For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#924375 by pjh
31 Jul 2016, 18:46
After a rather hairy drive the family PJH now four of ten in the lounge. Surprise successfully sprung on offspring about which class we're flying, so #1 son taking pictures of anything with the word "business class" on it. Flight to DXB in three hours, and then to Durban.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 5170 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
#924376 by hiljil
31 Jul 2016, 18:57
How lovely !

Have a great flight and time in Durban.
#924377 by honey lamb
31 Jul 2016, 20:06
The pics are upside down on my laptop! Or else you've drank yourself under the table in the space of time you've been in the lounge!!

Have a great time in Durbs! Hope the damage from the torrential rain last week has been remedied otherwise expect potholes on the roads and loads of sugar cane on the beaches.
#924382 by ScoobySu
31 Jul 2016, 22:24
Well done on keeping the surprise until now! Hope the lounge helps you recover from the drive and you have a great flight and super holiday

PS Photos are fine on the iPad but upside down on the laptop
#924384 by honey lamb
31 Jul 2016, 23:14
ScoobySu wrote:PS Photos are fine on the iPad but upside down on the laptop

So they are! Or else pjh has taken two sets of photos; one lot when he was upright and the other when he was under the table! :twisted:

gumshoe wrote:Emirates like their fifty shades of beige don't they!

They do indeed! Beige cabin, beige seats, beige lounges, beige uniforms - everything beige!

Mind you Singapore Airlines are not much better (apart from the crew uniforms). I remember getting on an SQ flight in a beige J cabin, rapidly followed by two Australian girls who kept on saying it was beige and repeating it so often that I thought I was in an echo chamber! :lol:
#924385 by honey lamb
31 Jul 2016, 23:43
Actually, I'm curious to know why you are flying from LGW and not LHR given that you live in East Anglia or thereabouts?

Does LGW also use A380s or are you on a 777?

Regardless of that flight, my experience of the DXB-DUR leg is that it is busy, long and boring (and on my last flight the plane was a tad shabby but I was in Y for that flight). The upside of both my flights on that leg have been that I have been able to drink my way down the length of Africa.

Have a terrific stay and if you are anywhere near Amanzimtoti and Illovo Beach give my brother a wave and if you happen to pass Assagay, wave to my niece.
#924391 by pjh
01 Aug 2016, 05:58
honey lamb wrote:Actually, I'm curious to know why you are flying from LGW and not LHR given that you live in East Anglia or thereabouts?

Does LGW also use A380s or are you on a 777?

As Gumshoe says, LGW is now A380 territory. As to why LGW, strictly a price based decision made by the TA.

honey lamb wrote:
Regardless of that flight, my experience of the DXB-DUR leg is that it is busy, long and boring (and on my last flight the plane was a tad shabby but I was in Y for that flight). The upside of both my flights on that leg have been that I have been able to drink my way down the length of Africa.

Hopefully will be able to catch up on the films on this leg. Didn't quite overdo the champagne at the bar, but I only managed a small part of one film before being woken by the announcement we were descending in DXB.

honey lamb wrote:
Have a terrific stay and if you are anywhere near Amanzimtoti and Illovo Beach give my brother a wave and if you happen to pass Assagay, wave to my niece.

Staying out at Umhlanga, then up to Isandlwana, then Phinda and finally Cape Town.
#924393 by honey lamb
01 Aug 2016, 09:33
pjh wrote:Staying out at Umhlanga, then up to Isandlwana, then Phinda and finally Cape Town.

Oooh, are you going to the game reserve in Phinda? My niece raves about it
#924620 by pjh
07 Aug 2016, 11:06
honey lamb wrote:
pjh wrote:Staying out at Umhlanga, then up to Isandlwana, then Phinda and finally Cape Town.

We are currently at Phinda. At the moment I'm dozing on the verandah of our lodge, getting ready for this afternoons's game drive. Very civilised - on the afternoon drive everything stops for a sundowner at about 5.30.
#924638 by honey lamb
07 Aug 2016, 13:52
pjh wrote:
honey lamb wrote:

We are currently at Phinda. At the moment I'm dozing on the verandah of our lodge, getting ready for this afternoons's game drive. Very civilised - on the afternoon drive everything stops for a sundowner at about 5.30.

Enjoy the game drives. I love them - especially the sundowners! When I was in Nambiti last year, one group that had stopped for sundowners and were on one side of their vehicle when there was a lion kill on the other side just a few yards away from where they were swigging their G&Ts!! :-O
#924671 by pjh
08 Aug 2016, 11:09
honey lamb wrote:
pjh wrote:

Enjoy the game drives. I love them - especially the sundowners! When I was in Nambiti last year, one group that had stopped for sundowners and were on one side of their vehicle when there was a lion kill on the other side just a few yards away from where they were swigging their G&Ts!! :-O

Drive number 5 in a few hours. Yesterday's Sundowner was quite special. I'd made some quip the previous afternoon along the lines of "No Pimms then?" and so when we arrived at our stop it was festooned with lamps and prepared fruit cups - each with a little tag saying "Drink me".

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (323.45 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Virgin Atlantic