Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#236930 by Svenska
19 Jul 2005, 17:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My first time on the new suite: Quite an experience!

Arrival
A quick hop on the Heathrow Express, in First Class luxury ([:D]), I should note...thanks to the generousity of Virgin, V-Flyers and the upgrade coupon. The only difference that I could tell was free newspapers/magazines...which does not really matter if going to the CH anyway.

After getting to LHR, up the stairs and lift to check in, where I made my way the the carpets! The usual 'did you pack your bags yourself' (I know this has been discussed in another thread, but it seems quite pointless and perhaps a waste of the airline's thin wallet). Looking over to my left I saw the PE had less of a line than UC...but the wait was not that long; about 6 customers in front in about 5-10 minutes. Although, check-in staff seemed a bit...well...sad, or maybe just tired.

Happily rid of my huge suitcases (they always seem to get bigger after a trip overseas!), I did a quick stop at VAT refunds and customs. Then through Fast Track security, pretty easy, and into the hustling and bustling Terminal 3 airside.

Clubhouse
Now, as I was traveling alone, I already invited any V-Flyer who needed lounge access to tag alone, however, no takers...so...I stood by the Departures board and asked if anyone was on VS11...and sure enough in 5 minutes someone was very happily in tow to the lounge with me (I know I will never even see this person again in my life, I did not ever know their name, however, it is always nice to pass it forward if you have the opportunity to).

I love the new staircase and the lounge couches at the top of the staircase. I also got a peek in through the new doors. As has been previously posted, no way are the 'finished' yet. In addition, I learned that the 'pool' is really a 'pool' to look at and relax by, not an American full size body of water for splashing [:D]

Lounge was very busy and there were many aspects of it I was not impressed by. I had not been there for a year and I had forgotton how much better I liked Arrivals than the Departures CH. First, the bathrooms are in horrible shape...really bad, like Underground station bathrooms bad. Second, there was dirty dishes and unkept areas throughout the CH. It took me a while to find a seat and it was at the bar, where it again took 10+ minutes to get a Ben & Jerry's ice cream and water. However, the staff were in good spirits and that made up for it. One last plus was that I got a couple great pictures of V-FAB which was parking at Gate 20.

Boarding
However, that would not be my last view of V-FAB, as I made my way to VS11, I saw V-FAB was our ride this afternoon! Cool! However, I seemed to be the only one excited, everyone else had either no idea, or could care less.

Boarding was delayed 20 minutes for a mysterious problem with the 'upper class loo' and then when we boarded we were delayed on board for about 50 minutes. This wait was not bad though at all and staff was happy to help in anyway they could. Still, there seemed to be some other underlying problem, as the pilot pointed out: 'these days we can't be too careful with security and we need to check some of the baggage, thanks for your understanding.' It seemed a bit funny...especially because when we landed Passport Control was right outside of the V-FAB's door checking passports?

Anyhow, wheels up at 3:45, so 1:15 hours late, not too bad! Now comes the HIGHLIGHT of the flight. First, the suite was amazing, in really good condition too. But even better was the service team!!! One in particular made a great effort to accomodate several bantering travelers. It seemed as if three babies had been on board and...there was no seat or sky cot for them. Ahh...three babies in UC...that is somewhat ridiculous if you ask me. I was in 17K and I offered to move my 1-month old pre-selected seat to calm things down. I moved one row back, just as happy to be one row away from the bickering family and settled down in my suite.

((Quick side point: is it just me, or does LHR have a bias against VS? It seems like BA planes take-off and land in a quicker fashion. I realize BA of course has a bigger fleet and more destinations, but it seems like VS is always the one who waits and BA planes get to go the the 'Members Only' line.))

Flight
Once in the air, staff was really helpful. I cannot stress this enough, because this is what made the flight spectacular. After a quick episode of the American version of the Office (which I found quite funny), it was lunch time. I liked the Risotto...the cherry tomatoes were quite good, and the passion fruit tart was a hit too.

