For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#916057 by Hev60
18 Jan 2016, 00:09
So this subject was mentioned in a previous post today but as that thread was about the new UC amenity kit (a big improvement I will add!) I thought I'd start a new thread on the subject of the dreaded surcharges!

I was looking at flights to nyc for December, which I certainly wouldn't book at the current price but for once I read the 'fare breakdown' info. On an UC flight to ny costing £2129, there is a "carrier surcharge of £269 :-O

I then researched further to see what this applies to and got this comment : We might be able to fly in the sky, but there is no escaping the cost of fuel and other charges

Can you imagine if there was suddenly another world crisis which meant oil prices increased, I bet the airline companies would be quick to increase those surcharges again. It's true what Kraken wrote "Same as the energy companies - very quick to crank prices up when oil / gas / coal prices rise, but much slower to reduce them when they fall".

At least the petrol prices have reduced considerably in the past year following the fall in the price of oil.

I guess for as long as we all pay these extra charges, on top of the base air fare, then the airlines or whoever would be stupid to pass on their oil price savings - they simply bank it for profit.

That's my moan over :D
Last edited by Hev60 on 18 Jan 2016, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
#916058 by Hamster
18 Jan 2016, 00:24
(BTW I could be completely wrong with this, but this is what I have understood to of happened, not that I've really looked into it)
There was a class action lawsuit against BA regarding their "Fuel Surcharge" baring no relation to the price of fuel (or something along those lines!). Around the time it got to court BA changed its name to "Carrier Imposed Surcharges".

It makes no difference to cash fare, only time it is an "issue" is for reward tickets. If they got rid of the surcharge they would simply increase the number of points required to offset the lost revenue, so its swings and roundabouts really.
#916063 by SlimpyJones
18 Jan 2016, 11:54
Alas, I imagine the same can be said in any industry where travel is involved. Fuel prices have plummeted yet has my weekly bus ticket reduced in price? Certainly not, in fact it keeps going up.