for all your informative replies!
We've decided on the Hilton and will upgrade the room. We'll be using the CH so no need for breakfast. We've also decided to book the official valet parking as it's slightly more expensive.

Gavla
#913957 by dickydotcom
03 Dec 2015, 09:18
Gavla wrote:Thank you for all your informative replies!
We've decided on the Hilton and will upgrade the room. We'll be using the CH so no need for breakfast. We've also decided to book the official valet parking as it's slightly more expensive.

Gavla

Good move skipping the Hilton breakfast. It is rubbish. Stupidly I have tried it twice thinking the first time was just bad luck but even at 6 in the morning the food appears to be many hours old.
Dick D
#913962 by pjh
03 Dec 2015, 12:25
dickydotcom wrote:
Gavla wrote:Thank you for all your informative replies!

Gavla

Good move skipping the Hilton breakfast. It is rubbish. Stupidly I have tried it twice thinking the first time was just bad luck but even at 6 in the morning the food appears to be many hours old.
Dick D

From many years experience of Hilton breakfasts my theory on the same is in this "Which LGW Hotel" thread.
Virgin Atlantic