For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#917826 by sythe20
23 Feb 2016, 06:45
We are risking getting the NX to LHR for our upcoming UC flight this time.

I'm quite nervous as the coach connects in Exeter at 06:20, and we are due to arrive there at 06:15. I'm worried that if the first coach is delayed we could lose our Clubhouse time, and I would be gutted to say the least. We are leaving at 5am, due at LHR at 09:50, flight not until 15:15.

This theoretically gets us there with PLENTY of time to spare, however missing the connection would give us just 1 hour...

Has anyone used NX before? All they could say was that the connecting coach doesn't wait if the first one is delayed, which doesn't help!
#917895 by Maximus
24 Feb 2016, 07:48
As you say "we are risking"...

Personally I would not take such a risk.

One option may be to stay in Exeter overnight. I assume you are coming up from Plymouth/ Cornwall? There is a Jurys Inn near the bus staion in Exeter. And plenty of other city centre hotels.

The roads may be quiet at thet time but 5 minutes is so little time.
#917904 by gumshoe
24 Feb 2016, 14:18
A 5 minute connection seems very risky unless the second coach is guaranteed to wait for the first.

I'd try and get to LHR the night before, book an airport hotel, nice leisurely breakfast in the morning then aim to arrive at T3 about 11.30 giving you 3 hours of Clubhouse time.
#917913 by tontybear
24 Feb 2016, 18:18
sythe20 wrote:
This theoretically gets us there with PLENTY of time to spare, however missing the connection would give us just 1 hour...

Just one hour for what?

To check-in/drop bags off/ clear security/ board or all of that plus 1hour in the CH?

Allowing to arrive 60 minutes before the flight is a guarantee of stress!
#917917 by mikethe3rd
24 Feb 2016, 20:00
I would be tempted to do the journey the night before. If you can't, I'd personally fly from EXT to LCY and get an Uber or public transport to Heathrow.
#917925 by Darren Wheeler
24 Feb 2016, 22:22
Another vote for travelling up the night before.

Arriving just one hour before departure with baggage may well mean missing your flight as check-in closes 1 hour before the scheduled departure time if you have bags to drop off.
#917928 by honey lamb
25 Feb 2016, 00:10
I wouldn't even think of chancing a five minute connection between the two coaches, especially as the next one leaves you at the even greater risk of not making your flight. And just think of the unearthly hour you would have to get up to catch the first one. You'd be wrecked before you even got on board your flight and wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

My advice would be to travel up the night before and stay in an hotel and relax! Don't bother with breakfast in the hotel. Go to the airport and enjoy the CH nicely refreshed after a good night's sleep.
#917929 by CHill710
25 Feb 2016, 00:24
Another vote for traveling the day before. Of the last four journeys I have made on national express from Weymouth or Bournemouth to London or LHR only one has arrived on time the other three were at least 30 mins late due to traffic.
#917933 by oldboy
25 Feb 2016, 08:53
Another vote for travelling to LHR the night before, even if it meant arriving early hours of the morning.
#917960 by sythe20
25 Feb 2016, 16:14
Hi all, thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately travelling the day before isn't an option due to work, otherwise it would have been a given. Hence now the early coach is booked.

To clarify, the one with the Exeter connection from Plymouth is the earliest, and if on time would arrive at 09:50 (flight at 15:15).

There is a later direct bus due to arrive at 11am. The only option we would have is to switch to this one.

I just wondered if anyone had an experience of connecting NX coaches, as i'm worried that we should have picked the direct bus even though it arrives later. As said if NX don't make the connection time in Exeter we would have to get the next one and arrive at LHR approx 13:00 which gives roughly an hour for CH, check in etc.

There is a bus leaving around 3:00am direct to LHR, but as someone said I think i'd be so tired i wouldn't enjoy the CH.
:blush:
Virgin Atlantic