For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#41 by jm
03 Dec 2003, 15:50
My wife and I will be in England in June and would prefer to stay at a hotel in Kensington. Any suggestions? Any hotels to definitely avoid?

Also, the focus of our trip will be touring English gardens. So far, we have definite plans to see the gardens at Mottisfont Abbey, Regents Park, and Sissinghurst. Does anyone have any suggestions for other places? Our preference is roses. Also, we would like to hire a private car and driver to take us to places outside of London. Does anyone recommend a reputable company? We're not looking for a tour guide, just a driver.

For all of you in London, my wife and I have fallen in love with your city. This will be our third visit in four years.

Also, I live a 45-minute plane ride from New Orleans, Louisiana, and I have been going there 3-4 times a year for more than a decade now. When I was younger, I visited relatives who used to live there. Therefore, I am quite familiar with the City, including its hotels and restaurants. So, if anyone needs any information, I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

Thanks!
#25074 by RichardMannion
03 Dec 2003, 16:33
The London Hilton Kensington is not too bad, although I would not exactly call it in the centre of Kensington.

Normally has some great rates on Expedia of under 100/night inc breakfast for 2.

1000 Virgin Miles per stay too.

Thanks,
Richard
#25075 by Pete
03 Dec 2003, 17:03
My recommendation would be the Copthorne Tara, near Kensington High Street tube station.

If you book direct on their website (they're part of the Millenium Hotels group), you can get prices for 80 pounds including tax, and if you book with Amex, you can also get a free room upgrade.

1000 Virgin miles too.

Pix
#25177 by phil944
05 Jan 2004, 17:36
If you are a Starwood fan (SPG) then I would recommend the Belgravia Sheraton Hotel. Quieter than many in the area, sometimes good deals can be found on lastminute.com - although they are prone to not mention the hotel by name (so shrewd knowledge - or compare descriptions with the hotels own web page may be necessary).

If gardens is your thing I recommend the Royal Horticultural Socieity (RHS) gardens at Wisley - 20 miles SW of London. Check out:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsgardenfinder/gardenfinder.asp

Phil