For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#918782 by Maximus
14 Mar 2016, 14:09
This morning I did something I rarely do: booked a flight more or less on a whim :-O Spontaneity, whetever next? ;-)

Usually I plan trips for weeks, or months, before I even book a flight. But we have two BA Amex vouchers to use (the other one I am using for Japan next year) and to be honest I need to use it so it does not go to "waste". Choices for long haul flights (the voucher has little value on short haul trips) were limited and most destinations did not take our fancy. Thailand and Cape Town in January had long sold out. And then I saw Tampa and thought, "why not"? A bit of winter sun and relaxation in the New Year, what a great idea. So now it is booked. And I have second thoughts.

We are visiting Miami and the Keys (with a quick trip to the Kennedy Space Center) next month. So we will have seen part of Florida already by then (we have never visited the State before). I hope we like it!!!

I know several V-Flyers regularly visit the West of Florida, so what is it about the area that makes it so great? Is it any different from the East Florida coast? Your enthusiastic replies about the area would be appreciated :cool:
#918784 by Janeclar
14 Mar 2016, 14:18
The Gulf Coast is civilised compared with much of Florida - lots of wildlife including dolphins, turtles, manatees, alligators etc, beautiful beaches and restaurants that are not usually too busy! Life is relaxed - it is easy to park at the supermarket or beach, and the climate is wonderful!
#918786 by dickydotcom
14 Mar 2016, 16:19
Janeclar wrote:The Gulf Coast is civilised compared with much of Florida - lots of wildlife including dolphins, turtles, manatees, alligators etc, beautiful beaches and restaurants that are not usually too busy! Life is relaxed - it is easy to park at the supermarket or beach, and the climate is wonderful!

I agree, one of my best holidays was on Marco Island, albeit 20 years ago. It would be my second favourite place, only beaten by where I am now for a nice civilized slow pace of life.

Dick D
#918789 by hiljil
14 Mar 2016, 17:47
I've been trying very hard to think of something extra to add to the previous comments but they have summed it all up very well. I personally think the Gulf of Mexico is superior to the Atlantic for both swimming and boating. Also, I think the west has more of the old style Florida that I enjoy. I can only add that the East coast tends to get more of the college kids on breaks - so if you like that pace of life perhaps the West coast will disappoint ! :-D
#918790 by Neil
14 Mar 2016, 18:26
Naples, while a bit more southern than Tampa is beautiful. Fantastic beaches, chilled atmosphere, nice restaurants, just overall very relaxing, definitely worth a visit, we are returning for a longer stay this year after a quick visit last we enjoyed it so much.

During the winter months the whole Gulf Coast is very busy and popular with the American 'Snow Birds', this does push the accommodation prices high, but it also shows why it is very popular.
#918791 by Traveller2
14 Mar 2016, 19:00
We have spent many great holiday on the Gulf Coast in places such as Clearwater Beach/Sand Key, Sarasota/Lido Key, St Pete Beach. Having said that, we love the Keys and they are by far our favourite destination in Florida and were our favourite place to holiday....until we discovered Cape Town! Hope you enjoy your visit to the Keys.
#918792 by pjh
14 Mar 2016, 19:05
OK, you've convinced me certainly. Being lazy though I am compelled to throw myself on V-Flyer mercy to ask "what's the best routing to get there?"

Traveller2 wrote:our favourite place to holiday....until we discovered Cape Town!

Any top tips for Cape Town? We are heading there for four days in August as part of a trip to South Africa.
#918795 by Maximus
14 Mar 2016, 21:10
Thanks all, a quieter pace of life certainly suits me. And the wildlife will be another plus.

I have 10 months to plan though :D
#918799 by hazban
15 Mar 2016, 00:37
On the Gulf Coast at present, 83f in Sarasota with a nice breeze! Very pleasant. It's the 'dry season' at present in the summer expect high humidity, thunderstorms,and the occasional tornado or hurricane!
Can't add too much to the other positive comments, much prefer the white sandy beaches on this side of Florida (but equally nice down the Keys) .
Check out local holidays and if they conflict with yours book in advance if you want to stay in a particular hotel or resort, it's spring break at the moment and I haven't always managed my first choice. Marco Island is great for a few nights, depends what you want to do, fry on the beach or do something more interesting.
I'm sure once you've been here you will want to return. :cool:
#918810 by lovetoholiday
15 Mar 2016, 11:45
We spent a very pleasant week on Marco Island in 2012 after a hectic week in Orlando.
It was lovely. We hired a condo with amazing sea views. There were a lot of 'snow birds' , they were very impressed that we had ventured away from the parks.
Not a cheap place, I think we paid £1500 for a week in a 2 bed place.
A boat tour of the ten thousand islands is a must for dolphin spotting.

