For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#924405 by Bretty
01 Aug 2016, 17:46
Hello folks, I'm appealing to those of you who favour Hilton and have status etc.
We're planning a wee trip to the Big Smoke to see a show (Naked Magicians for those who want to know, you can guess why it appeals I'm sure :cool: ).

I normally book us into The Cavendish, but have recently been granted Hilton Diamond so thought we'd try one of the Hiltons out. But which one??? So, what's your current favourite to help give me some idea which to go for...
Paddington, Metrolpole, Park Lane, Bankside, Tower Bridge, Conrad St James etc... The Waldorf looks a bit tired out.

Anyway, all suggestions welcome. Location in terms of where our theatre is located isn't important.

Ta muchly :-)
#924420 by gfonk
01 Aug 2016, 21:48
+1 for the conrad st james.
we stayed there last year when we went to see GaGa and tony bennett.
room was small but very nice. in room breakfast was nice too and the service was good. reception helped us out with cash for a taxi too!!!
#924423 by Bretty
01 Aug 2016, 21:58
Thanks folks, and gfonk, long time no hear from you buddy.
#924425 by buns
01 Aug 2016, 22:21
My vote is for the Canary Wharf - good price and near the tube station.

Good for meeting up with Nottingham Nick when he visists London and stays at the Marriott ;-)

Never not had an upgrade as a Diamond

buns
#924426 by Bretty
01 Aug 2016, 22:49
Thanks buns :)
#924427 by gfonk
01 Aug 2016, 23:15
Bretty wrote:Thanks folks, and gfonk, long time no hear from you buddy.

yes, apologies, hoping to be back here a bit more often.
Didnt used to be big fan of hilton but having stayed at a few we are starting to like them, especially Conrad.
#924428 by Bretty
01 Aug 2016, 23:30
I also was never a big Hilton fan until recently having stayed in some of the better properties. I think I've said before, avoid Nottingham (city centre).
Over the past couple of years I've shifted the few business stays I make over to Hilton and a couple of airport stays too. Just recently got status matched to Diamond so figured I'd put some leisure stays in too.

We loved the Conrad in New York and I'm sure the London property is good too, but currently for our dates the prices are too high. We've opted for Bankside. A couple of others are also a bit highly priced on our dates and several have no rooms available and the Bankside looks nice and funky, and by the look of it offer a decent Sunday lunch too.
#924470 by pjh
02 Aug 2016, 17:12
Bretty wrote:
We loved the Conrad in New York and I'm sure the London property is good too, but currently for our dates the prices are too high. We've opted for Bankside. A couple of others are also a bit highly priced on our dates and several have no rooms available and the Bankside looks nice and funky, and by the look of it offer a decent Sunday lunch too.

Not sure you'll be able to pack lunch in after the breakfast on offer at Bankside. It also has the nice touch of an in room offering of a couple of free soft drinks and some snacks. Must cost them close to zero on a per room basis, but feels good in an era of corporate penny pinching being pushed down from the top at Hilton, presumably as they count the cost of a truly barking status match programme,
#924472 by Fabflygirl
02 Aug 2016, 17:29
I am very partial to the Conrad and Hilton Tower Bridge. The Conrad treats me like royalty every time I stay. I have a stay at both for next month. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a nice upgrade at the Conrad as I will be celebrating my birthday during my time there. :-D
#924477 by gumshoe
02 Aug 2016, 18:33
It's a shame there's such a huge difference in quality between Hilton brand properties. I've never stayed in a London one as I live there but the comparison between - say - the Birmingham Metropole or the Southampton Ageas Bowl (well maintained, executive lounges, good facilities) and the Hilton Watford (tired, basic, no lounge) is stark.

I guess the room rates reflect that, and it's the same with other hotel brands eg Marriott and IHG, but surely a company that relies on its brand for its very survival should be aiming for at least some level of consistency?
#924503 by pjh
02 Aug 2016, 21:45
Vegascrazy wrote:Big vote for Hilton Tower Bridge here, extremely good Exec Lounge and, like Buns with Canary Wharf, never not had a Diamond upgrade!

Somehow I missed that off my list. But we think the Exec Lounge offering is not what it was. Breakfast in Jamie's was great though
#926021 by Bretty
12 Sep 2016, 00:27
Well thanks for the recommendations, as I said earlier we opted for Hilton Bankside. It was excellent. First time checking in as Diamond and what a difference. The check-in agent gave me her card and informed me she was on duty for the rest of the day and today and if I need anything to contact her. Room upgrade from King deluxe to one bed suite, I think that's 3 categories above what we booked. It was huge.

I was told that everything in the mini bar apart from alcohol was complimentary and within a few minutes of arrival a bowl of fruit was delivered with a card etc.

We didn't get to use exec lounge in the evening due to our plans, but the lounge breakfast was excellent and plentiful (although topping up some foods and replenishing stock of coffee cups and plates etc was a bit haphazard).

Hotel decor was very nice and not in any way generic as some brands can be, and it was great to stay in a different part of the city than we normally do as this forced us to change from our routine in where we go.

We'll definitely return to this hotel.
#926023 by buns
12 Sep 2016, 07:01
Bretty wrote:Well thanks for the recommendations, as I said earlier we opted for Hilton Bankside. It was excellent. First time checking in as Diamond and what a difference. The check-in agent gave me her card and informed me she was on duty for the rest of the day and today and if I need anything to contact her. Room upgrade from King deluxe to one bed suite, I think that's 3 categories above what we booked. It was huge.

I was told that everything in the mini bar apart from alcohol was complimentary and within a few minutes of arrival a bowl of fruit was delivered with a card etc.

We didn't get to use exec lounge in the evening due to our plans, but the lounge breakfast was excellent and plentiful (although topping up some foods and replenishing stock of coffee cups and plates etc was a bit haphazard).

Hotel decor was very nice and not in any way generic as some brands can be, and it was great to stay in a different part of the city than we normally do as this forced us to change from our routine in where we go.

Clearly "the new kid on the block Hilton" is giving the rest in London a run for their money.

Mrs bund and I have spent the weekend in the Canary Wharf Hilton and they looked after us well. On the other hand, friends stayed at the Olympia Hilton and a world of difference in accommodation and service.

Thanks for the mini review

buns
#926033 by pjh
12 Sep 2016, 09:11
Bretty wrote:Well thanks for the recommendations, as I said earlier we opted for Hilton Bankside. It was excellent. First time checking in as Diamond and what a difference. The check-in agent gave me her card and informed me she was on duty for the rest of the day and today and if I need anything to contact her. Room upgrade from King deluxe to one bed suite, I think that's 3 categories above what we booked. It was huge.

Glad you liked it; I hate it if I recommend something to someone and they don't like it.

Were you offered breakfast in the restaurant? That's worth it if it is part of the deal.

buns wrote:Clearly "the new kid on the block Hilton" is giving the rest in London a run for their money.

Mrs bund and I have spent the weekend in the Canary Wharf Hilton and they looked after us well. On the other hand, friends stayed at the Olympia Hilton and a world of difference in accommodation and service.

There are several Hiltons in London I would actively avoid.
#926044 by Daffodil
12 Sep 2016, 10:30
We stayed at the Hilton Bankside at the end of June and had a similar experience to Bretty's.
We also had afternoon tea, evening drinks and canopies in the executive lounge and breakfast in the restaurant, all excellent.
Its now a real toss up between the Bankside and the Conrad St James
Virgin Atlantic