Then time to experience V-Port. My first time with this as well. I played chess against the seat across from me...and lost [^] And then time for a dumb, non-thinking Hollywood blockbuster...Sahara fit the bill and though chessy, was entertaining.

My usual tour of the plane brought me to the back and up to the bump of the 747 as well. And then back to the bar for a quick chat with some VS Staff. As I am sure most of you have experienced, this is something that truly distinguishes VS over many other airlines.

Landing about 45 minutes late, so we made up some time over the very smooth flight. Quick to get my bags and through customs as well (besides the strange doorside V-FAB passport check).

Final Impression
Overall it was a great experience, with certain members of the VS Staff making it truly brilliant. Though late, it was a quick flight and the suite (+ V-Port) is certainly something to embrace!

I cannot wait for my next flight, even though it won't be in UC unfortunately. Thanks for your comments and posts, I hope you enjoy...it is my first Trip Report, so be gentle [;)]
#304943 by Svenska
19 Jul 2005, 17:50
PICTURES TO COME TOO!!!
#304944 by fozzyo
19 Jul 2005, 17:55
Excellent TR Scenska. Thanks for sharing with us. Pictures always a welcome addition. [;)]

Really good to see that VS still have the buzz and quality where it counts - for the pax in the air.

Foz xxx
#304979 by Dave Adkins
19 Jul 2005, 21:18
Great TR[y] I must agree with you I too think there may be a bias towards BA at LHR (not necessarily deliberate[V])but they do seem to get preference.
#304982 by Nottingham Nick
19 Jul 2005, 21:31
Thanks Svenska, great TR [y][y]

Glad you had a good trip.

Did your guest, who had an unexpected CH experience, make any comment about the facilities / food in there ?

Nick
#304985 by Svenska
19 Jul 2005, 21:46
I am not really sure, as once we got in the CH she went her separate ways, however, from the first impression it was: 'so this is how the other side (of the plane!) lives.'

I think that is the impression that everyone has when they first walk in and then we become used to it, and then picky, and then start to complain [;)]

Thanks for the comments guys!
#304990 by mike-smashing
19 Jul 2005, 22:21
Nice TR. I found my last VS11 experience (in PE) equally as excellent, I have to say

You're totally right about the crew, of course, they make a good VS flight great. They really are an amazing asset, and you have to go a long way to find similar...

You liked the risotto too? Maybe we should have you preserved? [;)]

Cheers,
Mike
#304997 by Richard28
19 Jul 2005, 22:46
thanks for the TR!

I dont think BA have priority, last time I went to SFO we seemed to 'jump' two BA 744's, and we hardly even stopped during taxi!

Indeed on 'airline' last week it transpired that even the Queen does not normally get priority at LHR - her Canadian Airbus for that flight had to wait about 20 mins to even start taxi!
#305020 by BransonDisciple
20 Jul 2005, 03:24
Svenska that was a really BRILLIANT thing for you to do -- inviting someone to the lounge like that. Good on you!!! A glimmer of hope in a selfish world, I should think.

I usuall take my friend David to the CH at SFO because I always have a couple hours to kill between arriving from SEA and departing on VS, so he lets me come to his house by the airport and sit by the pool for awhile...always a great start to a vacation and surely worth a few free drinks at the CH! [:D]

Thanks for the great TR and may you always have a wonderful time flying.

BD
#305048 by Littlejohn
20 Jul 2005, 10:22
Originally posted by Svenska

I think that is the impression that everyone has when they first walk in and then we become used to it, and then picky, and then start to complain [;)]

Wise words, and worth remembering. I certainly find myself becoming blase about the little things, and stop noticing them. But my annual holiday trip in Y with some other airline usually reminds me of what is what!