I have also heard clearwater is a great destination too, might try that next time.
#918811 by lovetoholiday
15 Mar 2016, 11:47
#918812 by mitchja
15 Mar 2016, 12:55
I've stayed in the Indian rocks Beach area which is nice, relaxed and very laid back, not a Starbucks or McD's in site :) It's a little bit further down the coast from Clearwater. Only a couple of hotels and motels there.

The beach is amazing there.

Easy to drive to from MCO and takes about 90mins. You jump on the I4 towards Tampa and then the I75.
#918818 by Traveller2
15 Mar 2016, 14:55
Cape Town is a wonderful place to holiday IMHO. There is so much to see and do. If you are hiring a car, make sure you spend some time in the beautiful Winelands, drive to Boulders Beach (on the way to Cape Point) to see the penguins, visit the Two Oceans Aquarium and take a boat trip to Robben Island. Four days really isn't long enough to scratch the surface!
#918822 by pjh
15 Mar 2016, 15:24
Traveller2 wrote:Cape Town is a wonderful place to holiday IMHO. There is so much to see and do. If you are hiring a car, make sure you spend some time in the beautiful Winelands, drive to Boulders Beach (on the way to Cape Point) to see the penguins, visit the Two Oceans Aquarium and take a boat trip to Robben Island. Four days really isn't long enough to scratch the surface!

Thought that might be the case. We're in the classic trying to do too much in too short a time with too much driving. I'd originally planned a longer trip but the two offspring are constrained to only two weeks holiday in the summer, and and we're also fitting in Durban / Rorke's Drift / Safari.
#918827 by Traveller2
15 Mar 2016, 18:40
Don't worry, it will only be the first of many holidays to South Africa I'm pretty sure!! It took me years of persuasion to get my snake phobic husband to agree to go. He really thought he was going to be set upon by snakes the moment he hit South African soil!!!! When he finally got there he had a wonderful time and said it was the best holiday he had ever had. It was the first of many wonderful trips we took there. I should add that he used to check under the beds every night with a torch.....just in case!!!
#918834 by pjh
15 Mar 2016, 20:17
Traveller2 wrote:Don't worry, it will only be the first of many holidays to South Africa I'm pretty sure!! It took me years of persuasion to get my snake phobic husband to agree to go. He really thought he was going to be set upon by snakes the moment he hit South African soil!!!! When he finally got there he had a wonderful time and said it was the best holiday he had ever had. It was the first of many wonderful trips we took there. I should add that he used to check under the beds every night with a torch.....just in case!!!

Thanks. MrsPJH was born in Durban (one of the reasons for the trip) and regales us with tales of snakes in the swimming pool :) I had the same kind of caution as Mr T in respect of spiders in Australia when away from Sydney, looking particularly for the small, extremely venomous, kind. All was well until the morning I was wandering about on the porch of our accommodation talking a phone call and somewhat distracted, when I blundered into a large cobweb with a very tiny spider in the upper corner, about a foot away from my nose. I backed off rather rapidly....

Anyway, back to Florida where I presume the gators are at least a little more visible.
#918916 by mikethe3rd
17 Mar 2016, 21:46
We normally base ourselves in Cape Coral as you can get a lot more for your money. We tend to rent a 4+ bed villa on the canal around where Rumrunners is. This is important for two reasons... 1) Walking distance to a restaurant/bar. 2) It takes a lot less time getting out onto the gulf on the boat.

We travel the area via boat and head on daytrips to Cayo Costa, Captiva and sometimes we'll venture out in the car for a look around but as the boat is a novelty that tends to be our mode of transport. You don't require a boating license in Florida but do take it easy on your first time - it can be very shallow and go from 15' to 1' in a few seconds.
#918920 by Maximus
18 Mar 2016, 05:00
That stork looks like it is walking towards a whole lot of trouble :-O
#918926 by thelaceys
18 Mar 2016, 11:50
Janeclar wrote:From the North of England I am flying MAN-ATL and ATL-RSW in November to stay in Englewood. This avoids the long drive from Orlando.

Hey Janeclar, sshshshsh, we never talk about Englewood, that's a secret place, lovely and quiet, beautiful parks and wildlife, laid back easy life. Fab places to eat and close enough to use as a base to Sarasota etc. :cool: :cool:
#918945 by pjh
18 Mar 2016, 19:06
dickydotcom wrote:
    Golf and gaitors. Today here in South Carolina about 10ft off the fairway.

Dick D

Reminds me of (a) my only time in Carolina which included (b) my only time on a golf course, where if you went to find a ball hit into the water or into undergrowth you were met by notices advising that a losing a golf ball was the lesser of two evils, the other being bitten by a Copperhead.
    Virgin Atlantic