Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#939237 by roadrunner
23 Oct 2017, 03:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Although we were traveling on the same ticket, my partner was able to do early check in and print a boarding pass with TSA pre-check which he keeps getting, although he's never registered for it, but mine read I had to check in at the terminal kiosk due to ' governmental regulations'. It didn't say whose government or which regulations. Check in was quick and easy at an empty economy window, so I thought oh that's it.
A huge thank you 007Francis for his generous extension of CH to we two. It was lovely meeting him and his wife and good fun sharing what we love most about Cape Cod. We had a brief but relaxed CH visit, with a bar drink and a light bite. when boarding was announced. Oddly we had received an e-mail apology from VS saying the plane would leave at designated time but arrive late. Given there had been hurricane winds up the east coast, understandable, but I've certainly never received a similar message unless it was about a late departure. As it turned out we arrived very close to on time.
On arrivng at the gate, partner passed right through and I got the 'ding' of doom. I was told to sit with the others on the Group W bench (and even though I was arriving with the CH call, there was good attendance on that demand bench). No nonsense request to produce our carryons, we watched as the last magazines were snapped up, the last water bottles, the last passengers. Our laptops and phones scanned and approved, we were allowed boarding but of course by then there was no locker room on a full flight.
Tucked backpack under seat, took a glass of fizz as departure was cleared and in flight. Same seats as VS12 on way out, I took matters in my own hands and asked the couple in the bulkead seats in front of us if they might consider not reclining terribly far back, as IF their heads arrived in our laps, we might have to give their temples a massage. They were extremely thoughtful and no problems.
Again slept a good portion of the flight (video and tv offerings not terrific this flight) .Dinner eaten, tea missed, it was uneventful and pleasant, no galley chatter, attentive crew.
So sorry to seem fussy but again this late departure time for VS 11 (usually between 1:30 and 3:30 pm and now 5:30) means arriving in Boston at 7:30 earliest and out on tarmac earliest 8-8:30. By the time we boarded the shuttle bus, collected car and headed west (10 pm), it was way past alert driving o'clock BST.

Overall, good flight, PE well worth the leg room (and knee room with thoughtful recline) and look forward to next flight.
#939252 by SlimpyJones
23 Oct 2017, 15:23
Thanks for your TRs :) The late departure from LHR works rather well for me - or at least, it will do early next year as I intend to work a full day remotely and the immediately hop on a plane to Boston. The late departure however I agree is a bit of a pain, mostly because of the late arrival, so for my next return trip I'm giving the earlier Delta return flight a go.

I agree with your thoughts on recline, it's a tricky subject and a bit of a double-edged sword, as much as recline is very nice I do have sympathy for those getting a faceful of IFE screen. I always try to do as you did and ask the person behind me if they mind and to let me know if it's too much. Failing that if I'm in PE I always try to grab the back row so recline doesn't become a problem.

The PE product is great in my opinion, I'm looking forward to my next trip as well :)

Thanks again
#939260 by Francis007
23 Oct 2017, 22:44
Hi Meg and Tom

We were happy to help and it was a delight to meet the two of you in the CH and have a natter.

We are now in our rented house in Wellfleet on Cape Cod. We have been here for a week and the weather has been glorious. This is our penultimate day here and we don't want to leave this truly beautiful and magical place.

It is my birthday today ( I am 21 years old ! ) and Min is taking me out to dine at Jimmy's Hideaway in P town this evening . I think one of your recommendations was Blackfish in Truro. If it was....thankyou ! We have dined there on 2 seperate evenings and the seafood was fantastic. Also had fried clams for lunch at Mac's Shack as you suggested !

I will write a full itinerary of our week in Ulster County , New York State and our week here on the Cape when we get back home if anyone is interested.

Flight home is on Wednesday and it looks like it still will be a Dreamliner. Here's hoping !

Frank and Min
#939278 by dickydotcom
25 Oct 2017, 08:03
Roadrunner, thanks for the TR. In Premium we always try and get the rearmost seats in the cabin so we are not reclining on anyone, but also so that we don't have anyone tapping the IFE screen either.

Francis, you are making me very jealous. Is about 20 years since we rented a house in Cape Code but it was a fantastic couple of weeks sampling the many great restaurants and touring all the antique shops.

Dick D
#939279 by Francis007
25 Oct 2017, 12:36
dickydotcom wrote:
Francis, you are making me very jealous. Is about 20 years since we rented a house in Cape Code but it was a fantastic couple of weeks sampling the many great restaurants and touring all the antique shops.

Dick D

Morning DickyD

It is 8 am here on the Cape and the wind is whistling outside and it's tiddling down. We have had a bit of a storm pass through.

This is our last day so we are a bit sad. Intend to depart here at about mid-afternoon to drive back to Boston and hand our rental back to Hertz. Then we can relax in the CH for a couple of hours.

We have rented the same beautiful home in Wellfleet for the last 3 years so you can gather that we quite like it here. If you feel that it's time to return to the Cape after 20 years, please just say and I will IM you the details of this place.

Frank
#939299 by roadrunner
27 Oct 2017, 01:57
Francis007 wrote:Hi Meg and Tom

We were happy to help and it was a delight to meet the two of you in the CH and have a natter.

We are now in our rented house in Wellfleet on Cape Cod. We have been here for a week and the weather has been glorious. This is our penultimate day here and we don't want to leave this truly beautiful and magical place.

It is my birthday today ( I am 21 years old ! ) and Min is taking me out to dine at Jimmy's Hideaway in P town this evening . I think one of your recommendations was Blackfish in Truro. If it was....thankyou ! We have dined there on 2 seperate evenings and the seafood was fantastic. Also had fried clams for lunch at Mac's Shack as you suggested !

I will write a full itinerary of our week in Ulster County , New York State and our week here on the Cape when we get back home if anyone is interested.

Flight home is on Wednesday and it looks like it still will be a Dreamliner. Here's hoping !

Frank and Min

23 October is my 21st birthday as well! Glad you had a lovely holiday-- next year please do look us up on travel from Catskills to Cape. This incredibly gorgeous autumn weather has now turned to a serious nor' easter approaching so making the best of a two day hiatus. Next week--snow.
Virgin Atlantic