For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#922351 by Sealink
04 Jun 2016, 01:04
PART ONE

A spring trip to visit the family quickly became something bigger and better, thanks to the perfect alignment of flights, ferries, trains and a [sssssh!] Flyer Talk meet.

A time when ten days off felt like a month. Where I travelled on three flights, two trains, two ferries and sampled a new airline into the bargain.

Strap in – I will try and make this as informative and readable as I can!

I go up to Scotland every year and have done for the last decade. It’s a bit of a tradition now.

This time, after having such a fun time on the Caledonian Sleeper before You can read it here! I really wanted to try it again.

The entrance to the Virgin First Class lounge was still a mess: they are building a mezzanine floor at the station; which is almost complete.

From my experience last time knew it was a waste of time to try and be there anything more than an hour before the train departed – it’s just too busy.

Still, Euston Station is busy too.

The lounge has a … distinctive… style, as you can see.

But as regards refreshments – thin pickings.
Some teas and coffees, mini cans of Pepsi and Lemonade and some nuts, and that was about it. But I didn’t care! I was going on the Sleeper!

Before heading down to the platform (1); I paused to look at the best departure screen ever: one train going to Fort William, Aberdeen AND Inverness. And intermediate stations.

I headed down to Platform 1, and snapped a few other trains in the station at the time.

I have to say, Platforms 1 and 2 do look a tad bleak…

The trains are still old – new ones are coming in 2018

On the platform, you find your assigned carriage (on the ticket) and there, a steward checks you in. There were a few people in front of me but it didn’t take too long.

As I had added an evening meal to my booking (+£10) the very friendly steward mentioned that my table had been reserved and I could go to the lounge whenever I was ready. Because this train was busier, you share a table with another traveller, which works really well. Because on the sleeper train, everyone is ready to talk!

The cabin was prepared.
You can opt for standard class, which means the possibility of sharing with someone of the same sex. That’s not for me, so paid a little extra for First Class, which gives you single occupancy and yay! Free breakfast! And access to the lounge car.

The cain was prepared:

The amenity kit includes a face cloth, eye mask, socks, ear plugs, soap, body lotion, sleep spray and guide to a better sleep.

Lots of hanging space

It has to be said that the carriages are showing their age.

It was off to the restaurant car.

Wine Time!

With haggis, neeps and tatties and red onion marmalade.

Then the cheese board

Then a G&T or three.

Oops!

The person I shared my table with was really very interesting and the conversation flowed freely.

However I suddenly found that I was the last person standing. Time for a pic of the lounge car.

I went back to the cabin, and surprisingly, feel asleep quite quickly.
The carriage change at Edinburgh wasn’t as jarring as I found previously and I woke to this view:

Breakfast time.

This also comes with fresh* orange juice. * from concentrate

The further north we travelled the snowier it looked.

And now a dilemma.

I was booked on the 1710hrs flight from Inverness to Kirkwall. But here I was in Inverness, at 8.38hrs, with a 1010hrs flight to Kirkwall – with seats available...

BOOKING INFO

I paid £155 for exclusive use of a cabin - "First Class" and £10 for dinner in the dining car, where a space is reserved for you.

I booked the sleeper directly at www.sleeper.scot - anecdotal evidence is that this is the best place to book - while you can book at UK railway stations, the trainline etc. - you may not be contacted if there is any known disruption, such as the closure of the West Coast line in February... only www.sleeper.scot retains your contact details.
Last edited by Sealink on 06 Jun 2016, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
#922353 by marshy11
04 Jun 2016, 06:23
I have to hold on to my wallet when I read your TR's.
#922362 by pjh
04 Jun 2016, 09:24
Great TR with lovely pictures. Looking forward to the next instalments.

I love those trips away when time changes and a few days can feel like much longer. I think it's how much you cram in to the time without incurring stress.

Did the guide to better sleep include the optimum g&t and wine mix?
Last edited by pjh on 04 Jun 2016, 09:32, edited 2 times in total.
#922363 by hiljil
04 Jun 2016, 09:25
Thank you for such an informative TR with super photos. I really enjoyed reading it.
#922386 by Sealink
04 Jun 2016, 13:20
Vegascrazy wrote:Fabulous report Billy! I wonder what the new carriages will be like, are there any promotional pics?

Not yet but I think it will be more like airline lie flat beds in one section and suites in the rest of the train.
#922445 by Sealink
05 Jun 2016, 22:49
PART TWO

Taxi hailed, and I was enroute to Inverness Airport, with no idea whether I was going to be heading straight into the city…

I had booked a FlyBe flight using BA Avios, on the BA App, so was hoping there would be some flexibility.

