For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#957 by HighFlyer
21 Apr 2004, 14:56
I am trying to decide between a trip in BA's Club World or First. (i havent become a traitor, VS dont fly to where im going)

Anyone with experience, please let me know what you think is better/worse and why.

This trip will likely be on a 777, incase anyone has particular experience with those planes.

Cost isnt really an issue, the flight will be part of a cheap package, i just want a flat bed and a flash flight with dinner on China. I went for First as its obviously top class, but id be interested to see if you think there is a good enough difference to warrant the extra money. Im not fussed about paying the extra but if your not getting anything special then i might as well save it for another trip shouldnt i?.

All conmments welcome

:)
#29728 by csparker
21 Apr 2004, 15:29
Can't do you a first vs CW conparison, but a CW (747) vs VS UC might help you pitch things.

Car:
Not on your life in CW...

Lounge:
Terraces lounge at LHR T4 is self service with snacks only and no hot food. No salon, shoe shine. Computers are pay access, and I couldn't find a power point to charge up my laptop.

Seat:
Not as wide as UCS or J2000. Horizontal, but not flat (the seat part is slightly higher than the rest). Not as long as either J2000 or UCS when laid out. Half the seats face backwards, and geting out of a window seat is a bit of a threading job. For in seat power, you have to buy the cable.

Service:
Eat when you're served in CW, with snacks from a basket at the back of the section. CW food served on china. No in flight bar, and if you want a drink you have to go and ask (or presumably use the call button which I am too nervous to do!).
#29763 by jaguarpig
21 Apr 2004, 21:10
These are my impressions of BAs premium products but it has been over 2 years since I last flew long haul with them.If money is no object fly first class I have always had tip top service, fantastic food and wine eat when you want with full service and an excellent seat this has only had cosmetic changes since I flew.Full sleeper service with sleep suit and duvet.The video player in the arm was a bugger for jamming up, but it does give you a choice of 30 or so films(this is not avalible in CW).CW has been degraded dramatically over the last few years UC knocks spots off of it in either J2000 or UCS no priority baggage no pre flight champers a smaller seat no sleep suit and a crappy blanket so thin I would not let our cat sleep on it,prepacked and trayed meal service and on my last few flights terrible staff attitude.I vowed after the last particularly terrible waste of money in CW never to flight long haul with BA ever again but those first fares to USA Via Lisbon look very tempting.I will however never bother with CW again whatever the price.
#29799 by HighFlyer
22 Apr 2004, 10:18
Thanks Jaguar, that was an interesting read.

I know that some airlines downgraded their premium products due to the dropping demand after 9/11 but i didnt imagine BA would be one of them.

I guess for the experience, it has to be First doesnt it? I thought CW wasnt a lot different (at least, it didnt use to be)

Ok, you got me, i'll just have to start saving that extra couple of £k to do First and be done with it!
#29806 by 747sardine
22 Apr 2004, 12:51
I have to concour with the description of CW. I flew them late last year and scored an upgrade. The cabin feels really cramped with seats seemingly facing every which direction. (they face both forward and aft).

Really thin seat and average IFE and food. But they did have great wine, I'll give them that much.

Fly UC as far as you can and take a connecting flight the rest of the way...If I go to Beijing I fly VS to Honkers and connect with Dragonair who are fantastic.
#29809 by HighFlyer
22 Apr 2004, 13:27
Thanks for your replies.

Im flying to Dubai which VA do not go to yet. I have dropped VA an email asking if this is one of the routes they are investigating. If so, i would go with them at the drop of a hat (BA who?)

Im planning a trip to the Burj Al Arab, and if you are familiar with the hotel you will understand why i want to arrive in style.

I had always thought CW was a good product, but with the UCS (and UC in general) they really cannot compete.

I will either go in First or with Emirates if VA will not secure that route, but ill let you all know what they say when i hear from them.
#29944 by Ardbroilach
23 Apr 2004, 18:53
I flew CW to New York last year - on the upper deck of a 747. Lounge comments above are pretty much accurate but you can get treatments at the Molton Brown Travel Spa. Inflight was very comfortable, cabin was quiet and I slept well. Thought the food and beverages were of a high quality - had a nice selection of champagne cocktails on departure. Sat facing and my wife sat with her back to the direction of travel. No complaints from either of us. Service was pretty good too - but don't remember it as being outstanding.
We flew back in CW from St Lucia in a 777 with cradle seat configuration - not worth the money, so make sure your flight will be flatbeds. Fortunately we were upgraded to the "First" cabin, although the service (food, wine, IFE) was Club. Again, this was very comfortable (1-2-1 configuration), quiet and I splept like a baby before my wife woke me up.
Virgin Atlantic