#305128 by Richard28
20 Jul 2005, 18:11
Originally posted by BransonDisciple
Svenska that was a really BRILLIANT thing for you to do -- inviting someone to the lounge like that. Good on you!!! A glimmer of hope in a selfish world, I should think.

I echo that!

Very kind of you sir - you've now been added to my respect list!
#305163 by mike-smashing
20 Jul 2005, 21:51
Originally posted by Svenska
I love the new staircase and the lounge couches at the top of the staircase. I also got a peek in through the new doors. As has been previously posted, no way are the 'finished' yet. In addition, I learned that the 'pool' is really a 'pool' to look at and relax by, not an American full size body of water for splashing [:D]

Lufthansa have had one of these in the Schengen/Domestic (G gates) Senator Lounge at MUC, since the new terminal opened a couple of years ago.

As long as they are serviced properly and dosed up with the right chemicals to stop the water going mangy, they are really quite nice. I wonder if they built it with an infinity effect edging? That would look so cool! [:D]

I also read something scary in the website blurb about the new Clubhouse...

'You can enjoy everything from a cooked breakfast or bangers and mash....'

Aaaaaaaa.... [:0]

Mike, beginning to wonder if SRB owns a stake in a sausage factory...
#305179 by Svenska
21 Jul 2005, 00:24
Why do they have it...bangers and mash...even the title sounds very unappealing.
#305182 by ChuckC
21 Jul 2005, 02:02
Svenska,

Wonderful TR and I am so very glad that you not only enjoyed the Suite but that you experienced the kind of service VS is capable of, distinguishing itself from the competition.

If there was a VFlyer Hero Award, I would be obliged to nominate you for your entirely selfless act of sharing your CH access.[y][y]

Thanks again. You made me feel terrific!

Regards,
Chuck-
#305691 by VS045
25 Jul 2005, 10:23
Great TR, Svenska!!![:D][:D]

I think the VS011 is way too short a flight to sample UCS.

Cheers,
VS045
#305757 by Svenska
25 Jul 2005, 17:33
I know...I agree about the time of the flight too! I think that I need to take the flight to Toyko...or Sydney to truly experience it!!
#305762 by HighFlyer
25 Jul 2005, 17:51
Great TR Svenska [:)]

Glad to hear all was good on the flight, and again, how generous you were to invite someone to the Clubhouse!

So have you booked your next suite flight then?? [:D]
#305773 by VS045
25 Jul 2005, 19:23
I know...I agree about the time of the flight too! I think that I need to take the flight to Toyko...or Sydney to truly experience it!!

Yup, I think the SYD flight would give you plenty of time!!!![:D]

Cheers,
VS045
#306535 by mitchja
31 Jul 2005, 14:06
Excellent TR thanks Svenska [:)]

Roll on the new LHR CH that's all I can say!!! After experiencing the LGW, SFO and IAD CH's, the old LHR CH never really did it for me.

Regards
#306547 by NYCFlyer
31 Jul 2005, 15:24
I am intrigued how did you manage to get a guest into the CH? I know that Au holders can do this but is there any other way of having a non J pax invited in?

Graham
#306552 by Svenska
31 Jul 2005, 16:00
Well since I was in Upper, I guess you can invite another VS flyer into the lounge. And that's what I did! Good deed for the day [:)]
#306589 by NYCFlyer
31 Jul 2005, 22:15
Thanks Svenska,

I guess on that basis as I am going UCS to SFO 'homme seul' in September I might try the same!
#310121 by bostonbrit
29 Aug 2005, 21:08
Originally posted by VS045
Great TR, Svenska!!![:D][:D]

I think the VS011 is way too short a flight to sample UCS.

Cheers,
VS045

On VS11 / VS12, you just need to be happy to get the UCS. Miss Piggy can still be found quite often!
#310131 by JO5H777
29 Aug 2005, 22:20
fantastic TR especially for a first. upper class is obviously amazing however i would personally fly PE for daytime flights and upper class on night time flights.
Virgin Atlantic