For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#935159 by tontybear
12 May 2017, 09:01
I don't normally (well virtually never) do hotel reviews but I have decided to make an exception for the QandA Residences which I stayed in a couple of weeks ago.

I'd seen a number of these types of places on Expedia but behind the good price and nice pictures I wasn't too impressed with some of the reviews especially comments regarding the difficulty in meeting the contact who then demanded extra money and the state of some of the 'residences' so I was hesitant to even look at this entry - in fact I clicked on it by accident - but boy was I glad I did! I'd also seen other proper 'suites' hotels but they had never appealed to me before but this one attracted my attention.

For starters it had a proper website with pictures and floor plans of the suites (no mere rooms!) plus full lists of the amenities and the ability to book direct. It also had excellent reviews on Expedia and Trip Advisor and that led to me to actually book this - plus a great price.

It's next to Wall Street so let's be honest it's not where most people stay when visiting for holiday (though I have before) and things get pretty quiet people wise at night. But that said there are some shops and bars - such as a couple of delis and a Duane Reede and CVS - nearby and the 2/3 line subway stop is literally yards away and other lines (the 4/5 for example) are not that far away.

It's close to the South Street Seaport, The battery for Statue of Liberty and the ferry to Governors Island (well worth a visit) and Staten Island and the 9/11 and WTC complex so not totally isolated from anything touristy.

It's located in a sky scraper that has been converted to apartments with the lower 6 floors dedicated as short term bookings which has separate lifts and entrance within the lobby.

The hotel itself has no entry direct off the street but it is well signposted. The building doormen are well aware where people need to be and point in the right direction. Hotel guests are no issue for them - they opened the door for everyone and always said 'good morning' and helped with bags etc.

Because of the location there is no view - other than the building across the street - the room was quite dark without the lights on. But I’ve stayed in other hotels with no view of anything but a wall or a roof top.

The Welcome

Was friendly and efficient (as were all staff I met). They quickly ran through the amenities and recommended I download the App whilst I was there as they had no room 'book' and it would have all the info I needed. You could even request extra items from housekeeping using it.

The Suite

Yes a suite not a room!

From the descriptions and plans I'd seen I knew I was getting something special but this was way over my expectations.

The suite was long and thin.

Immediately to the right of the entrance was a sort of study area with table and easy chair. Behind it was a walk in wardrobe with plenty of hangers – a couple of dozen not the usual 4 you get! - a safe and space to store cases etc. The chest of drawers was located in an alcove between the lobby and the bathroom.

Next was the bathroom - clean and modern with shower and bath (full size). Plenty of towels and a bath robe (extra towels and robe in the wardrobe). Also plenty of storage space for toiletries etc

Then came the kitchen with a kettle and coffee maker, microwave, hob and oven. dishwasher, sink, cupboards with crockery etc and a huge fridge and separate freezer (with integrated ice machine) . And no having to jig the contents of a mini bar around to put your own supplies in! All were immaculate - it has always been a worry about how clean they are. There was a laundry room (not used) elswhere on the floor (they allow stays up to 29 days I was only there for 6)

Finally the bedroom area with double bed and a couch and a large screen TV with hundreds of channels including 'premium' (HBO etc not that sort!) that were free. The only issue I had with the room was the small window, poor blind and the air con controlls that were all hard to reach as they were behind the large bed head board.

The wi-fi in the room was free and excellent and the TV also had internet access.

There was a large rug under the bed but otherwise it was all laminate flooring.

The room was fully serviced daily. They missed mine out the first day but were genuinely apologetic and soon sent someone up to do a full job when I went out for dinner when all I asked them to do was empty the bin and leave some coffee.

Summary

I would 100% recommend QandA Residences.

For the same price of the room I was considering up town I got a suite with 3 times the space with excellent facilities (even if I didn’t use the oven and hob!)
#935160 by whiterose
12 May 2017, 09:28
Brilliant review Tonty , must have taken lots of time and thought. With family only just outside NYC in NJ, we don't often need to stay up, but "where to stay in New York" has often been asked on here. Good to have a review from someone whose standards are more likely to chime with our own, given your posts and TRs. I am often doubtful about rave reviews on Trip Advisor - would I like what they think is good?