For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#837 by BlackCat
12 Apr 2004, 11:06
Apropos Jonathan S's post, ex-LIS US fares on BA First are still very good. £1,700 vs £3,700 for JFK in June (and £1,900 vs £5,000 to SFO!). OK, you need to add in £200 for the cost of a round trip LHR-LIS-LHR flight, but even so this is rather tempting.

Lisbon's a pleasant enough place for a night out and there's a decent enough connnection first thing in the morning if you want to do it straight through. Sure, an extra 4 hours or so travelling time, but you do get 420 or so BA tier points which starts to get you close to the magic 600 for Silver if you do the odd bit of intra-UK BA like I do.

Or VS UC Z fare direct for £1,800 I s'pose!

Hmmm....

BC
#28910 by mcuth
12 Apr 2004, 15:15
BC
quote:
Or VS UC Z fare direct for £1,800 I s'pose!

Yes, I'd take this one ;);)

Cheers
#28937 by Jonathan S
12 Apr 2004, 19:26
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one a. search for these ex lisbon fares, and b. book them. Also do you need to travel to LIS for the outbound, or can you join the connection at LHR?

J.x
#28941 by BlackCat
12 Apr 2004, 19:44
You can book ex-LIS on Expedia or Travelocity... you used to be able to do it on BA.com too. You do need to travel to LIS to start it: you cannot just pick up the flight, hence the extra flying time. On the way back you can fail to use the last LHR-LIS segment though.

You can also do this trick via VIE for some good fares sometimes. If you don't mind the extra time (or fancy an overnight in Lisbon) then I guess it makes sense. And at the risk of sounding even more heretical, BA FIRST knocks spots off VS UC in many departments, particularly the drinks and food. Not a fair comparison of course, but with the ex-LIS prices it's enough to make you stop and think.

BC
#28954 by RichardMannion
12 Apr 2004, 21:39
I know what you mean BC - I thought about it for a while. I remember mailing it out to our office and man did it create some furore - the amount of questions I got asked....

UK seems to do badly on the offer front for BA - I remember that for a while French customers booking Club to NYC could do one leg on Concorde!

Oh well - i've only flown to the US once on an airline other than VS and only then because it was Concorde :)

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. VS Z is the way forward!
#28982 by Goldenoldie
13 Apr 2004, 06:36
Richard

I am sure that the topic of where you get UC Z tickets has been discussed previously. Could you point me to this?
many thanks
Goldenoldie
#29065 by RichardMannion
13 Apr 2004, 22:26
You can get them via the usual places - direct with VS, Virgin Travelstore, Expedia etc.

You will have to book some time in advance as they sell quickly!

Thanks,
Richard
#29335 by jaguarpig
16 Apr 2004, 14:45
I just checked these fares out they are rather good I wounder how long they will last.I have my VS TPs sorted for gold renewal this year already I may have to defect just to do a comparison though;).Does anyone know what champers BA are serving in first at present,last time I was on it was Krug.One other question do BA allow spouses to combind mileage & TPs into one account.
#29342 by BlackCat
16 Apr 2004, 15:38
I don't think it's Krug any more... [:(!]

BC
#29354 by jaguarpig
16 Apr 2004, 17:41
At that price its probably Jacobs Creek sparkling.My mate who retired last year after 33 years with BA said there had been a lot of cut backs in CW and First.
#29399 by Goldenoldie
17 Apr 2004, 05:14
As with jaguarpig, the choice of champers was on my mind when I took my only first class trip (to Brunei on Royal Brunei) a few years ago. Shock horror, it turned out to be a dry flight and it is a very long flight[:(]. Whilst in Brunei, you could get alcohol in certain restaurants Ð you asked for Ôspecial teaÕ and got tinned beer served in a teapot that you drunk from tea cups! Needless to say I took my own supply of passable red wine onto the return flight and made frequent visits to the toilet! I now know why the flight was only £2000 and indeed I was the only pax in first both ways.

GO
#29403 by BlackCat
17 Apr 2004, 09:09
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
At that price its probably Jacobs Creek sparkling.My mate who retired last year after 33 years with BA said there had been a lot of cut backs in CW and First.

I think it is Piper Heidsieck but I couldn't swear to it. CW doesn't even have priority bag handling any more! Mind you, FIRST still outshines most things in the sky.

BC
#29411 by jaguarpig
17 Apr 2004, 11:49
A bit sick when Singapore have both Krug and Dom in first.
Virgin Atlantic