For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#920220 by thelaceys
19 Apr 2016, 19:29
My ESTA will run out on the day we land back in Blighty. Is this OK does anyone know, or does it need to have six months on it the other side of our holiday, like you do on passports.

Thank you oh wise ones :D
#920224 by sungod
19 Apr 2016, 19:33
should be ok

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... f-approval says...

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period.

If your ESTA expires while in the US it will not affect your departure.
#920227 by thelaceys
19 Apr 2016, 19:36
Ah thank you very much indeed. So it looks like it will be fine then. I appreciate your super speedy reply :)
#920230 by tontybear
19 Apr 2016, 19:49
thelaceys wrote:My ESTA will run out on the day we land back in Blighty. Is this OK does anyone know, or does it need to have six months on it the other side of our holiday, like you do on passports.

Thank you oh wise ones :D

There is NO requirement to have 6 months extra validity past your departure date from the US on your passport for the US. That ended a long time ago.

As long as it expires after you leave the US that is all that matters. The CBP agent will reduce the length of the WT visa from 90 days down to the expiry date should it be less than 90 days though.
#920240 by Traveller2
19 Apr 2016, 21:01
You do not have to wait for your current ESTA to run out before you get a new one, so if you wanted to, you could get a new one before you go.
#920241 by Bretty
19 Apr 2016, 21:32
CBP will send an email to remind you about a month before that your ESTA is due to expire, and if you renew within 30 days before it expires it will flag up on your application that you have an existing ESTA.
#920242 by tontybear
19 Apr 2016, 21:49
Traveller2 wrote:You do not have to wait for your current ESTA to run out before you get a new one, so if you wanted to, you could get a new one before you go.

Though, depending on how often you visit the US, it might be better to let it just expire and get a new one shortly before your next trip.
#920252 by dickydotcom
20 Apr 2016, 07:48
I hate leaving things to the last minute and my plan was to renew our passports in September even though they don't expire until July 17
Our annual jaunt is out in Feb back in March.
We thought we needed six months valid for our trip.
So now, based on all of the above I'll apply in January and IF there is a hold-up with passports we should be able to use the existing passports without problem.
I did renew mother in law's passport a few weeks ago just so she had some ID for banking purposes.
I posted the application on the Monday and the new passport arrived on the Friday!
Useful thread, thanks.
Dick D
#920261 by Fuzzy14
20 Apr 2016, 13:15
Remember, new passport = new ESTA!

There is no need to have 6 months on your (UK) passport no matter what travel agents think. Your Esta can expire the day you land in America and your passport can expire the day you leave America (obviously that's taking things a bit close to the bone...)
#920262 by gumshoe
20 Apr 2016, 13:32
Yes, I wouldn't recommend that! If for whatever reason your flights are delayed overnight (which can easily happen), you'd be in considerable strife. And even if everything's on time a passport or ESTA that's about to expire may attract some unwelcome interest by the CBP agent.

It may be allowed but it doesn't mean they'll like it and a suspicious CBP agent can make life very difficult if he/she thinks there's a chance you'll overstay or end up being in the US without a valid passport.
#920292 by moodyblue
21 Apr 2016, 10:25
An ESTA only needs to be valid on the day you enter USA. On our last visit our ESTAs expired 2 days after entering USA at MCO. If you wish you can confirm that on the ESTA website. You do not need an ESTA o be valid for the whole of your stay in USA.
#920295 by Maximus
21 Apr 2016, 12:25
dickydotcom wrote:I hate leaving things to the last minute and my plan was to renew our passports in September even though they don't expire until July 17

So now, based on all of the above I'll apply in January and IF there is a hold-up with passports we should be able to use the existing passports without problem.
Dick D

Do you not need to send your existing passports to the Passport Office with your renewalapplication? I think you do. So if there is a hold-up you would not have a passport to use.
#920297 by gumshoe
21 Apr 2016, 13:29
You do, yes.

So Dick, if your current ESTA expires before your next trip to the US I'd renew your passport in November or December (assuming you don't need it then), as they'll automatically add up to 9 months to the new one to make up for the time you lose by cancelling the old one early. Then apply for your new ESTA a couple of weeks before you leave for the US (it's usually approved instantly but that'll allow enough contingency time in case it isn't).

If, however, your current ESTA expires after your next trip to the US, I'd travel on your old passport so you don't lose the ESTA, then renew your passport when you get back.
#920310 by dickydotcom
21 Apr 2016, 18:41
gumshoe wrote:You do, yes.

So Dick, if your current ESTA expires before your next trip to the US I'd renew your passport in November or December (assuming you don't need it then), as they'll automatically add up to 9 months to the new one to make up for the time you lose by cancelling the old one early. Then apply for your new ESTA a couple of weeks before you leave for the US (it's usually approved instantly but that'll allow enough contingency time in case it isn't).

If, however, your current ESTA expires after your next trip to the US, I'd travel on your old passport so you don't lose the ESTA, then renew your passport when you get back.

Didn't realise it was up to 9 months added. Sept it is then for renewal as per the original plan.
I'd also forgotten about sending in the old one although I think there is a let out clause on that if you can't find it.
Dick D
#920313 by tontybear
21 Apr 2016, 20:10
dickydotcom wrote:Didn't realise it was up to 9 months added. Sept it is then for renewal as per the original plan.
I'd also forgotten about sending in the old one although I think there is a let out clause on that if you can't find it.
Dick D

Let out clause? Not sure about that.

You have to formally report the 'loss' on the appropriate form and it can delay the issuing of a new one.

What they'll do is immediately cancel the old one so it will be invalid and that will cancel any attached ESTA. If you try and use it it can get you into a lot of trouble not only with the Border Force but also the police.

For a lost passport you'll also need your photos counter signed which you don't have to have done for a normal renewal nor can you use some of the faster service streams.
#921420 by dickydotcom
16 May 2016, 11:56
I have been mulling this over and may renew the passports early just so I can apply for the ESTA early.
Just to clarify; If I renew 12 months before expiry will I still get 9 months added. i.e. only lose 3 months?

Dick D
#921421 by tontybear
16 May 2016, 12:06
Yes. The maximum they will add on is 9 months

Is there a reason why you want to apply for an ESTA early?

THere were some people who did renew passports early when the ESTA charge came in to avoid paying it (I was one of them but was renewing 6 months early anyway)

There is something to be said of applying for an ESTA as close to your trip as possible to give you the extra validity at the end.
#921422 by mitchja
16 May 2016, 12:09
dickydotcom wrote:Just to clarify; If I renew 12 months before expiry will I still get 9 months added. i.e. only lose 3 months?

Dick D

Correct, you can actually apply for a new passport any time you want, it's just that only upto 9 months will be added to the new one.
#921444 by Fuzzy14
16 May 2016, 20:11
tontybear wrote:Is there a reason why you want to apply for an ESTA early?

He's a dubious character and needs to make sure he doesn't need a visa ;-)

tontybear wrote:There is something to be said of applying for an ESTA as close to your trip as possible to give you the extra validity at the end.

I would normally agree unless it's your first ESTA, for first timers best to apply asap and indeed even before booking flights to USA just to make sure there are no problems needing a 6-9 month wait for a visa.
#921513 by dickydotcom
18 May 2016, 07:14
I just like to have all the boxes ticked well in advance.
We always travel to the States in Feb/March so applying in Sep this year will still give me two trips.

Dick D
Virgin Atlantic