There is work taking place around the airport and a new train station will be built to serve it. In the best traditions of anti-joined up thinking, a bus will be needed to get passengers and their luggage to the airport, as there is a runway between the station and the terminal building.

Inverness Airport has this lovely sense of calm; especially after the easyJet flights have left. They can certainly pack those flights!

The airport was especially quiet when I arrived, and I approached the Flybe/Loganair desk to discuss amending my flight. Certainly we can change you on to the earlier flight, for £37.50. To give me eight more hours in Orkney? A bargain!

I happily paid, and was given something I have not seen in YEARS…

Armed with my new boarding pass, I headed to security.

Security at Inverness was fast, and friendly, as I have found at all HIAL airports.

Through to a deserted departure lounge, and I thought I would pop in to the Aspire lounge, scene of one of my more ”tired and emotional trips.”

Adverts for KLM and BA were much in evidence.

The Aspire lounge.

It’s had a makeover!

Obligatory bacon butty (or two)

I read the HIAL magazine. Which had a pretty obvious spelling mistake!

My little ‘plane arrived.

I headed out to board, and it was strange to see the airport so deserted.

There were 9 passengers on the flight.

Glimpsed another Saab in full Loganair colours – this is for the Royal Mail contract, so no windows.

Inside…

An on-time departure…

The weather was lovely, and the flight would take us over Cromarty, then Sutherland and Caithness. I will just post some pictures as the scenary was lovely.

The famous Loganair inflight service.

With profits of £6m last year, I wish they’d bring booze back. Although on a 1010hrs flight maybe too early…

Back to the scenery

Coming in to land…

Kirkwall Airport, with the Loganair Islander aircraft – used for Orkney inter-island services.

A lovely morning in Kirkwall

The only checked in luggage was being unloaded. (Mine!)

I headed out to met the dramatic sounding JET bus service to the town centre.
This was the bus:

I was the only passenger, and the driver was very chatty, in fact, all the way into Kirkwall we chatted. I had forgotten that this happens outside London!

Kirkwall was looking stunning in the spring sun.

It’s such a delightful place to visit.

I ended up spending a lot of time walking around the town (from coffee shop to coffee shop!) and then headed to The Reel - a local bar/café owned by the Wrigley Sisters, an international folk music duo.

Stayed for a couple of beers, enjoyed the lovely music, and headed to my accommodation (family) for the night.

Still to come: ferries, more ferries, flights, trains and more flights. And trams.

BOOKING INFO
Flybe now offers Avios - earning and spending. Therefore I was able to book this FlyBe flight on the British Airways app, or 3,600 AVIOS and £27.49. The normal fare was £94.00. Even with the supplement for changing, I was quids in!
Last edited by Sealink on 06 Jun 2016, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.
#922449 by David1946
06 Jun 2016, 02:01
Thanks Sealink great second part. The pictures were great as well. Maybe a place to visit in the future. Looking forward to the next instalment.
#922451 by buns
06 Jun 2016, 05:18
Sealink

You are fast becoming the Michael Pallin of V flyer with your illuminated sketches of your unusual travel destinations!

I have to admit, see some of the photos of the sleeper service from Euston reminds me of the time I did the journey back in 1985 - some things seemed not to have changed a bit :D

Thanks for brightening up my morning

buns
#922462 by jfenney
06 Jun 2016, 12:20
Billy your a legend , loved the TR to date and great to see a bit of the U.K. That we rarely see :-D
#922487 by Sealink
06 Jun 2016, 22:17
PART THREE

The Voyage continues.

I remembered that Northlink offers a B&B option for the early sailings from Stromness to Scrabster. That meant I could spend a little more time in Orkney. In turn, that meant that I had time for a mini trip to Westray.

Unfortunately, the flight was full (every time I have travelled to Orkney, I have tried to get on the Westray – Papa Westray flight in order to become a record breaker – it’s the shortest scheduled flight in the world) – so I booked a round trip on Orkney Ferries.

It was a lovely day in Kirkwall, again.

My carriage awaits…

Kirkwall Harbour

Orkney Ferries run ferries to lots of islands – Westray is one of the furthest out , and it’s a scenic trip through the archipelago.

Boarding was via the car deck…

Had an explore of the ship:

The main lounge – this was full on the outward journey, and more or less empty on the return.

The scenery

A little glimpse of Westray

Leaving Westray

The World War Two buildings on Shapinsay.

Half way back to Kirkwall

Rather than take the afternoon Northlink ferry from Stromness to Scrabster, I decided to take advantage of their “B&B” offer – if you book a morning crossing from Stromness you can stay on board overnight.

