For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#927753 by David
24 Oct 2016, 10:20
Thinking of a trip to NYC thanksgiving weekend arriving into JFK. 1st time staying in New York.

Looking for a hotel (start of with Hiltons or Accor) reasonably central.

Price not really too much of an issue but not too mad.

Anybody got any recommendations ?

Thanks

David
#927755 by marshy11
24 Oct 2016, 10:29
Thanks Giving will be BUSY. We were there a few years ago and stayed a few days before and left on Black Friday. Rail travel on the Friday back to the airport was HORRENDOUS and we abandoned to take a cab. That took forever.

The days before were wonderful, we were the only people at the top of the Rock as we decided to divert from the Macy's parade.

If you like Hiltons, there are plenty, we've stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, just a short walk from the action but not close enough to be bothered by the lights. It's a pleasant enough hotel.
#927761 by slinky09
24 Oct 2016, 11:43
marshy11 wrote:Thanks Giving will be BUSY.

... and expensive!
#927763 by Virgin AU Flyer
24 Oct 2016, 12:25
I can endorse Marshy on the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. Not the most luxurious, but well priced. The main benefit is the great location and convenience to public transport. I believe the restaurant is currently undergoing refurbishment but there are plenty of choices, including some giving discount to guests.
#927775 by joeyc
24 Oct 2016, 17:42
The hiltons that I have stayed at:
Millenium Hilton (opposite ground zero) provides some spectacular views across the Hudson and easy subway access.
Hilton East over in Tudor City is only good if you manage to snag a terrace suite - the rest of the hotel is only 'meh'
Midtown Hilton isn't bad but is a prime spot for conferences and conventions - it is always busy.

My favourite is The London NYC Hotel, over on W54th and 7th and opposite the best Irish pub in the city (that comment may spark debate) Service there is always top notch, the rooms/suites very spacious and it is very centrally located in easy stumbling reach of some amazing restaurants and bars.

If price isn't an issue, how about the Mandarin Oriental or the Park Hyatt :-P ?
Virgin Atlantic