Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#939749 by buns
20 Nov 2017, 20:44
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a splendid 10 day is Orlando (where we took the plunge and went for Annual Passes at Universal :blush: ) it was time to return home. As you may have read in my outbound TR, we had opted to upgrade to UC after a disastrous experience on our previous flight to Las Vegas - and I hasten to add - a not so nice note from Crawley Towers telling me that Lifetime Golds are no longer recognised on flights as such. This meant a flight returning via JFK, but this would include a CDC on Mrs Buns' ticket :-D

By way of a prologue, the Delta Flight between MCO and JFK was absolutely splendid! Status recognised at Check in and Mrs B had TSA Pre Check too :-O Indeed TSA was a breeze compared to the evening scrum at MCO, so much so we even had time to pay a visit to the Delta Sky Club - again far more peaceful than in the evenings. As we were flying UC, we were in First and Delta were very strict on the boarding priority - assistance, premium cabin then Delta Status. Another good point was the bins in First Class were clearly marked for First Class Only. A super flight, well looked after with drinks and a nice salmon snack.

We arrived at JFK Terminal 4 just after 2pm at the "B" Gates and as our luggage had been checked through to London, all we had to talk was walk through the Airside section of the Terminal to the JFK Clubhouse :-) :-)

We arrived at the JFK Clubhouse shortly after it opened - it was virtually empty!! To give an idea of how empty it was, I insert an excellent YouTube Vlog here by Spoonfullofsugar21 . We had a pick of the seats, so we plonked ourselves down above what was to be the Departure Gate. For the next three hours we relaxed, drank a little ;-) and of course had the obligatory Clubhouse Burger - to make up for the one we would have had in the Outback Steakhouse in the Terminal at MCO 8-) We saw A340-600 aircraft arriving at the Gate after being towed in from a remote stand.

We departed the Clubhouse shortly before the Flight was called as by this time, the Clubhouse was virtually standing room only! After walking down the flight of stairs we were at the Gate and seeing the last of the assistance passengers being boarded, so within minutes we were on our way towards the aircraft.

It is a long time since I have been on an A340. pleased of course about having "the wall" as I had chosen 9 & 10 A (make not to self 9A does not have a good window view :-( ) but plenty of locker space!! On boarding i noticed they were serving Gardet, so when we were asked for a welcome drink we asked for prosecco, which the Crew were happy to oblige. (I subsequently noticed they also had Canard on board, so obviously VS are still trying to get rid to the Gardet ;-) )

Offered sleep suits, but we declined as both prefer to sleep in the recline mode. It was a completely full flight in UC and in PE too, so with just over 200 on board, I suspect economy had a little space to spare ;-) Fairly quick taxi (by JFK standards that is) and we were airborne. Drinks service commenced pretty quickly and shortly afterwards the FSM announced there was some problem with the IFE and she would re-boot it. This announcement was not to be confused with Mrs Buns trying to get the IFE by touching the screen :-P It does take you back when you do not have a touchscreen!! A little while later the FSM said she was resorting to "Plan B" whereupon i pads were dished out en masse.

Now it being a night flight out of JFK, there was an extensive menu on offer, ranging from "Nightcap and Turndown" through "Quick Bites" to "Supper". I opted for the spinach and broccoli soup, which whilst it tasted nice, I was grateful the lights had been turned off as the colour -WELL :mrgreen: . On offer was "Hawaiian grilled beef" which frankly was worthy of being served at Marlins Holiday Camp :-D :-D

The I Pads distributed meant I was able to watch Despicable Me 3 which I found good but not as good as "2". I did find the Pads to be a bit of a faff and on reflection I wish i had not chosen one for a night flight.

Managed a couple of hours doze before breakfast service came around - usual offerings and plenty of passengers took it as we did.

As we commenced our descent, the I Pads were collected, whereupon there were repeated requests for one that was still missing :-O By the time we landed it was still unaccounted for and I hope it was later found in the bedding that is just stuffed behind the seats rather than being taken.

An early arrival and very quickly through Immigration and our bags were one of the first out, which considering we were on a connecting flight, was a real bonus!

As Mrs Buns was on an "I" Ticket, a Tristar Car had been booked by VS. When we presented ourselves to the VS Limo Desk, they took one look at our luggage and we went home in a Mercedes Van :)

All in All a very good journey, impressed by Delta so much that we may even give them a tryTransatlantic the next time we are routed back via JFK.

