For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#921201 by sungod
13 May 2016, 05:58
LGW seems pretty busy for so early, maybe as it's a friday

flying monarch today, so no CH for brekkie and bubbly, though i may indulge myself on the plane

no delays getting through security, the miserable selection of newspapers at the airside shops hasn't changed, i'm already missing my inyt, may have a last check before i head to the gate in case they get some

stocked up on tawny port, then had breakfast in the grain store - first time, it was ok, fast service, but quite noisy and a little cramped, not as comfy/relaxed as cafe rouge or f&b were

the new no.1 lounge is considerably larger than the old one, with windows along two sides giving good views and natural light, the food on offer is unchanged i think, there're a couple of automated coffee machines, the espresso is not helped by having only large mugs available

it's almost 0600, all the plump comfy-looking sofas are reserved but empty, the rest of the seating is about 75% occupied, perhaps it'll be less likely for people to be turned away than at the old lounge
#921211 by pjh
13 May 2016, 07:56
Have a good flight. If going on holiday, have a great time; if for work, hope it's tolerable. Always good to have a view on the lounges, I find it odd though that areas can be reserved...
#921213 by gumshoe
13 May 2016, 08:18
They reserve areas for people who've paid in advance. They're also notorious for turning away PP holders who haven't paid extra to guarantee entry, even if there's space.

At the end of the day they're a business and will prioritise people who give them cold hard cash!
#921215 by jfenney
13 May 2016, 08:33
Hope you have a nice trip at least your not flying Ryan air :-D
#921217 by buns
13 May 2016, 09:09
Enjoy the No1

As i found last week, there is a plethora of stag and hen parties to swell the numbers in the Terminal.

Your experience of capacity shows how sometimes Priority Pass can fail you at Gatwick

Have a good flight

buns
#921230 by pjh
13 May 2016, 11:58
gumshoe wrote:They reserve areas for people who've paid in advance.

Makes sense

gumshoe wrote:They're also notorious for turning away PP holders who haven't paid extra to guarantee entry, even if there's space.
At the end of the day they're a business and will prioritise people who give them cold hard cash!

I've read about that but not experienced it (yet). I can see the challenge for the operator in that they cannot know how many PP holders will turn up at a given date / time, but PP should really be putting pressure on the operator to change the model to perhaps permit a free prebooking capability.
#921241 by gumshoe
13 May 2016, 13:16
pjh wrote:PP should really be putting pressure on the operator to change the model to perhaps permit a free prebooking capability.

The fact that six of the seven US airlines that used to let PP holders into their lounges now don't suggests to me it's the lounge operators who call the shots, not PP.

I suspect - at LGW at least - PP need No.1 more than No.1 need PP. Were No.1 to stop admitting PP holders, they'd have nowhere to go at LGW South.
#921246 by ScoobySu
13 May 2016, 13:59
pjh wrote:They're also notorious for turning away PP holders who haven't paid extra to guarantee entry, even if there's space.

I've read about that but not experienced it (yet). I can see the challenge for the operator in that they cannot know how many PP holders will turn up at a given date / time, but PP should really be putting pressure on the operator to change the model to perhaps permit a free prebooking capability.[/quote]

I've experienced this twice with No 1 but at BHX - and I agree with pjh!
#921247 by ScoobySu
13 May 2016, 14:03
Back on topic - hope you have a great flight & holiday sungod!
#921270 by sungod
13 May 2016, 19:20
on the way to the gate i made one last try for my newspaper, it was on the trolley being delivered just as i went into the shop, phew!

arrived at ACE on time - monarch CC always seem cheerful - my bag and bike box were first off for a change too :-D

with PP, over many years i've only been denied access once, that was at the LHR T5 lounge last year - though i sat outside about ten minutes and then was invited in - lounge operators now seem to be much more focussed on the leisure market, presumably they make more out of pre-booked paying visitors than PP
Virgin Atlantic