For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#925715 by Eggtastico
04 Sep 2016, 20:30
Little help!
Looking to use a BA 2 4 1 to get to South America
Would like to visit Easter Island & Machu Picchu

Just trying to work out if I can use AVIOS & how many I need for other trip flights.
I got 2 options with BA
(assuming they allow 2 4 1 as Open Jaw)
UK -> Santiago -> Easter Island -> Santiago -> Lima -> Cusco -> Lima -> UK
Understand Latam used to do Easter Island to Lima direct, but think that has stopped?
Or Reverse - UK -> Lima -> Cusco -> Lima - Santiago -> Easter Island -> Santiago -> UK

I have worked out the internal flights cash price would cost me around £1000
While I dont mind collecting LATAM miles (as it seems I can use them on BA flights)
I would like to see if I can not pay the cash & use AVIOS.

Anyone have any experience in using AVIOS on Latam?
I struggle to work out Avios requirements tbh!
#925724 by honey lamb
05 Sep 2016, 09:43
I was looking at something similar earlier on this year when I was looking to use avios points on Alaska. I found that FT was the most helpful for answering queries about using points on avios earning airlines. (The flight never materialised as my friend moved and I had to go to South Africa)

With regard to LATAM, I'm flying them to Easter Island in January and you're right, they no longer fly from Lima. You will have to fly from Santiago. I didn't look about using points for the flight as a friend is flying with me. However, we did discover that in using the LAN Chile website, the airfare was considerably cheaper than using LAN.com. The website is totally in Spanish but we managed it with some (very) limited knowledge of the language and Google Translate :D

BTW, although Easter Island is part of Chile, the flight is regarded as an international one because of the distance.

I've flown LAN before in South America and they're fine.
#925733 by Eggtastico
05 Sep 2016, 14:19
honey lamb wrote:I was looking at something similar earlier on this year when I was looking to use avios points on Alaska. I found that FT was the most helpful for answering queries about using points on avios earning airlines. (The flight never materialised as my friend moved and I had to go to South Africa)

With regard to LATAM, I'm flying them to Easter Island in January and you're right, they no longer fly from Lima. You will have to fly from Santiago. I didn't look about using points for the flight as a friend is flying with me. However, we did discover that in using the LAN Chile website, the airfare was considerably cheaper than using LAN.com. The website is totally in Spanish but we managed it with some (very) limited knowledge of the language and Google Translate :D

BTW, although Easter Island is part of Chile, the flight is regarded as an international one because of the distance.

Great Info - I will wait for your trip report :D
Are you flying BA to Santiago btw? I had read elsewhere about LAN & using the local site - so will give that a look.
Still need to decide on dates and if I go 2017 or 2018
#925777 by honey lamb
05 Sep 2016, 22:27
Eggtastico wrote:
honey lamb wrote:I was looking at something similar earlier on this year when I was looking to use avios points on Alaska. I found that FT was the most helpful for answering queries about using points on avios earning airlines. (The flight never materialised as my friend moved and I had to go to South Africa)

Great Info - I will wait for your trip report :D
Are you flying BA to Santiago btw? I had read elsewhere about LAN & using the local site - so will give that a look.
Still need to decide on dates and if I go 2017 or 2018

Yes, I am. The service only starts next January so I am lucky that way as the other alternatives were to go via Paris on Air France or Madrid on Iberia. Given all that has happened in France, I was reluctant to do that routing (plus the positioning flight ORK-CDG didn't work out) and the Iberia routing was expensive. I'm doing AMS-LHR-SCL-LHR-LGW-AMS which came out as less than half the price in CW as ORK-LHR-SCL-LHR-ORK! :-O In addition, BA did not offer a First Class option from Cork but did so from Amsterdam. However I'm happy with CW.
Virgin Atlantic