For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#922741 by Daniel Armstrong
13 Jun 2016, 18:59
With work I now have a lot more flights than I used to - however, just as these start back up Little Red is not longer around, how very disappointing... The only real option is Ryan Air (I wont do any trip reports on here, don't worry!) and I have selected these for my work trip to Edinburgh...

I live pretty close to STN so will literally drive straight there and onto the flight, especially giving the time I am flying and the ease of this.

However, at EDI I could have as much as 4 hours to spend wandering the halls... Does anyone have any experience of the lounges (I wont be drinking, this is no holiday and the Champagne cant taste as sweet as it does in the Clubhouse!)... If you have any recommendations that would as always be greatly appreciated...

Dan
#922742 by pjh
13 Jun 2016, 19:06
I managed to try both the Aspire and No1 offerings before the Edinburgh based project went the way of all things. I preferred the Aspire; if felt cosier than the No1 which is basically one big room.

Why Ryanair rather than Easyjet?
#922744 by Daniel Armstrong
13 Jun 2016, 19:11
pjh wrote:I managed to try both the Aspire and No1 offerings before the Edinburgh based project went the way of all things. I preferred the Aspire; if felt cosier than the No1 which is basically one big room.

Why Ryanair rather than Easyjet?

Thanks PHJ...! When you say the project, was that Little Red or a work project?

I looked at Easyjet, but the times didn't suit me as well as Ryan Air - however, given the option it would be Easyjet every time. I will also start looking at BA as well, but again this was a bit last min and the flights suited... Unless I can go Via JFK with VS, but not sure if work will be quite that kind...
#922745 by Daniel Armstrong
13 Jun 2016, 19:13
gumshoe wrote:Yes, Aspire or No.1 are your only options. They're both decent enough but certainly no Clubhouse! I lean towards No.1 as it has, IMHO, a better bar and food offer but I can see why others prefer Aspire for its ambiance.

Thanks Gumshoe - so its a 50/50 then..!

Being a novice at this, when I pay to get in (as I doubt there is any other way!) is the food free, or pay per dish?
#922746 by gumshoe
13 Jun 2016, 19:24
You can use Priority Pass or similar, if you have one. Otherwise yes, you'll have to pay - although Virgin have a deal with No.1 so if you prebook online you'll get a discount and bonus miles.

No.1 offer one (very small) hot dish off the menu for free, then charge for any more although if you march confidently up to the counter and order for two, you may well get away with it! There's also a buffet with soup, snacks and cakes. Drinks are free except champagne.

Aspire don't charge for food but it's limited to self serve sandwiches, soup, snacks & cakes etc.
#922748 by pjh
13 Jun 2016, 19:52
Daniel Armstrong wrote:
Thanks PHJ...! When you say the project, was that Little Red or a work project?

I looked at Easyjet, but the times didn't suit me as well as Ryan Air - however, given the option it would be Easyjet every time. I will also start looking at BA as well, but again this was a bit last min and the flights suited... Unless I can go Via JFK with VS, but not sure if work will be quite that kind...

It was the last knockings of a work project and I was determined to use my Priority Pass card. When I'd been flying up there regularly - EasyJet as Ryanair didn't do the route at the time- I had no such card and used to look on with envy at my colleagues piling into the BA lounge (where the No1 is now).
#922760 by dickydotcom
14 Jun 2016, 07:22
I have used the No1 a couple of times in the days of Little Red and mum living in Dundee.
On one occasion I arrived early and they didn't want to let me in. Time in the lounge is limited to three hours.
Whether I just had a jobsworth on the desk at the time or if they are sticklers for timing rules I don't know.
One big room, but a choice of different types of seating from dinning tables to lounge chairs.

Dick D
#922761 by Daniel Armstrong
14 Jun 2016, 08:22
Thanks All - I shall get to Edinburgh and then look at booking. If I can get VS points that might win the day...! As long as either has a nice view of the runway that's the main thing. Really appreciate the feedback...

Dan

PHJ - your colleagues could have got you into the BA lounge surely..? If not, the swines for leaving you there! That wouldn't happen in the Clubhouse with fellow V-Flyers!
#922774 by David
14 Jun 2016, 11:12
Fuzzy14 wrote:Rather then killing 4 hours at Edinburgh Airport, I'd jump on the tram or bus and go into the city centre, as a Glaswegian I'm at pains to say this but it's one of the greatest tourist cities in the world, go and explore.

