For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#35 by Pete
30 Nov 2003, 13:02
I'll probably be off to SFO in early January, and it'll be my first trip over there for at least 4 years. I've seen some great deals on hotels via the virgintravelstore. The one thing I have learnt about SFO is that there are an awful lot of bad hotels - so I don't fancy taking pot luck :) I've stayed at the Montechello before, and to my memory that wasn't a bad one - and it's also got a good rate for my dates of travel.

So, before I start rambling, any up-to-date advice on hotels in the Union Square/Moscone Center area? My criteria are;

- Budget: I'm paying for this myself, so whilst the 'W' would be nice, I have to be realistic. I'm also beyond the Days Inn or Super 8.
- Location: I'm going to around the Moscone Center most of my trip - so walkable would be better than getting taxis all the time
- Any other benefits? Miles-earning; breakfast included? Internet access in the room? These are all factors to consider!

Any help in making the right choice is appreciated!

Pix
#25056 by The_Banking_Scot
30 Nov 2003, 13:12
Hi pixuk,

I like the Hilton San Francisco ( just off Union Square,on OFarrell St -about a 2-3min walk)

As a HH Gold I got access to the executive lounge including breakfast and upgraded rooms. The fitness centre is good with tv's on the treadmils and an outdoor deep pool (9ft at the deep end and heated too)and small spa pool.

I think there is also internet via the tv ( do not know the cost)

Also 1000 VS miles !:)

Alternatives, maybe the Hyatt on Embarcadero. The Hilton in Fishermans Wharf is ok but probably in the wrong direction.

I do not know much about the Starwood hotels.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25058 by RichardMannion
30 Nov 2003, 19:55
Hi Pete,

I stayed at the Westin St Francis (Starwood) in Union Square last December - it was very nice and I got a good rate from American Express if I remember.

One to watch out for on Starwood is the Best Price guarantee, where if you can find a lower rate than on starwood.com for a room, they will match it and give you another 10% off. Done this a few times now. Let me know the dates if you want another pair pf eyes to have a look for you!

Otherwise, you thoguht about do Priceline?

Thanks,
Richard
#25064 by Pete
30 Nov 2003, 22:05
Dates will be 6th - 11th.

Never tried priceline - assumed you had to take a gamble on whether your 'bid' would be accepted, and I kind of like to have the instant gratification of knowing the booking is sorted. Maybe I've got my perception wrong.

Pix.
#25065 by The_Banking_Scot
30 Nov 2003, 23:37
Hi pixuk,

If you search on http://www.biddingfortravel.com you can get a list of posters and the hotels they have gotten and what they have bid which might help give advice as to which hotels are more likely to come up.

Of course with priceline you may not get airline miles or elite benefits ( evidence from Flyertalk differs between chains)

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25069 by Bazz
01 Dec 2003, 11:39
Pix,

Can't help with the area you need but if you strike out and decide to go for Fishermam's Wharf, the Holiday Inn is pretty good for the money. We stayed there last March and were well treated, its also a great location for accessing all those FW restaurants and night-life.

TBS is right about the frequent guest programs, when booking through the online discount sites you can find all you expected benefits evaporate, again as TBS says much discussion on this topic on FT.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25192 by mcuth
07 Jan 2004, 15:38
Pix

Hmmm, I've only stayed at 2 hotels in SF - Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero (Dec '03 - $159p.n. r/o), and the Holiday Inn Express down on Fisherman's Wharf (Sep '02 - $59p.n. r/o). Didn't have a problem in either - both v comfortable & clean. etc.. I also heard good reports about the Marriott on F/W :)

BTW, you know they've extended BART to go all the way to SFO from the city now?

Cheers

Michael
#25198 by Pete
07 Jan 2004, 22:03
Ended up booking through Virgin Holidays, and picked the Stanford Court on Nob Hill. Very pleasant, although you realise early that a 7-day pass for the Cable Car is essential to get up those steep hills!

Pix.
#25199 by mcuth
08 Jan 2004, 00:50
Pix
quote:Ended up booking through Virgin Holidays, and picked the Stanford Court on Nob Hill. Very pleasant,

It does look very nice. Will add to my list for future reference I think :)

quote:although you realise early that a 7-day pass for the Cable Car is essential to get up those steep hills!

LOL - Just a *little* bit :D

Cheers

Michael
#25219 by RichardMannion
10 Jan 2004, 21:21
quote:Originally posted by pixuk
Ended up booking through Virgin Holidays, and picked the Stanford Court on Nob Hill. Very pleasant, although you realise early that a 7-day pass for the Cable Car is essential to get up those steep hills!

Pix.

Now being a loyal Virgin Flyer, I wonder why you picked that particular hotel ;)

Richard
#25281 by Bazz
16 Jan 2004, 12:32
Very cryptic Richard ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25293 by mitchja
17 Jan 2004, 14:20
I know it's a bit late - but I would recomend the W - fantastic downtown hotel with everything you could possibly want - high speed internet, wireless internet, great bar, cool pool and fantastic food. Great for business or lesiure travel. The service is outstanding. Only 25mins from airport.

Big W hotel fan here - both in Sydney, SFO and NYC :)

Silver Flying Club member since 2000
#25306 by Pete
17 Jan 2004, 17:05
I did have breakfast and a couple of evening drinks at the W. Very nice place, and will certainly consider it on my next trip.

Pix
#25319 by Bazz
19 Jan 2004, 10:22
Is the W on Union Square?

Bazz
Still Flying
#25321 by Pete
19 Jan 2004, 12:32
Nope, it's just south of Market next to the Moscone Center.

Pix.
Virgin Atlantic