For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#778 by Vslf
08 Apr 2004, 11:59
Hi all,

starting to think about booking a hotel for a trip to Washington later this year, any suggestions? It's our first time there, looking to do three days touristy stuff, again, any suggestions of must-see sights very welcome.

ta

VSlf
#28685 by josepg10
08 Apr 2004, 14:06
the MONARCH or the WESTIN GRAND
both lovely and competitive.
#28690 by Nottingham Nick
08 Apr 2004, 15:05
The obvious 'must see' is the Smithsonian - I could spend days in the National Air and Space Museum. We stayed at a The Holiday Inn Capitol, which is close by, last time we were there. Very good staff - even gave us a bottle of champagne and a bar of fudge as a Valentine's gift:):)

Just out of town I like the Tyson's Corner area - great malls and the right side for the airport. We stayed at a Best Western there, they had airport and subway shuttle bus and a great Manager's reception;)

DC is very tourist friendly wikth good guides and lots of information points. It also strikes me as showing off the best and worst of the American Dream - ultra rich and successful people living within a couple of blocks of abject poverty and drug induced deprivation - but that is just my personal view.

Nick
#28993 by Vslf
13 Apr 2004, 10:51
Thanks for the info

Vslf
#29025 by jaguarpig
13 Apr 2004, 16:01
Stopped at the Washington Hilton on dupont circle last couple of times its a bit uptown but cabs are plentiful.The melrose on the edge of George town is good.If budget is no probs the new ritz carlton or the 4 seasons both in George town are both excellent Go to Arlington to see JFK and RFKs final resting places along with alot of others very moving and a nice walk over the memorial bridge.The zoo has the giant pandas and almost all of the attractions are free plus the new ww2 memorial is opening later this month.One last one thats missed off of the maps sometimes is the recent Roservelt memorial its quite different and worth a look.
#29052 by The_Banking_Scot
13 Apr 2004, 20:01
Hi,

I like

Hilton Embassy Row
Doubletree Crystal City
Hilton Garden Inn Franklin Sq. is also supposed to be good

(Hilton Status : Gold when staying at the above)

Also;

Marriott Crystal City/Gateway & Marriott Key Bridge.

There is also the new A&S Museum at Dulles with an AF Concorde, SR-71 Blackbird and the Space shuttle enterprise .

Regards

TBS
#29066 by RichardMannion
13 Apr 2004, 22:28
I stayed at The Capitol Hilton, which is very close to the White House - nice hotel. Got a really good rate if I recall.

Must go back to IAD, its very nice. Georgetown was marvellous and those malls at Tysons Corner - did the Centurion get a battering.....

Thanks,
Richard
#29308 by JonBuck
16 Apr 2004, 12:09
I've used the Westin Grand a few times now, always very nice and friendly. It's a bit of a trek from the downtown spots, but as it's next to the EU American Delegation offices, always plenty of cabs. Only a stones throw from Georgetown which is a must see. Other good places to visit are all of the Smithsonian museums, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Discovery Channel Store and a Pentagon Tour (If they still allow it - if they do don't forget your passport)
Virgin Atlantic