For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#921876 by Karen w
25 May 2016, 23:11
Hi, my parents are currently in Florida making use of the 3 feel at home sim deal. I was a bit dubious as it sounded a bit too good to be true. I stand corrected, it's great! No problems connecting and able to call them from my virgin mobile using inclusive minutes. Highly recommended. Definitely doing this for our road trip in August.
#921877 by ScoobySu
25 May 2016, 23:18
We used it last year & this year - but had a bit of an issue getting the SIMs reactivated as we hadn't used them for a year. Coverage in California has been a bit patchy (as to be expected with some of the places we've been!) but for what we wanted they were fine - must just remember to use them every 30 days so they don't get de-activated again!
#921878 by Fuzzy14
26 May 2016, 00:27
Yes I'm a Three customer and use it in America (and elsewhere). Last year got a text to say if saved over £3000, not bad for £14 a month. Only difference this year is they've capped me at 12GB per month was previously unlimited. One downside, the Netherlands surprisingly isn't a feel at home country and I accidentally racked up a bill in Schiphol airport (where annoyingly there was free wifi but I couldn't be bothered logging onto it).

If you're in the Disney area my phone defaults onto T-Mobile but you get far better coverage and faster data forcing it onto AT&T.
#921883 by gumshoe
26 May 2016, 04:38
Yes, Feel at Home is great - just a shame it's not available in more countries. In the US it does tend to default to T-Mobile if it can, yet AT&T is usually more robust & reliable.

But even in EU countries where Feel at Home's not available they sell a Euro Internet Pass for £5 a day if you're on Pay Monthly, which avoids horrendous roaming charges.
#921895 by SlimpyJones
26 May 2016, 10:46
Another Three customer here. As the vast majority of my travel is to the US it is an absolute godsend! As per Fuzzy, I was also surprised that the Netherlands wasn't included. The UAE isn't included either. But that being said, sometimes it's nice to get away from the phone!
#921897 by dickydotcom
26 May 2016, 11:12
I have a 'feel on holiday' mobile setup.
I get on the plane and turn it off.
I come back through customs after the holiday and turn it on again to ring the taxi driver.

My holiday apartment doesn't have a phone. Although I have been know to photoshop pictures of the apartment to remove something that looks a lot like a phone just in case MIL spots it.

A month away from it all.

Dick D
#922013 by Smid
29 May 2016, 10:42
It can be very variable. It was fine in Vegas the times I had it before. Think Hawaii was good too.

However, when I did west coast San Diego to Vancouver, stopping at Santa Barbara, SF, Portland and Seattle over two weeks, I got massive outages in services. Some cities I got 0 megabytes for like 4 days. So it's not perfect, and I did end up relying on Wifi. Seattle was the same.... Thinking about it, SF was about the only place I got data.
#922020 by mitchja
29 May 2016, 12:32
I think it's all down to local network congestion. When I was in Chicago the other week, my T-Mobile US dongle wouldn't work and after connecting them they told me that particular area was very heavily congested (even on 4G/LTE).

US mobile networks don't tend to have the same available spectrum we are now accustomed to in the UK, as they are covering much much bigger areas so what spectrum they do have has to be more thinly spread across their network.

My iPhone AT&T SIM LTE network speeds were not much better and where barely reaching double figures during the day. More like the 3G speeds we where used to a couple of years ago!

When roaming, your network priority will be at the very bottom on the pile as well.
Virgin Atlantic