For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#916346 by WPIL
25 Jan 2016, 14:33
Hello, wondering if anyone can help.

Looking to either Buy or Lease a small second car and hoping to put between £1K and £2K down using an American Express to hit a miles bonus payments.

Can anyone suggest any companies that may be able to accommodate?

Many thanks
#916353 by cooperman
25 Jan 2016, 19:52
Amex for buying cars is probably restricted to "Prestige" marques that can manage to absorb the ludicrously high Merchant Service Fees (commission) that Amex charge any retailer ....cars, shopping,clothes petrol,flights etc.

At a rate of around 2.5% to 3.5% of the transaction, a "normal"car dealer's margin won't be able to stand that sort of "cost of sale".

I am of course assuming that:
A: You aren't buying a Bentley or Ferrari
and
B; You are NOT in USA where Amex is a second currency.
(I have purchased a few cars in USA using Amex but that was years ago!)

Most UK car dealerships will accept MasterCard and Visa....some might charge a fee to cover the cost of the merchant service fee on a a large transaction.

Sorry if I burst your bubble but that's how a lot of V Flyers earn FC Miles...and the retailer pays

Paul
#916364 by DragonLady
25 Jan 2016, 23:44
Unfortunately I've no experience of buying Ferraris or Bentleys :) but when I placed my MINI order the dealership would only allow me to put the deposit on my AMEX. I asked if I could pay the remaining balance on my AMEX ( no finance involved ) but they said no . They also declined payment by Visa/ Mastercard and insisted on a BACS transfer when the car was eventually delivered.
Given its not a massive spend you're looking to achieve to hit your bonus have you thought of other ways of hitting this ( and you probably have :))?
DL
#916383 by WPIL
26 Jan 2016, 13:51
Thanks for the replies, confirmed my initial request. No plans either for a Bentley! I did buy a Car last year and was able to put about £3K down under my Virgin Card (may have been the Visa one not the Amex?) but only looking for a small second car now.

May have to buy a Sofa or a TV as looking to move in the next few months and not pick it up straight way
#916457 by Maximus
27 Jan 2016, 20:45
Paid the deposit on my Bentley using Amex BAPP card.
#916458 by Maximus
27 Jan 2016, 20:46
Damn this predictive texting, I meant VW :blush:
Virgin Atlantic