For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#915708 by hunterdwmgzt
11 Jan 2016, 08:43
Hi,
just wondered if anybody could offer any first hand views/opinions on Grenada. We have only ever stayed in Barbados and were thinking of trying the Coyaba Beach Resort on Grand Anse beach in September as a change.
I guess what we are most worried about is whether it is as friendly as Barbados and as safe to walk or drive around?
Any views appreciated.

D.
#915711 by Sealink
11 Jan 2016, 10:23
It was years ago that I was in Grenada and I had a lovely time.
There is poverty there but I think most realise that tourism is helping end it.
I felt very safe. But like all destinations, wasn't flaunting jewellery or walking alone at night.
#915713 by gbysea
11 Jan 2016, 11:10
Hi
My wife and I are regular visitors to Grenada, and we fly out again on Thursday morning.
I consider Grenada to be the last truly Caribbean Island where all beaches are open to the public and all the hotels are low rise and as for the people, they have to be the friendliest in the Caribbean.
The island is very beautiful with lush tropical rain forest and golden sandy beaches, the capital St Georges is probable the most picturesque harbour in the Caribbean. The water is pure to drink and there is an abundance of tropical fruit and spices. Grenada is not a tourist trap and doesn’t have a great deal of nightlife, where evening entertainment is mainly set around the hotels. Coyaba beach resort occupies a superb position directly on Grand Anse beach which is probably one of the best in the Caribbean. I would highly recommend that you visit Grenada before it becomes a tourist trap as with most of the other island.
gbysea
#915748 by djack8
11 Jan 2016, 22:47
Mrs J and I are also regulars to Grenada. I am currently writing this from my hotel veranda in the north of the island. We have always found Grenada to be safe and it would agree with a previous comment regarding the poverty and locals acknowledging that tourism etc is helping. That said, where nowadays does not have poverty in one form or another?

We have stayed in the south and the north of the island and have found both to be equally lovely.

The locals are truly friendly people!!!

Dan
#915798 by FLYERZ
12 Jan 2016, 23:21
A bit late to the conversation but hope I can still offer some help. We have been to Grenada a total of four times, 3 in the last 6 years. We have only stayed at the Spice Island Beach Resort so cannot give direct experience on Coyaba however the Coyaba was one we looked at when we were first researching. Both hotels are on Grand Anse beach which in my opinion is on of the best beaches by far in the whole caribbean. Soft, white sandy beaches, fairly little seaweed (at least on the last two trips) and very clear blue waters.

Aside from Grand Anse and the Coyaba, having been to a number of the islands we have found the people in Grenada to be just as, if not more friendly and welcoming as Barbados. The island is very safe, though as per any tourist destination don't be complacent. Having said that, we felt very safe walking around St George's and whilst out on excursions. Tourism like many islands is the main economy driver and everyone from hotel staff, to stall owners and taxi drivers ensure that the tourists keep returning. Grenada....no hesitation!
#915817 by marshy11
13 Jan 2016, 11:43
A bit late here too.

We stayed in Coyaba for Christmas and New Year 2012 (into 2013). It was our best NYE ever! They can certainly host a party. Apologies for the clarity of the pics, it poured with rain for the first few days.

The beach is amazing, the island is amazing and the people are some of the most laid back in the Caribbean.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.22.png
There was never anyone on the beach.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.22.png (433.17 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

The hotel is ok. The rooms needed a makeover back then, bathrooms in the main needed updating and ours had issues with water pressure for the shower. They were great at trying to fix it and eventually they did enough for us to use it. We had an upgraded room. It came with two beds which were UK small doubles. Not big enough for me and hubby to sleep in together......the main reason we won't go back. The food was good, a variety of restaurants and lots of areas to sit and chill. It is beautiful to walk out of the hotel onto the beach. Grand Anse is an amazing beach.

From memory they were updating rooms whilst we were there, so hopefully it will all be done by now. I also think there was mention of rooms with larger beds, something which you may keep in mind if it two smaller ones would be the deal breaker.

The island is VERY safe. We flit between Antigua and Barbados and have found Grenada to be more friendly (a little slower) than both. If you get chance, do take in a tour of the island as the history is fascinating, the coup in 1974 was very interesting.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.46.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.46.png (391.75 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.34.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.34.34.png (332.85 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Virgin Atlantic