For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#918404 by Karen w
05 Mar 2016, 19:19
Hi all, can anyone recommend a web site where I can hire a car for a pick up in San Francisco and drop off San Diego? So far every site seems to be giving a 400 dollar on way fee which is cool virtually doubling the cost!
#918416 by ScoobySu
05 Mar 2016, 21:02
I agree with Darren - last year we had a one way hire from Los Angeles to Las Vegas (so starting in California and ending in Nevada) booked with Virgin Holidays but through the Virgin Atlantic website and there were no one way hire fees.

The cost was also very reasonable - from memory it was £ 55 for a convertible (choice of Camaro or Mustang) with the Gold Package for the 24 hour booking. The supplier ended up being Alamo and we had no problems at all - and of course got a few miles as well ;-)
#918422 by Karen w
06 Mar 2016, 00:07
Thanks all, I did a bit more googling and I think the problem may be our dates and the fact that we are starting in SF, seems to be special rules for July and August, so may be we won't be the only people on the Pacific highway in August. Have managed to get an ok deal with Avis that we have booked as a back up but will look at your suggestions. My OH is very definite on what vehicle he wants and there was nothing "suitable" on the virgin site. I can't complain though as he is paying for the flights and I get to choose the hotels. Very excited to be flying UC for the first time.
#918425 by Vegascrazy
06 Mar 2016, 07:49
I wasn't aware that any of the major car hire companies charge one ways for rentals starting & ending in CA, NV & AZ. Over the last 15 years we've used Alamo, Hertz & Dollsr & never been charged. Including starting at San Francisco and ending at San Diego. Last year we picked up in Palm Springs, CA & dropped in Las Vegas (Hertz) with no fee.
#918436 by Neil
06 Mar 2016, 10:54
Agree with vegascrazy, we've done numerous one way rentals in California and never been charged a one way few. Hertz has been our
Preferred choice most recently and they defiantly don't.
#918728 by Eggtastico
13 Mar 2016, 09:06
it can be worth playing with your drop off location.
I managed to avoid the fee by dropping off at DC airport, instead of downtown for example.
That was with Hertz & booked via .com & not .co.uk!
#919169 by Martin5192
25 Mar 2016, 17:02
Always use Alamo who have no charge for one way rental. We pick up in SFO and return to LAX.
Alamo also let you pick your own vehicle from the row of your class. So just wonder along the line and have a look inside , choose the one you want, load up your luggage and drive to the barrier where its all sorted.
Easy...
Virgin Atlantic