Thanks for reading

buns
#939752 by Kraken
20 Nov 2017, 23:33
Another good TR Buns - thanks for putting it together. Sounds like your return journey was pretty good too - fully agree that Airside 4 in Orlando is a different place if you can fly outside of the late-afternoon scrum when all the international flights back to the UK are departing.

Also agree that it does seem odd when you get the "old" non-touch screen IFE system that is rather clunky compared to the touch screens we're used to on the newer aircraft / LGW/MAN fleet. The problem with watching anything on an iPad is that the screen is too reflective (in my opinion).

You made the right choice avoiding the Hawaiian grilled beef - it's vile. If the Hawaiian Tourist Board want to limit the number of visitors to Hawaii, they should get the recipe off Virgins' caterers.
#939757 by Florida White
21 Nov 2017, 02:06
Thanks for a great report sounds better than ours from MCO- JFK- MAN we landed at a different terminal had to get a bus to the terminal for a flight to Manchester were sent to gate B34 to the wrong lounge walked back to A and were too late for food in the lounge so had to settle for a McDonalds. Was a late change of airport we were due into Atlanta until a schedule change.
#939760 by pjh
21 Nov 2017, 04:46
Thanks for the TR and the report of a good flight.

buns wrote:All in All a very good journey, impressed by Delta so much that we may even give them a tryTransatlantic the next time we are routed back via JFK.

I know others have done it as well, but I'll be reporting back in January on our experience of using Delta for our NYC trip over New Year.
#939764 by buns
21 Nov 2017, 06:29
Thanks for the comments

Kraken wrote:You made the right choice avoiding the Hawaiian grilled beef - it's vile. If the Hawaiian Tourist Board want to limit the number of visitors to Hawaii, they should get the recipe off Virgins' caterers.

Yes, we have a duty to warn fellow V Flyers of the terrors of this particualr dish!!

pjh wrote: I know others have done it as well, but I'll be reporting back in January on our experience of using Delta for our NYC trip over New Year.

Look forward to it

Florida White wrote:we were due into Atlanta until a schedule change

I have to say, if given a choice, i would opt for Atlanta again, even though there is no Clubhouse, the connection is far smoother.

buns
#939770 by marshy11
21 Nov 2017, 10:35
Thanks for another great TR. It certainly sounds like you timed the CH well. Are you really blaming Mrs Buns for the amount of luggage?
#939786 by buns
21 Nov 2017, 18:12
marshy11 wrote:Thanks for another great TR. It certainly sounds like you timed the CH well. Are you really blaming Mrs Buns for the amount of luggage?

:) :)
Certainly not! Although purchases for myself only extended to 3 items, the vast majority of the space was utilised for Christmas presents.

buns
#939808 by Trax
22 Nov 2017, 19:12
Cheers Mr Buns, another great report of a nice flight.

What happened with the flights? Where you change to MCA-JFK-LGW because you only upgraded? Or did I miss something?

For V16 coming back we only had one menu choice, as opposed to what sounds like a multitude of selections you had from JFK. The Hawaiian Beef though, I am not sure, but I may have had that on our return flight..... does it come with BBQ type sauce on top, some fruit/veg and dauphinoise potatoes? If so, I quiet enjoyed it.. :-P :)

Then again, it was a after availing myself to several drinks.......

Cheers.
#939811 by buns
22 Nov 2017, 22:10
Trax wrote:Cheers Mr Buns, another great report of a nice flight.

What happened with the flights? Where you change to MCA-JFK-LGW because you only upgraded? Or did I miss something?

Yes, as a result of the upgrade, we had to go back via JFK - as it turned out, made that last day go just that little bit quicker

For V16 coming back we only had one menu choice, as opposed to what sounds like a multitude of selections you had from JFK. The Hawaiian Beef though, I am not sure, but I may have had that on our return flight..... does it come with BBQ type sauce on top, some fruit/veg and dauphinoise potatoes? If so, I quiet enjoyed it.. :-P :)

It just goes to show how there is a difference for the New York flights as of course that is where the competion lay. That said, if only the Hawaiian grilled beef had simply left in New York :-D

Then again, it was a after availing myself to several drinks.......

Cheers.

One of the pleasures of having a car to pick you up I find

Thanks

buns
#939843 by CommanderB
24 Nov 2017, 15:07
Thanks for the TR Buns! An enjoyable read, as always.

I think the only enjoyable thing I found about flying on the 340 recently was the opportunity to grill some of the crew on the differences between that and the 789 to better answer the never ending amount of threads both here and flyertalk asking about equipment changes! :-D
Virgin Atlantic