For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#919050 by stevedaley
22 Mar 2016, 10:41
Our sympathies go out to all who have been killed our injured.

We are due to fly out of BRU next month on an ex EU trip to MCO. If the airport at Brussels has not reopened by then, would we be able to contact VS and make our own way to Gatwick or would they just cancel the whole itinerary?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Steve
#919053 by TimCrawley
22 Mar 2016, 11:36
+1 to what PJH said, with the phone network being a bit 'offline' in Brussels I haven't had confirmation from friends and colleagues that all are ok but hoping they are and that the casualty list doesn't grow any worse at the airport or metro station.

On Steve's question - I just completed a BRU-LHR-LGW-LAS and return trip so if this had happened to me on the day of flying I would first have contacted the operator of the BRU-LHR leg (BA in my case) and if they had said flight cancelled and we have no alternatives for you then I would have said ok, I'll get from BRU to UK myself will you (BA) please notify the operator of the next leg (VS in my case for LGW-LAS) that I will be arriving to checkin for that flight.

The actual damage at BRU is confined to the checkin area (airside is entirely undamaged) so any airport shutdown will be depending on how long they need for forensics and to setup alternative checkin facilities through to security .... normally 'something' of a limited service nature will be operating out of BRU within 72 hours but whether it will be a full service by the end of the month simply can't be known yet.
#919063 by Eggtastico
22 Mar 2016, 16:56
pjh wrote:Hope that the only impact on V-Flyers is more security and delay.

I hope we don't change anything. What they going to do?
Make you 'bag drop' before check-in?
make everyone have clear transparent suitcases?
More checks, will just cause bigger queues.
Bigger queues mean a repeat of what happened today would likely end with more deaths.

We cant let them affect our way of life.
#919065 by pjh
22 Mar 2016, 18:43
Eggtastico wrote:
pjh wrote:Hope that the only impact on V-Flyers is more security and delay.

I hope we don't change anything. What they going to do?
Make you 'bag drop' before check-in?
make everyone have clear transparent suitcases?
More checks, will just cause bigger queues.
Bigger queues mean a repeat of what happened today would likely end with more deaths.

We cant let them affect our way of life.

Just to clarify, I wasn't proposing that anything be changed anything, rather recognising the reality that today there would be a security reaction of some kind, and if that's the worst impact on us, well that's fine.

I agree on your thinking, particularly that it seems today it wasn't luggage that contained the devices, and thus would be no sense in increasing those checks.
Virgin Atlantic