For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#919888 by LucyLu
11 Apr 2016, 16:13
As we're flying out to BGI in PE next month, we were contemplating booking a lounge at LGW South terminal. Is the no1 lounge any good or are we better off just making do with the terminal?

The other thing we were considering was staying the night before at the Holiday inn as we have some IHG points to use. Does anyone have any comments on that?
#919894 by gumshoe
11 Apr 2016, 18:45
Dick - that No.1 Lounge has now closed to make way for BA's new lounge complex. A new, larger one opened a month or so ago in the area formerly occupied by the Servisair lounge.

LucyLu - if you're flying PE, you can sometimes pay for access to the VS Clubhouse. But it's subject to availability on the day and never guaranteed. Otherwise the No.1 Lounge is your best (and only) bet. As third party lounges go it's not bad with hot food and a decent bar. You can pay on the day but it's cheaper to prebook (and you're guaranteed entry if it's busy). If you book via the VS website you get a better rate plus earn FC miles.
#919902 by LucyLu
11 Apr 2016, 20:38
Yeah I was aware that access to the Clubhouse might be possible, but I figured it might be unlikely since it sounds like VH have been offering it to its PE customers due to the VRoom being closed.

Maybe we'll give the No1 lounge a go.
#919949 by Traveller2
12 Apr 2016, 19:19
We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Gatwick a few times. It's about a five minute drive from the airport. We like the fact that they actually keep your car on site. The rooms are typical HI rooms and there is a bar/restaurant which serves pretty good food. In the morning you can get the shuttle bus to the terminal. They get quite busy so you need to book the one you want to catch and get down to reception early in order to get a seat. You will no doubt have done Twilight Check in so won't have too much luggage to get onto the bus?
#919954 by LucyLu
12 Apr 2016, 21:59
We were planning on getting a taxi to LGW, so parking won't be an issue, but I'm not sure we'll bother with twilight checkin as we'll have to get to the airport and back to the hotel. We'll do OLCI the day before at home and have got the seats allocated in PE that we want, so hopefully it should be OK.
#920175 by LucyLu
18 Apr 2016, 16:19
We've booked the No1 lounge now, so I will report back when we've been there.

Just need to decide whether to go to the Holiday Inn the night before now. Does anyone know if their shuttle service to the airport is any good? I've read some reviews where people talk about getting a taxi to the airport as the shuttle service can be really busy. We'll have quite a lot of luggage (4-5 bags plus hand luggage as we're taking the kitchen sink along with dive gear, football team kit, rugby gear, half a tonne of Cadbury's chocolate etc etc)
Virgin Atlantic