For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#300 by josepg10
21 Feb 2004, 12:10
Hi, I have been spending on the fee paying mastercard (MBNA) card to get a free companion ticket. I am almost at 15K.

I have assumed - maybe stupidly - that it is similar to BA Amex's system.

i.e. You book a air miles flight and concurrently redeem the voucher to sit the other traveller in the same class of travel?

Please advise
#25957 by mitchja
21 Feb 2004, 14:38
Taken from my Flying Club card guide:

Spend £15000 or more a year on your Virgin Card and you'll get a free companion ticket next time you book a qualifying flight with Virgin Atlantic.

Guess this means a full fare Y W or J ticket.
#25959 by Pete
21 Feb 2004, 14:48
Er, yeah. Why would you make the assumption that a MBNA Mastercard deal would work the same as an Amex offer?

The BA Amex offer sounds like a good one, and if I ever wanted to travel BA I might even consider it.

Pix
#25961 by josepg10
21 Feb 2004, 16:02
1. I would make the assumption because MBNA made it clear it was identical to BA's card

2. the use of 3rd parties to service these cards means the chains of information are split between too many parties and crap info (as in point 1) is given to unsuspecting punters

3.the BA card is execellent

4.the final complaint with this card is "Within 7 days of each anniversary date, Virgin Money will notify Virgin Atlantic of your yearly spend and if it equals or exceeds £15,000 your flying club account will be credited with a free companion ticket which will be valid for 12 months."

So, for example, I spend 15K in feb 2004 but want to travel in November. But I can't book cos my card is only valid from October (when i receive my voucher) and the flights/classes may be full by the time i book!

in other words a con!
#25962 by Pete
21 Feb 2004, 17:02
1. Well, if MBNA were claiming it was identical to BA's Amex card, I think you have a pretty good case to have a word with the Trading Standards Office. Did they advertise that, or is it in the promotional literature?

2. The use of 3rd parties is standard, but I agree this can leave nasty gaps in the communication of benefits. It also puts a lot of responsibility on the third party (ie, MBNA or Amex) to deliver the same customer experience as the airline. When MBNA took over the running of the Abbey National credit card, I was very disappointed with the customer service and their marketing techniques, so I don't have a lot of time for them as a company.

3. As I said, the BA Amex offer sounds like a good deal. I'd get one if it weren't for the fact I don't fly BA. If Virgin were to partner with Amex instead of MBNA, maybe I'd be interested.

4. This comes down to understanding the full T&C's before switching spending to take advantage of an offer. Most offers, whether they be from an airline or a supermarket have a catch. If you don't like the terms, no-one's forcing you to take advantage of the offer.

Pix
#25979 by minel
22 Feb 2004, 09:03
One other point Josepg10:

You can get 2 miles for every pound spent on VS mastercard, whereas the max you can get on BA Amex is 1.5. Plus 4X miles on every direct VS spend, whereas only 3* spend on BA direct spend. Another case of VS Mastercard not matching BA Amex??????

As a sheepskin bedecked football maanger might say..'it's swings and roundabouts me old son'
#25993 by josepg10
22 Feb 2004, 17:30
too true. My main issue is
a)T and C's should be clear and uncomplicated as stated in all consumer financial statutory guidelines.

b)3rd parties should know the T and C's as well as Virgin's own staff would - if the product is going to survive and thrive MBNA needs to do some joined up thinking so their people don't give out incomplete or at worst incorrect info.

thanks for your feed back tho.
Virgin Atlantic