For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#937180 by Jaydun
02 Aug 2017, 21:09
Hi,

My black Amex is due for renewal at the end of this month and I am considering if its worth renewing.
Couple of questions I would be grateful if any one could help:

Over the year I've spent more than £10,000 to qualify for 2x Premium Economy reward upgrades, I understand that these are added to my V-Flyer Account 30 days after my 12 month anniversary, if I don't renew the card will I still get these?

If do decide to stay has anyone had any luck haggling with MBNA to get the annual fee reduced or bonus airmiles (I'm not expecting to get the card totally for free)?

I'm seriously considering moving my spend to the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Card, though I will only get 1 point per £1 spent the first year free and 20k bonus points seems a big draw.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.
#937194 by mdhayes
03 Aug 2017, 10:07
seems there's an 5k points bonus for staying on but I don't think thats worth the £140. I got my reward vouchers then cancelled and the 'refunded' the next years card fee.
I have amex along side my other cards and churn them, that way we generate about 250k-300k points a year.
#937207 by joeyc
03 Aug 2017, 21:28
Jaydun wrote:Over the year I've spent more than £10,000 to qualify for 2x Premium Economy reward upgrades, I understand that these are added to my V-Flyer Account 30 days after my 12 month anniversary, if I don't renew the card will I still get these?

I'm guessing you mean your Virgin Atlantic account :-D

Strictly speaking the earning criteria are to hold the card for 12 months and reach the min spend... so at 12 months and 1 day assuming the minimum spend is reached the bonus/reward is due.

Jaydun wrote:If do decide to stay has anyone had any luck haggling with MBNA to get the annual fee reduced or bonus airmiles (I'm not expecting to get the card totally for free)?

Interesting question, I've genuinely never thought to do this. My renewal is at the end of Septemeber, I'll let you know how I get on ;-)

My two cents on the VS Black Amex... I've used the companion tickets a few times over the years and the Y to W mileage upgrade vouchers have come in handy when travelling with the family.

Putting aside any bonuses and the hassle of cycling cards, the main draw for keeping my Black VS amex active is the 4 miles to £1 spend with VS and VH. You don't get an earn rate like that with Amex any more sadly - I keep hold of the EK equivalent for the same reason.

In my view, the Preferred Rewards Gold card is a good intro into the wider amex family and also allows you to transfer the points into a fair few frequent traveller programs.

I'd suggest that the answer really depends on your spending habits; if you book lots of travel and, indeed do travel a lot with VS, then the VS black card is definitely an asset to keep in your wallet, if you don't perhaps it might be an idea to have a look at some other cards. Sorry I can't give a less ambiguous answer :cool:
Virgin Atlantic