For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#293 by minel
19 Feb 2004, 22:09
I am a very heavy user (and occasional repayer!) of the VS mastercard. I usually redeem for UC flights. I can't for the life of me see how I am going to use the Companion reward Voucher after the 15k spend due to the restricted classes it applies to. Paying for 2 * Z class would always seem to be cheaper than paying the higher fare class and getting the 'free' companion ticket. I could, of course, be missing something very obvious!

How about VS copying BA Amex offer and giving you a free companion reward to go with a reward flight - that would be nice.

Have to say, VS mastercard has been great and MBNA service knocks AMEX into a cocked hat..............
#25922 by Nottingham Nick
19 Feb 2004, 22:27
I worked out the maths a few weeks ago and found that for me the companion ticket was worth having.

2 return trips LHR - MIA in economy in May /June worked out saving me about £60 by using the free companion compared to booking two seats on the VS website.

The downside is that my companion (wife) doesn't earn any FC points.

I was assured that my full price ticket would earn points - unless anyone here knows different!

Nick
#25923 by minel
19 Feb 2004, 22:42
If looking at UC Nick, it looks like the huge differential in pricing between the UC fare codes might eliminate any benefit of the companion ticket - I'll let you do the maths though!
#25925 by RichardMannion
20 Feb 2004, 00:05
I raised the suggestion back in November about making it a little bit more flexible in regards to applicable booking classes. Watch this space :)

As it stands, it does have some value. I used my Gold renewal certificate for our upcoming family holiday to MCO/LAS - A L Class fare which with a free T Class companion came to about £650 which was slightly cheaper than buying 2 MpM fares. Difference is that I will earn 150% mileage as the L class revenue is in my name, and if my sibling decides to be a monkey, I can always use miles to upgrade to Premium Economy as L Class is a qualifying class for points upgrade.

Thanks,
Richard
#25948 by Nottingham Nick
20 Feb 2004, 23:21
Booked a trip to MIA today in May / June using the Credit Card companion.

Full price ticket £628.50
Companion £ 43.50

Total £672 or £336 each.
Lowest mileage earning fare on same planes - £493.30.

Result - I am well happy with the companion fare - sorry I can't comment about PE / UC fares using the companion voucher.

Nick
#25950 by josepg10
21 Feb 2004, 12:48
i have just found out that the Virgin card is not identical to the BA amex at all. In fact, it's a real pain in the ass. Where as with BA you use your miles to redeem a ticket and you use your companion voucher for the other seat, it's a joke with Virgin. The "benefits" of the companion voucher are negligible unless you are in economy. A full W or J is always going to be almost always more than getting 2 K class fares (or maybe 100 quid difference!) - After spending 15K on a card it seems a pretty rough deal. I can get airmiles from other cards but I opted for this one for a little bit more.

And the T and C's are totally unclear and hidden as well!
#25958 by Pete
21 Feb 2004, 14:43
I have to admit I've always been a bit critical of the companion tickets (by whatever method they are obtained), since the restrictions on the first paid-for seat seem to negate any savings (and mileage earning), especially in the premium cabins.

Mind you, I don't remember reading anywhere that the VS Mastercard was supposed to be identical to the BA Amex. Did I miss something? In fact, I thought that was the point of minel's original post; BA offered that free companion flight with a reward, but VS didn't.

Pix
#25964 by Nottingham Nick
21 Feb 2004, 18:28
Having defended the companion ticket for value in my own (economy) circumstances, I have to totally agree that the T&C are well hidden.
So well hidden in fact that I have never managed to see them. My 'voucher' appeared on my account on the internet and I have used it. I will wait to see if the paper version of my statement includes the T&C of the voucher.

Nick
#25974 by BlackCat
21 Feb 2004, 23:29
I've used the companion ticket (for Gold renewal) for LHR-JNB which is not too expensive in J (around 3K). Well, plenty of cash, but rather less than the US routes where LHR-LAX/SFO are north of £6K! The miles and tier points are the main benefit, plus the fact that VS seem happy to release seats for this benefit to Gold FC members.

BC
#28605 by josepg10
07 Apr 2004, 15:26
Nick - couldn't agree with you more. It's a total mystery when it comes to Ts and Cs on the virgin card. And, I fear, after willfully spending 15K to get my voucher I won't actually ever be able to use it for an UC flight because I'll always be better looking for a K class or Z class fare for me and the wife.

Could someone kindly confirm for me the fare codes that can be used in PE and UC with Companion tickets?

thanks

great site
#30515 by BlackCat
28 Apr 2004, 18:53
W & S for PE, J for UC.

BC
Virgin Atlantic