For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#865 by HighFlyer
14 Apr 2004, 12:36
Hi there

As much am i am a Virgin fan, i cant deny that BA's First is exceptional. For my partners birthday next year i would like to treat him to a trip in First.

Who here has flown First that could give me some insight?

I fancied a trip to Dubai in May (works out quite cheap considering) but the plane is a 777. I want to know how this differs from the few pictures i have seen on First in brochures. (You know, the pictures hanging on the cabin wall and the lengthy leg room)

Anyone how has flown first, please fill me in on what to expect, and whether it was worth it

:)
#29108 by BlackCat
14 Apr 2004, 13:10
On a BA 777 seats 2EF are the ones in FIRST to go for if you are travelling as a couple. To my mind the 747 feels as if it has more space and certainly feels more private in the nose (thinks VS UC in 747 vs A340), but you shouldn't notice any a difference in service.

Is it worth it? Difficult to say without knowing how much you are paying! Personally I find it difficult to justify FIRST rather than business class unless I have a very good deal.

BC
#29110 by HighFlyer
14 Apr 2004, 13:24
Hi there

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I found a price in May of £2992.40 per person (inc taxes) to Dubai in First, which seems very reasonable to me! (not sure what you think? Is it a good deal) I have just shelled out well over £1000 for tickets in PE to Vegas though, so in comparison it could be well worth it for the experience.

I just want to be sure that i will get what the brochures offer?

I cant seem to find any pictures of the 777, only the 747 and i wanted to be sure that the 777 wasnt second rate. You know how all airlines show the best pictures in their brochures, like Virgin shows their pictures of PE from the 747, regardless of whether you are on the Airbus, in which case it is slightly different.

Are the seats the same on both planes? The ones that fold flat into a bed?

The only reason for doing this is the experience. I want to take boyf to the Airport on his birthday trip and then surprise him by taking him to the First check-in counter (after saying we are in WTP or something)

#29113 by BlackCat
14 Apr 2004, 14:50
The seats should be the same "demi-cabin" type. Don't forget you can use the Concorde Room at LHR which gets you away from the hoi-polloi with Gold cards and lesser tickets :)

Price-wise you can do Emirates First Class for just over £2K, but the price you quote seems reasonable for BA (although once Emirates has its full cabins in operation then BA will have some serious competition).

For a photo of 777 FIRST try http://www.airliners.net/open.file/222724/M/ and http://www.airliners.net/open.file/046446/M/ which shows 2E&F.

BC
#29114 by HighFlyer
14 Apr 2004, 15:03
Thanks for the pictures. Still seems a bit tight for space (consideringits First) but i guess its dependant on the angle the picture was taken.

When do Emirates get these cabins? Are these for the new A380 aibus? I was looking to travel in 2005 if that helps.

I chose BA as they seem to offer the best 'First' but if Emirates will be beating this then i will definately change, i am just looking for the most extravagant/luxurious flight for a one off!

Thanks for all your info! :)
#29115 by BlackCat
14 Apr 2004, 15:23
For more on the Emirates A340-500 see http://www.emirates.com/a340/. However it looks as if this design is first going to appear on the extra-long haul routes out of Dubai rather than the European flights, so stick with BA.

BC
#29119 by HighFlyer
14 Apr 2004, 17:12
Thank-you for all your help BlackCat!

I think i will go ahead with the BA Dubai flight, it would makea super 4 night trip. However i cant wait to check out Emirates, those suites look fantastic. I will certainly want to get in there when they are fitted!

Virgin Atlantic