For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#535 by AlanA
23 Mar 2004, 15:06
How about these prices then?
I need to fly to Gothenburg on buisiness every six weeks or so. I used BA & Duo from birmingham until a new Swedish airline City Airlines started flying the route (code share with BMI) Duo could not compete on price so they pulled out. Now only leaves the following three flights to Gothenburg from the UK
1) BHX-GOT City Airlines
2) MAN-GOT City airlines
3) LHR-GOT SAS

Need a flight, cheapest of all is £510 in restricted economy and BMI buisiness (for VS tier points) £625!

Does not matter what date I pick all around these prices.
Cheaper to fly to the uSA than to Sweden!!
(mutter, mutter...) [:(!][:(!]
#27446 by Nottingham Nick
23 Mar 2004, 15:20
Wow - that makes some of the east coast US off peak fares even bigger bargains than I thought.

I guess the power of a cartel can never be underestimated.

Nick
#27453 by JonBuck
23 Mar 2004, 15:58
I agree what a complete rip-off. Have you dared to try RyanAir from Stansted? They fly to Saeve which is closer to the city than Landvetter.
#27455 by AlanA
23 Mar 2004, 16:02
quote:Originally posted by JonBuck
I agree what a complete rip-off. Have you dared to try RyanAir from Stansted? They fly to Saeve which is closer to the city than Landvetter.

The only problem with Stanstead is that it is a complete bugger to get to from the Midlands. At least two and half hours each way with awful roads system to navigate.
#27464 by JonBuck
23 Mar 2004, 17:01
I know what you mean, I live in the southwest Midlands and hate trying to get "cross country". But with the £450 you'll be saving you could go the night before and stay in a plush hotel - if such a place exists near Stansted!
#27467 by Nottingham Nick
23 Mar 2004, 17:10
Alan

I am not speaking from experience, but I have been told that although the roads round Stanstead are in a mess - the cross country rail links to the airport are supposed to be quite good.

Just a thought.

Nick
#27471 by AlanA
23 Mar 2004, 17:19
quote:Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Alan

I am not speaking from experience, but I have been told that although the roads round Stanstead are in a mess - the cross country rail links to the airport are supposed to be quite good.

Just a thought.

Nick

Ta, I'll see if I can get a train from Rugby or Leamington Spa
#27479 by JonBuck
23 Mar 2004, 17:28
I never even thought of public transport. It's normally in such a sorry state that I often forget there are some good routes out there.
#27560 by AlanA
24 Mar 2004, 11:19
Looked at train times from Birmingham, Rugby & leamington Spa to Stansted, none of them less that three hours and two changes of train!
#28802 by hudsterou
10 Apr 2004, 11:01
quote:Originally posted by AlanA
Looked at train times from Birmingham, Rugby & leamington Spa to Stansted, none of them less that three hours and two changes of train!

You could travel from Nuneaton, no change of train required and journeys under 3 hours....
#28806 by AlanA
10 Apr 2004, 13:00
quote:Originally posted by hudsterou
quote:Originally posted by AlanA

You could travel from Nuneaton, no change of train required and journeys under 3 hours....

TA, I'll have a look at that :-)
Virgin Atlantic