I had about an hour to kill in Kirkwall, so I took a few more pics…

Jumped on the bus to Stromness, a lovely little town where the ‘big’ boat leaves from.

My home for the night…

Boarding commenced at 9.30pm

There were only a few passengers staying overnight… so a chance to have a walk around a deserted ship.

A nice little touch was the use of braille on the signage.

And this….

When booking a cabin, access to the on board ‘executive lounge’ is included in the evening, which offered soft drinks, tea, coffee, sandwiches and snacks.

The cabin was basic, but I have to say, offered a very comfortable sleep.

Early next morning, I awoke to this scene…

After breakfast I went out to the deck to take a last look at Stromness and Orkney.

Viewers may recognize this former Caledonian MacBrayne ferry…

The island of Hoy

Arriving in Stromness on time, next to Fred Olsen’s Boadicca

Next up – some time in Caithness, then my first flight ever with little Eastern Airways, a train to Edinburgh, a FlyerTalk meet and … returning to London on RA-RA-RAAAAR RYANAIR!!!

BOOKING INFO
Orkney Ferries - I walked into their booking office at Kirkwall, and was directed to purchase on board. The return fare was £16.70 and debit/credit cards accepted. There is a small cafe on board where hot drinks, sandwiches, biscuits soft drinks and some alcohol is on sale.

Northlink Ferries - I went to their office in Kirkwall and booked the Outer 2-berth cabin, £46.00 which included an 'all you can eat' breakfast. It was amazing! Tickets are collected at Stromness. This is on top of the £18.00 fare for the journey.
#922489 by honey lamb
06 Jun 2016, 22:49
These trip reports are amazing! You have a gift for sussing out the unusual and unexpected when it comes to itineraries and, as I know well from when you visited my humble abode, a willingness to go with the flow and take whatever opportunity presents itself to you.
#922492 by David
07 Jun 2016, 01:48
Love the sign on the juice dispenser. Lol. They're no gonna be happy wi nae Bru :-D

Oh and great tr - pity you couldn't have squeezed a wee trip on our new Borders Railway, it's going great guns :D

David
#922498 by pjh
07 Jun 2016, 10:46
This is putting the romance and adventure back into travel.

I loved the contrast on the sign for the broken dispenser - "sorry for any inconvenience".
#922663 by Sealink
11 Jun 2016, 18:56
Part Four

An unapologetically ‘touristy’ start to this blog.

Caithness, in the far north of Scotland, is a lovely place, but often overlooked by other places like Dornoch, Inverness and Orkney.

Admittedly, some parts of Caithness are difficult to love – lots of it is flat, it doesn’t have the majesty of the mountainous West Coast, and in the winter it can be unremittingly bleak. But the skies are amazing (no mountains to block the view); the Northern Lights can be seen and I have always found the people to be lovely.

So here’s some highlights of Caithness (and I cheated, some of Sutherland too). There’s also a flight report at the end!

Every year this bank is covered with daffodils, and in the sun, it looks stunning.

Market Square, Wick.
Wetherspoon’s took this empty, decaying building (the old Post Office) and turned it into an all day dining er, pub.

Bridge Street, Wick

Danish Consulate. Wick had very close links to Denmark for years – Wick is Norse for Bay.

Dunbeath, Caithness

Tongue

Helmsdale, Sutherland

Haster, by Wick

Outside Wick

Big sky country…

John O’ Groats

At the end of my visit home, it was off to the airport for my first ever flight with Eastern Airways.

Wick Airport is really lovely.
Loganair, for Flybe flies six times a week to Edinburgh, while Eastern flies up to three times daily to Aberdeen. There can be some pretty decent fares on the Edinburgh flight, from around £59, while Eastern start at £93 which is pretty hefty if contemplating a return trip.

The time saving is impressive though compared to road or rail, for both routes.

At check-in, I was handed my boarding pass (I would then hand half of it back before boarding the plane, which was one of those odd little rituals I thought had gone!)

There’s a little café!

Helicopters arrive and depart fairly regularly.

And then my plane arrived.

The lady who checked my in then came over to the waiting passengers – I think there were 11 of us – and announced “Eastern Airways flight 568 to Aberdeen will shortly be ready for boarding. Would all passengers please proceed to security. And I can see some of you have just ordered drinks – don’t worry, you’ve still got time to finish them!”

As you’d expect, security was fast, and friendly.

The gate was like a greenhouse being mainly glass under the hot May sun. (Remember sun?).

For a moment I felt like I was boarding a private jet…

In flight magazines.

I love the matter of fact name “Eastern Airways Inflight Magazine”.

