For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#915799 by FLYERZ
12 Jan 2016, 23:24
Hi all,

Looking to head to NYC fairly shortly in Feb/Early March and have found some savings on VS booking on Expedia, Skyscanner, Netflights .etc. I just wanted to check whether anyone has had any issues on these bookings in terms of OLCI, seat selection, collecting miles? Also to collect miles would I be able to simply input my Flying Club no. through manage my booking on the VS site?

Thanks in advance,
FLYERZ
#915804 by mitchja
13 Jan 2016, 00:56
No, it makes no difference what so ever.

I use Expedia a lot and with them, even your card payment is charged to the airline (minus Expedia's £10 admin charge , which is included in the total fare price they quote). No nasty credit card fees/charges with Expedia either.

Even if your Flying Club number isn't pushed through to the VS bookings section (which it usually is), Expedia issue the VS booking reference within minutes anyway.

Th only difference is you don't get a VS e-ticket email like you do if you book direct.
#915808 by gumshoe
13 Jan 2016, 05:44
The main disadvantage with booking via an OTA is if your itinerary changes - whether it's because the airline cancels your flight in advance or changes its schedule, or because you need to change your plans.

If that happens you need to call the OTA - not the airline - to discuss rebooking options etc and unfortunately they are not renowned for their customer service. Invariably overseas call centres whose agents may not be as able or willing to resolve things to your satisfaction as the airline would be if you'd booked direct with them.

By no means a reason not to book with an OTA - the vast majority of journeys go to plan and everything will be fine - but just something to be aware of.