For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#920970 by pjh
09 May 2016, 12:00
As the day counter to our SA trip now seems to count down more rapidly I've been trying to firm up an agenda for our three days in Cape Town. I know, as someone said, that to plan early is to plan twice but I'm looking for very specific advice;

1. Is the Robben Island tour worth it? The Tripadvisor reviews vary widely on this...

2. We want to do a winelands tour, preferably as a private group. None of us want to be the designated driver for this. Can anyone recommend a company that we could use for such a tour?

If this has been discussed in any previous threads, please just point me at them. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific...

Thanks

Paul
#920983 by DragonLady
10 May 2016, 00:09
1. Robben Island ? I'm glad we did it but was a bit underwhelmed . I hate being herded and it all felt very rushed - you get very little time in the prison itself .Being stuck on a ( boiling) bus driven around the island was to my mind a bit of a waste of time.
The boat ride out can be a bit choppy :).

2. We used a small company called Cape Convoy for two tours . Rob (the owner) is very hands on and we had a great time on both ( including one to the winelands :) ).
He will do private tours and his feedback on Tripadvisor remains really high ( it's six years since we were there).

I'd suggest doing Table Mountain as early as possible as weather conditions can change very quickly and once the wind gets up the cablecar is not able to be used ( it took us a couple of attempts to get up there).
The red hop on, hop off bus is great for getting around the city and out to places like Camps Bay.

DL