For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#930329 by chrisfinch_2000
19 Dec 2016, 23:16
Hi everyone,
About to book a flight to Thailand with Emirates in business... thinking about the lounges, I appreciate they won't be the same as the clubhouse, but having never been to an emirates lounge before, can anyone tell me if there's much difference between Gatwick and Heathrow!?
Thanks so much!
#930334 by pjh
20 Dec 2016, 01:35
From my albeit limited experience Emirates Lounges are much of a muchness and stick to a house style. This TR includes a picture and my take on the LGW lounge from this summer. I haven't been to the LHR version so can't comment, but the lounge at CPT was in much the same style, albeit over two floors. The DXB lounge is something else, for though again it follows house style it is (they are?) huge.

Two slight benefits of LGW are;

1. that if you use the chauffeur service EK have a private ramp that takes you up to the end of the north terminal where the EK check in desks are. It's not DTCI, but you get help with your luggage to the check in desks and you are away from the petrol fumed madness of the standard drop off zone.

2. When booking you are not going to find yourself on a QF codeshare service as can happen from LHR. Not that there's anything massively wrong with the QF offering, but you don't get to use the EK lounge and the QF A380 don't have a bar.

Enjoy it when the time comes. I think all EK services from LGW are now on the A380?
#930340 by tontybear
20 Dec 2016, 03:16
pick which airport it is easiest to get to and which flight has the best departure / arrival times for you.

Forget lounges if it takes you 2 hours extra and costs more to get to one airport over another.
#930355 by chrisfinch_2000
20 Dec 2016, 11:12
Thanks both, and for the info on Gatwick.
LHR and LGW are both about 45mins from my house and costs are pretty similar and both A380 now, hence me looking for a differentiator
#930359 by pjh
20 Dec 2016, 12:04
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:Thanks both, and for the info on Gatwick.
LHR and LGW are both about 45mins from my house and costs are pretty similar and both A380 now, hence me looking for a differentiator

Though I can't be absolutely sure, I suspect the LGW lounge will be quieter as it seems over sized for the timetable they currently operate.
Virgin Atlantic