Now note that there are no overhead lockers… so all overhead luggage is placed in the “Valet Baggage” stand, put in the hold, and I’m pleased to say it was waiting for at Aberdeen.

Legroom was good

Take off was on time, affording a lovely view of Wick….

Amazing inflight service for such a short flight…

Those crisps were a proper sized bag too!
There were sweets and ear plugs handed out!

Man, these Jetstreams are loud. I could barely hear the safety announcement, which was spoken- with no audio equipment used.

I’d love to meet the genius who came up with this tray design.

Seriously! Isn’t that genius?!

The great thing about little planes is that you still get the detail of the land below.

Approaching Aberdeen

A gorgeous evening in Aberdeen

Anyone else getting sick of this use of English?

Anyway, I digress.
It was a surprisingly long walk from the plane to arrivals, my suitcase was off quickly, and I made the short walk to the Crowne Plaza., my room for the night.

My room with a view…

I feel like I should love this hotel, but I found it soul-less.

BOOKING INFO
I checked availability on the Eastern Airways website for flights, but baulked at their £8/£12 debit/credit card fee.

So booked on the Opodo app, which still had a fee, but there was some sort of app ofer which cancelled out the fee, overall the flight price via Opodo was £91.24

I booked the Crowne Plaza via hotels.com which I hate doing, but all those stays add up. Hotels in Aberdeen are having a time of it just now, so the hotel was under £50. Urgh. I hated typing that sentence.

Next Up – the East Coast train from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, a "ssssh don’t talk about them" Flyer Talk meet ;-) and would I have a Ryanscare???
#922664 by whiterose
11 Jun 2016, 19:48
What a fabulous TR, I am really enjoying reading each section. Amazing photos. I have never been as far north and it's so interesting to see it all and to have all your information about the places and how you booked. Next episode Ryanair? Look away those of a nervous disposition? ;-)
#922684 by iforres1
12 Jun 2016, 10:25
What an epic journey and an absolute stellar read, with excellent photos to boot. Making me feel homesick just looking at the photos. Goodness how you miss grey skies when you live in the desert.

Iain
#922688 by jfenney
12 Jun 2016, 11:02
Thanks again for an amazing views from your photographs of what's up north that we rarely see I see we have found our very own Mr Wicker :-D
#922731 by pjh
13 Jun 2016, 11:50
Wonderful pictures. The cloudscapes are quite something.
#923028 by Sealink
22 Jun 2016, 12:22
An early start the next day.

Having taken advantage of a special offer on the “Virgin Red” app I had opted for a Virgin ticket from Dyce to Edinburgh.

Annoyingly, getting from Aberdeen Airport to Dyce Station required a taxi as there are no buses on a Saturday. Annoyingly Part 2, there were roadworks which required a very convoluted route to the station, and £16 taxi fare. I was fuming! You can almost see the station from the airport!

Anyway, £16 lighter and a 20 minute wait for the ScotRail service to Aberdeen.

Dyce Station is very basic.

I spotted a bmi regional plane from the footbridge.

£16 that taxi cost!!!

The first train was operated by Abellio ScotRail, with a very bright colour scheme, celebrating the launch of the Borders Railway.

The First Class section

The journey to Aberdeen was about 10 minutes.

I could have stayed on this train all the way to Edinburgh, for a fare of around £65.00 – Abellio seem to have withdrawn all advance First class fares.

Aberdeen Station

But I was happy to change to the Virgin Train anyway.

I was right at the front of the train

And this did make me think about the cost of all these franchise changes.
In Scotland, the franchise is always called ScotRail, no matter who the operator is. Saves a lot of money!

My seat.

Much nicer than ScotRails effort.

And of course there’s free refreshments on Virgin.

The scenery from Aberdeen to Edinburgh is amazing

The Tay Bridge – with the stumps of the old bridge visible.

The Forth Bridge

And then, Edinburgh. What a handsome city.

I headed up to the hotel – I’m sure word got out that there was a FlyerTalk meet taking place and hotels were super expensive. But I got a deal at the Best Western Bruntsfield Hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the location and the hotel itself.

I was a little early for the meet, drinks were to be in Wetherspoons first, so a pic of the some of the surrrouding streets.

The FlyerTalk meet was superb. If you have not been to one I recommend you go. A reminder that there hasn't been a V-Flyer meet in some time...!

booking Info
The train from Dyce to Edinburgh was booked via the Virgin Red app, who were offering a 25% discount.

The Bruntsfield Hotel was via hotels.com, who were £100 cheaper than the hotels website.

Next up: my first Ryanair flight using ‘BusinessPlus’ and my mini tour ends.
Last edited by Sealink on 22 Jun 2016, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Virgin Atlantic