For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#914606 by Bretty
21 Dec 2015, 18:01
So I got my luggage all sorted, as you do, and packed in advance, all ready for very cold weather in NYC over Christmas. You know the sort of thing; plenty of layers, thermal base layer, even invested in a lightweight feather down coat that's VERY warm.

I periodically tracked the weather over the last couple of weeks just to be sure. Only now, in the last couple of days, forecast has changed and it seems NYC is having a spell of mild weather, the average high during our short trip is going to be about 18 degrees (22 degrees on Christmas Eve!) and average lows look to be 8-12 degrees. Oh, and rain. Plenty of that.

I don't really know what I'm rambling about, suppose I'm just a tad excited, but at least with layers you can peel off or add according to conditions. Ho hum... dare I say "only 2 more sleeps". :cool: :cool:
#914607 by buns
21 Dec 2015, 18:21
Have a super time in NYC

I remember my first Christmas out there and I felt cheated that it was not like it is in the films - all snow and cold - and was sunny and warm :D

Still had a nice time though

buns
#914612 by Hev60
21 Dec 2015, 18:59
Hi Bretty, Just returned this morning from New York and what a mixture of weird weather. Absolutely nothing like on our previous Christmas shopping trips.

We arrived very late Thursday and it was raining very hard but oh so warm, even at 11pm.

Friday warm again, overcast and a few showers but we hit the shops :-) so it didn't matter. Certainly did not need a coat even in the evening walking around window shopping.

Saturday was cooler & dry. Took a trip on the ferry & walked around the Park, and in the evening we toured the christmas markets around Columbus Circle area.

Sunday was a lovely crisp bright day. ESB in the morning with gorgeous views, walked the Bridge from Brooklyn back into Manhattan, then spent some time around the Battery Park end, followed by an evening visit up the Rockafella Center and then listened to the carol singers.

Lots of crowds but that is to be expected. Thoroughly enjoyable long weekend break.

Their weather station kept referring to the record breaking warm temperatures for this time of the year but that it has been very wet. I must say there is alot of wet weather in the long range forcast for this week and very unseasonbably warm temperatures, but Christmas Day looks dry.

Make sure you pack your sunglasses, umbrella and like you say plenty of layers!

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your christmas in New York. Hev
#914613 by Bretty
21 Dec 2015, 19:20
Totally weird, but it's been the same here. Up here in Lincolnshire it's been like spring most of this month, and just today has started to get cooler. Anyway, I'm all excited! Gonna throw my sunglasses in my hand luggage now (thanks Hev60).
#914614 by pjh
21 Dec 2015, 19:23
It was the same when we went just before Christmas three years ago....

As you say, strange weather. Here in Cambridgeshire I noticed a bee outside the window, a wasp in the kitchen and the bulbs are coming up in the garden.

Have a great time.
#914618 by Bretty
21 Dec 2015, 21:22
Thanks Paul I'm sure I will. And you arrive a few days later don't you, with New Year's Eve in flight back?
#914620 by pjh
21 Dec 2015, 22:35
Bretty wrote:Thanks Paul I'm sure I will. And you arrive a few days later don't you, with New Year's Eve in flight back?

Indeed we do. Hopefully I'll be in a better mood by then.... :)
#914624 by Bretty
21 Dec 2015, 23:41
pjh wrote:
Bretty wrote:Thanks Paul I'm sure I will. And you arrive a few days later don't you, with New Year's Eve in flight back?

Sounds ominous...
#914627 by tontybear
21 Dec 2015, 23:54
And I fly out on the 1st on a nifty ex-CPH on BA/AA

Looks like lots of waving across terminals and sly !
#914629 by pjh
22 Dec 2015, 00:30
Bretty wrote:
pjh wrote:

Sounds ominous...

Just vexed that three quarters of a day off has been spent dealing with work issues instead of retirement planning. I'll get over it :)
#914630 by pjh
22 Dec 2015, 00:33
tontybear wrote:And I fly out on the 1st on a nifty ex-CPH on BA/AA

Looks like lots of waving across terminals and sly !

I'd say we should have a treasure hunt with each leaving something for the next to find though I suspect the authorities may not look too kindly upon items that have been hidden....
#914644 by Bretty
22 Dec 2015, 13:02
Now that would be fun Paul. Tonty are you up for that?

Sorry to read of your work woes Paul, it's frustrating.

Going back to weird weather. Driving through the neighbouring village this morning I noticed a cherry blossom tree in full bloom! Very strange indeed.
#914648 by Eggtastico
22 Dec 2015, 14:35
Enjoy.
Seems this El Nino Weather Phenomenon is having the opposite effect.
Just need to look at the snow reports. not a whiff of snow for the alps.
#914650 by Bretty
22 Dec 2015, 14:54
So weird but it's how it is now.
#914678 by marshy11
23 Dec 2015, 07:51
Just thought of you when the lovely Carol Kirkwood gave the BBC weather - "it's not just us, it's bonkers in New York with 21-22 degrees forecast there for tomorrow " - hope you've got your shorts and tees ready.

I will look forward to the wave from the CH later, have a great trip.
#914733 by mikethe3rd
24 Dec 2015, 00:19
There from the 5th to 9th... Seems to be back to normal by then unfortunately. Will hopefully be a nice final flight for me on an LHR 747. Going to be weird not seeing them at Heathrow.
Virgin Atlantic