Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#907905 by VS071GLAMCO
28 Jul 2015, 23:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well, after two weeks of the Florida sun and fireworks - and of course, meeting Anna and Elsa - it was time to come home. I uploaded a small amount here http://stuartcowperphotography.smugmug. ... orld-2015/ and even smaller below.

Had upgraded to Premium at the time we booked, Virgin economy is really good, but its fine to have the comfier seat and more room for the 'night' flight home. I say 'night' since we leave Orlando at half 4 and get into Glasgow at 5 oclock, which back in Orlando is midnight, so you aren't really that tired. Again, we booked the back row and one in front - just so we could fully recline guilt free.

Once again made use of Downtown Disney check-in and down there for opening, just one other family there at that time. I've said before, but its really worth the $10 per person to get rid of the bags there and save a good bit of time at the airport, which when there are 5 flights all leaving in a couple hours of each other is a good lot of time. I couldn't remember the code to login to online check-in the night before so a disappointing SEQ 1xx

Had a walk through Downtown Disney and got a bus back up to the hotel, usual last minute bits and pieces bought before the Magical Express picked us up at 12.30. Got airport back of 1 and had a donder around before heading to security at 1.45 - a decentish sized queue which is typical for Orlando at this time of day. We were through by 2pm - no stopping of bag and they have the body scanners there as well. To be fair, they did have a member of staff shouting instructions as folk approached to make sure shoes off / laptops out etc. Met family from Durham who we had met at our hotel - they were heading back on the TCX to Manchester. Usual last meal at the burger king having an eye on what was going on - this side of the airport its largely Delta and Southwest ops and then down to the 80s where it was pretty quiet and G-VXLG Ruby Tuesday waiting for us.

Boarding started at 15.35 and we were on at 15.40 with the champers coming round at 15.45 and papers a couple minutes later. The 377 passengers and 17 crew pushed back at 16.22 and rather unusually went on a tour of the airport to take off on 18L, one of Orlando's two rather large 12,000ft runways. On the taxi round we passed the fire station and saw a United 757 leaving - there were a couple more outside the United hangar which has sadly and finally had the old Continental sign taken down. These are on the west side of the airport, and with storms approaching from the east this must have been why we got put over there. Take off was at 16.42 and to the south before a right turn back up north at the western side of Disney - we were wrong side of plane to see. Menus were dished out at 16.55 and straight after the hot face cloths brought round - felt like a new man after putting it round the back of my neck! The drinks run came round at 17.10.

Out of the choice of 75 films, 49 tv shows, 79 albums and 20 games got to be something - and really chuffed to see they had McFarland USA on. Disney do a lot of things well, and their sporting underdog films are tried and tested but this is a cut above the rest - a true story about cross country runners in a small town in rural California near the Mexican border. I meant to see it when it came out in February and never got round to it - but its first class.

Any C-17 spotters among us? Charleston Air Force Base in South Carolina is the place for you...

Not long before 6 they started to come round with dinner. Now, choosing the back row of 6 in PE, I fully understand and expect that I might not get my first choice. However, and this is perhaps due to the fact they were still bringing on meals as we were at the gate and heard one catering guy say they were short, but they ran out of both the chicken and beef option by the time they got to me. Well, actually I got the last beef and it was my sister who looked to be bumped. The girl went through to economy and came back to say they had Chicken Teriyaki and Roast Beef - on hearing that I gave my sister the beef and took the Chicken Teriyaki. To be fair, it wasn't that bad, i've probably tasted better before but it was fine, although I was gutted on missing out on the curry as they are typically really good on Virgin. I did cause a bit of an issue when mum asked what I chose and said the Chicken Teriyaki - the woman across the isle in that row - who was travelling with the woman next to mum wasn't overly pleased as she was told she couldn't get an economy meal - as they still had both options at that point. I've only knocked one point off as not that harsh, and the economy meal wasn't that bad, if it wasn't up to scratch of left with the vegetarian option then might have given 3.

Well,there wasn't that much to see going up the coast with a bit of cloud around, however up near Boston we came pretty close to D-ABYG Lufthansa 747-8i on a Newark-Frankfurt flight at 35,000 as we cruised along at 36,975.

A little after dinner drink at 7, which was followed at 9pm by a tea / hot chocolate run, might have been juice as well can't remember now.

Sundown and a photo op of Venus and Jupiter.

Had a little bit of a kip, got to say one of the smoothest flights I've been on, no problems with turbulence even in the slightest - normally always some over Maine / Newfoundland way. Woke up just before breakfast was served, which has certainly improved since last time, with the baked beans looking more like baked beans than coffee beans like last year - didn't even try them they looked that inedible.

Before our descent crew came round with the love hearts

There are a few photos in this next lot, but we got a cracker of a sunrise as we came in - over the north of the city before coming in on 23.

Just for the sake of it, a couple map shots thrown in here.

A treat as we turned off to see the Bandit was parked up. Only ever seen it at Newark and from a distance.

Once at the gate, we had a near half hour wait before being let off. We were there for a while before the airbridge was moved out, and then the captain came on to say that the delay was due to a lack of security personnel to meet the aircraft. Still, we waited, and then another annoucement from a rather hacked off sounding captain to say that he has called again and to ask where they are and to hurry them up. You could see the ground crew with the wheelchairs sitting waiting. One of the first people in economy waiting to get off was your stereotypical big Glasgow woman and she gave them both barrels when they eventually turned up :lol: . I can't find the note I made, but from what he said, and i'm sure someone here can correct me, but he said that there is normally 5 to meet an aircraft that size, but the minimum is 2, and as soon as the first two were there then we would be off. Anyway, once we were off, the bonus of coming in to gate 33 for a change was the ability to get a good photo at the bottom of the stairs. No queue at border control - seen it queued round the corner before - and we got to use the self service lanes which were pretty good, bit slow on reading the passport though. We were in baggage claim by 5.35 and out of it 5 minutes later and back at the car for 6.20 - so not too bad a time really considering the wait to get off the plane and for the bus to the car park.

Where it all begins for some...

....it was over for others as we got a glance of Ruby Tuesday as we headed up the M8. Once again, can't fault Virgin, crew were attentive and when it came to finding a meal looked upstairs as well for us before offering the economy option. Looking forward to next year's trip already.

#907908 by David
29 Jul 2015, 07:34
once again, great pics - can't wait to get back in a few weeks and experience some sunshine !!

We are flying back into GLA and really enjoy the early arrival time with no shuttles afterwards which makes for a quick journey home :)

thanks again

David
#907921 by Fuzzy14
29 Jul 2015, 13:06
Great trip report and well done with all the pictures.

When I've flown into Glasgow and the TCX A330 beats us the border can be a nightmare and I've been held back on the plane before. However I flew in on the 19th and was surprised how many customs officers were on duty, 6 people at 5am. Obviously somebody, perhaps Virgin, has fired off a proverbial rocket at them based on your experience.

PE breakfast looks far most appetising than the rubbish they hand out in economy.
#908029 by Maximus
31 Jul 2015, 20:58
Thanks for the report- really enjoyed seeing the photos.
Virgin Atlantic