For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#920327 by Bretty
22 Apr 2016, 07:06
Morning all, just taking a short hop over to Bremen to see some friends for the weekend.

We had intended to try the Aspire lounge with our Amex lounge passes, but sadly we were running a bit late. Although I had a 4:30 wake up call at the Radisson next door, I didn't drag my backside out my pit until 5:30, hence we're late and sadly mixing with the rabble! It's chaos.

Have a great weekend all :cool:
#920331 by buns
22 Apr 2016, 07:35
The words "Good" and "Stanstead" in the same sentence is a tough concept for me to assimilate :)
Have a splendid weekend

buns
#920333 by Blacky1
22 Apr 2016, 08:36
Safe travels John and have a good weekend , disappointed to hear the airport hasn't got any better , I have the pleasure of it in 3 weeks :-O
#920339 by hiljil
22 Apr 2016, 10:31
As I'm far too late to wish you a good outbound flight I'll get in early & say I hope you had a pleasant weekend & have a great flight back !! :-D
#920340 by Bretty
22 Apr 2016, 10:33
Thanks all, and worst of all flyingRyan Air or as our friends here call it, 'wooden class'!
@buns I know what you mean.
#920357 by pjh
22 Apr 2016, 17:24
Bretty wrote:Thanks all, and worst of all flyingRyan Air or as our friends here call it, 'wooden class'!

Stansted has three things going for it.

1. It isn't Luton
2. It isn't on the M25
3. It is an reliable 40 minute drive from our front door.
#920358 by Blacky1
22 Apr 2016, 18:04
pjh wrote:
Bretty wrote:Thanks all, and worst of all flyingRyan Air or as our friends here call it, 'wooden class'!

Stansted has three things going for it.

1. It isn't Luton
2. It isn't on the M25
3. It is an reliable 40 minute drive from our front door.

It used to be a cracking little airport ,I remember landing about 7.20 am one morning back from a lads holiday when I was about 17 and being in work just after 8 and the airport was like a ghost town
#920367 by Bretty
22 Apr 2016, 22:04
I don't know what the official picture is but I wouldn't be surprised if they need to expand again soon. It's like a cattle market, there's barely any space once your airside, at 6:30 this morning it was chaos, no seats, crowds of people standing around or sat on the floor, restaurants all crowded. I think the departure area is now too small to comfortably manage all the pax and it feels claustrophobic in there.
#920368 by Hev60
22 Apr 2016, 22:14

This post makes me remember the old days of Dan Air (often called Dan Dare!!)

We used to fly from the little sweet airport of Stanstead in those days to Tenerife & Spain and took our life into our hands with Dan Air!!! I remember the main road (just a two way street) often had to be closed as planes took off, as at the end runway there was just a wire parameter fence protecting the roadway.

How it has changed (not to the good it would appear) - However I still wished long laul flew from there though, as its just 25minutes up the M11 for us.
#920373 by Maximus
23 Apr 2016, 12:06
Bretty, I hope you are enjoying your weekend away in Bremen. Not a typical tourist destination and all I can recall about the city is the Thirty Years War from A-level history :-P But I am sure it has more to offer than Stanstead :-)
#920388 by Bretty
23 Apr 2016, 18:29
Maximus wrote:Bretty, I hope you are enjoying your weekend away in Bremen. Not a typical tourist destination and all I can recall about the city is the Thirty Years War from A-level history :-P But I am sure it has more to offer than Stanstead :-)

It certainly does, we have good friends here we've known for years and the chance to chill out and do nothing if we want. Today though, we've been to a Wolf center where they have a conservation and education project with wild and hand reared wolves. Similar to one I went to in the south of England.
#920411 by stagsfan
24 Apr 2016, 18:28
I was in Stansted on Sat from 5am to flight at 7.10am. Agree - way to busy. Big queue for security, naturally one of our bags got rejected. Long walk through duty free to lounge which I imagine would be quite nice if there was half the people there. Fought our way to the escape lounge which was OK.

Also on Ryanair but for us to Gran Canaria. Did see Air Force 1 on the Tarmac though as we taxied.
Virgin Atlantic