Not the tram, takes 45 mins to get from EDI to Princes Street :-O

David
#922775 by pjh
14 Jun 2016, 11:16
David wrote:
Fuzzy14 wrote:Rather then killing 4 hours at Edinburgh Airport, I'd jump on the tram or bus and go into the city centre, as a Glaswegian I'm at pains to say this but it's one of the greatest tourist cities in the world, go and explore.

Not the tram, takes 45 mins to get from EDI to Princes Street :-O

David

Yep, the Airlink 100 bus is a better bet from a time point of view. Assuming no road works a 20 minute ride.
#922840 by Fuzzy14
15 Jun 2016, 10:39
pjh wrote:
David wrote:Not the tram, takes 45 mins to get from EDI to Princes Street :-O

David

Yep, the Airlink 100 bus is a better bet from a time point of view. Assuming no road works a 20 minute ride.

The bus is cheaper too! It's just people seem to be more comfortable with fixed rail, in a strange place I'd normally favour rail over bus.
#922895 by Daniel Armstrong
17 Jun 2016, 07:37
Thanks all..! Appreciate the help...

I plumped for the Aspire, which was very nice too - especially with the England Wales game on too and the 'raucous' atmosphere it was creating with some fellow PAX. Food was ok with one hot offering but lots of nibbles and a pretty decent selection of drinks (unfortunately no bubbles for free, or indeed drinks as I was driving at the other end).

This is the first time I have ever got a lounge on a domestic, I will again for sure...

With regards to exploring - I had done this with colleagues the two previous nights taking them out and about and was a little worse for wear by the 3rd night so the lounge worked just fine! But I would agree, a brilliant city with some of the nicest people I have ever met. I work out of Hermiston Gate (Edinburgh Park) so we take the train. The tram is great from the airport, but the train takes about 5 mins to Waverley and is £3.00...

Dan
#922896 by pjh
17 Jun 2016, 09:55
Daniel Armstrong wrote:With regards to exploring - I had done this with colleagues the two previous nights taking them out and about and was a little worse for wear by the 3rd night so the lounge worked just fine! But I would agree, a brilliant city with some of the nicest people I have ever met. I work out of Hermiston Gate (Edinburgh Park) so we take the train. The tram is great from the airport, but the train takes about 5 mins to Waverley and is £3.00...

I'm very envious. I spent a couple of years working up there during the week and loved it. We still try to go back for the Fringe for a mad few days and nights, but since the staff changed at the hotel I used to stay at the mates' rates have gone :-(
#922899 by Daniel Armstrong
17 Jun 2016, 13:40
pjh wrote:I'm very envious. I spent a couple of years working up there during the week and loved it. We still try to go back for the Fringe for a mad few days and nights, but since the staff changed at the hotel I used to stay at the mates' rates have gone :-(

I can imagine that would help during the Fringe..! Its impossible to even get a hotel...

I would however recommend the Novotel in Hermiston Gate (Edinburgh Park). Really nice example of what they can do when they get it right - best one I have stayed at to be fair. Staff are great and the facilities are decent. As for getting about its perfect for the airport (and gets a lot of the PAX from cancelled flights) only 10 mins away on the tram. From there you can stay on the tram or get the train into the center of Edinburgh which is a 5 min journey at only £3.00 return! I got this weeks room for £100 with Breakfast, however in the past it has been as low as £35 per night with breakfast.
#922900 by pjh
17 Jun 2016, 14:16
Daniel Armstrong wrote:I would however recommend the Novotel in Hermiston Gate (Edinburgh Park). Really nice example of what they can do when they get it right - best one I have stayed at to be fair. Staff are great and the facilities are decent. As for getting about its perfect for the airport (and gets a lot of the PAX from cancelled flights) only 10 mins away on the tram. From there you can stay on the tram or get the train into the center of Edinburgh which is a 5 min journey at only £3.00 return! I got this weeks room for £100 with Breakfast, however in the past it has been as low as £35 per night with breakfast.

We used to stay at the Caledonian. When we started the project back in 2007 an enterprising project manager approached them and asked them for a discounted rate for us. This he got and then the rate was written into our company's overall agreement with the Hilton chain. Even after the upgrade and transition to a Waldorf Astoria the rate remained a bargain. One of our Fringe Trips - 2012 or 13, not sure which - we had a two room suite.
Virgin Atlantic