For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#915900 by Bretty
14 Jan 2016, 15:28
Hi folks,

I've gradually come around to the idea of exploring Hilton hotels as they do have some nice premium properties and after staying at the marvellous Hilton Manchester on Deansgate, and the Conrad in New York, and the Hilton T4 LHR, I've been impressed. As a warning though, avoid the Hilton Nottingham at all costs; it's a hovel.

I'm planning a little theatre break in February and we'd normally stay at the Cavendish but I'm looking at alternatives in the Hilton portfolio.

Has anyone any experience of either the Hilton Park Lane or Conrad St James. We're just looking at one night, and would book an exec room with lounge access. Both hotels are currently roughly the same price which is making it harder to choose.

Thanks in advance,
John
#915903 by oldboy
14 Jan 2016, 16:12
Hi Bretty

We were looking at the Conrad only last weekend as have a London weekend in April, thought it looked good but in
the end we booked the Langham.
#915923 by buns
14 Jan 2016, 20:04
Hi Bretty

Know precisely what you mean about Hilton Hotels. I was at the one in Stansted on Friday and like the one in Nottingham, the ex Ladbrooke Hotels are really ones to avoid.

Mrs Buns and I have made the Hilton at Canary Wharf our Hilton of choice in London. Like the one at Tower Bridge (a stones throw away from London Bridge Station) both have a boutique feel about them and both have splendid Exec Rooms. The key point being that they are noramlly reasonably prices for exec room access and both have good links to the West End via the Jubilee Line.

Feedback I have hears on other social media is that the Hilton on Park Lane is too big to be concerned about offering a personal service and that it can be hit and miss with the rooms. I have just got back from the Conrad in Dubai and have become a fan of the brand, The one in London is a realtively new one in London (next to New Scotland Yard and St Jamess Park Ungerground Station as opposed to being in st James area of London) and started life as an Intercontinal before changing franchise

Hope this is of help

buns
#915927 by hazban
14 Jan 2016, 21:34
Have used the Tower Bridge Hilton many times and find it very comfortable and the executive lounge is good. Few weeks ago tried the new one at Bankside, near the Tate Modern, very nice property and the lounge is very good though some of the evening appetisers were a bit tiny!
For a theatre weekend my choice would be The Waldorf , more traditional but a great location on Aldwich. Easy walk to many theatres and Covent Garden. Can sometimes be a bit expensive, but to a man of means and first class expectations like yourself that wouldn't be a problem.
#915929 by pjh
14 Jan 2016, 22:05
Another vote for the Tower Bridge Hilton, which is our choice when in London. The Waldorf at Aldwych is ok, thought the exec lounge can get crowded. I can also give you a list of properties to avoid, but I think they'd be below your radar anyway.

I must admit to a little bit of surprise for your enthusiasm for the Deansgate Hilton. :) It has good rooms and wonderful views over one of the truly great cities, but since they merged the exec lounge with Cloud23 at peak times it's become a zoo on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Has an - thanks for the opinion on Bankside.
#915930 by Bretty
14 Jan 2016, 22:10
Thanks for the replies. I must say I'm leaning more towards the Conrad than the Park Lane, but will check out the others.
I'm not keen on the Waldorf, it's now a Waldorf Hilton rather than Waldorf Astoria so isn't part of the prestigious Waldorf chain any longer. It looks nice, but the photos of the rooms look very dated, especially the exec rooms! But it would be ideal for West End.

Paul the Deansgate Hilton, in my experience, keeps an area of the exec longer quite separate from the cloud 23 bar, although admittedly there is a door to go between the two. I do like it though, and the canapés and drinks are plentiful.

Thanks again folks
#915931 by Bretty
14 Jan 2016, 22:47
After all that it looks like I might be sticking with The Cavendish, which will keep him indoors happy. They don't have a loyalty programme but they do remember tgeircfrequentvguests and I've just found an email from October offering me 20% discount on any room with breakfast. Seems like no brainer, and I'll save my Hilton stays for Manchester etc.

Thanks again.
#915950 by Neil
15 Jan 2016, 14:43
Another vote for either Tower Bridge or Canary Wharf. We tend to prefer the Canary Wharf, it's still only a short DLR/Tube ride in to central London but it feels a less touristy hotel. The exec lounges at both are excellent.

Re the Hilton Deansgate, I have to say, we hated our stay there. Average rooms, okay exec lounge, poor staff, so so breakfast, we much prefer the DoubleTree in Manchester even without an exec lounge to use. They look after diamonds very well there.

Neil
#915951 by Daffodil
15 Jan 2016, 15:04
We stayed 3 times at the Conrad St James last year its our favourite hotel to stay in London.
Below is our last TripAdvisor report from last July and explains the main reasons why we like it so much.
“A Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 starsReviewed 21 July 2015
We arrived at midday for a perfect check-in (welcome back, diamond member recognition and reminder of benefits available, room upgraded and immediately available, late check-out arranged).
The executive room (643) was lovely and had a room divider with TV that revolved between the bedroom and sitting room/desk area, a nice bathroom with deep soaking tub and separate shower. Turndown service
The Executive Lounge served afternoon tea from 3pm to 5pm with finger sandwiches; scones, jam and cream; a lovely lemon posset; cake; macaroons –the only thing missing from a £50+ afternoon tea was the cake stand and champagne.
The evening offering from 5:30pm to 7:30pm in the Executive Lounge was shish kebab with salsa, cold meats and a cheese board with wines, beers and spirits till 8pm.
We could choose to take breakfast in the main dining room, the Executive Lounge or in our room (£5 tray charge). Our preference on this occasion was to use the main restaurant where there was a hot and cold buffet area plus the waiter takes orders for eggs etc.
All of the staff we met (doormen, receptionist, cleaners, executive lounge staff and manager, waiters) were a delight and helped make a perfect stay.
As the St James Underground station was closed for the weekend we found walking through the park pleasant (Piccadilly or Trafalgar Square 15 - 20 minutes).

Room Tip: Room with Executive Lounge access worth it.
See more room tips
Stayed July 2015, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Sleep Quality
5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Service

We also stayed last October and had another wonderful stay.
The St James underground is right opposite the hotel making it easy for trips to the theatre etc.
We were also offered an instant free upgrade from our basic room to the executive room via our online account directly after making the booking.
We are very tempted to book again in February with some dates at just £161 per night for HH members.
#915958 by Fabflygirl
15 Jan 2016, 17:45
I have a stay at the Conrad in 2 weeks. It will be my first stay at this property. I normally stay at Hilton Tower Bridge which is fabulous and one of my faves. It has a nice executive lounge and the lounge downstairs is chic and good for late night cocktails. They always treat me very well when I am there. I have to say though, I am looking forward to the Conrad. It has many excellent reviews and I booked it over the new Hilton Bankside property. I will report back after my stay.
#915959 by pjh
15 Jan 2016, 17:58
Fabflygirl wrote:I have a stay at the Conrad in 2 weeks. It will be my first stay at this property. I normally stay at Hilton Tower Bridge which is fabulous and one of my faves. It has a nice executive lounge and the lounge downstairs is chic and good for late night cocktails. They always treat me very well when I am there. I have to say though, I am looking forward to the Conrad. It has many excellent reviews and I booked it over the new Hilton Bankside property. I will report back after my stay.

I've just booked a night at each for a couple of our theatre weekends. Looking forward to trying the St James.

Our only problem with the Tower Bridge is our tendency towards overindulgence in the lounge, which last time involved us in cahoots with a Welsh version of Gogglebox's Steph and Dom.
Virgin Atlantic