Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#236934 by Richard28
19 Jul 2005, 23:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
A quick trip report on my recent flight to Sin City.

It was the first time I had gone direct - normally I route through LAX or SFO, and because of the size of my companions wallets & purses we all sat in Y class for this flight.

Check In

Oh the Joy of Silver!

The Y class queue was very big - my friends who checked in later took 1 hour 15 minutes to get through.

Fortunately for me and one other we were of course able to use the PE queue which took less than 5 minutes.

Would get an excellent rating, but for the queue my firends had to endure!

Boarding/flight

Boarding was pretty much on time, and as we were sitting near the very back of the plane (which I pre-booked), we were soon on.

Seat 62K was mine for this flight, which is at the back end (2-4-2) , and had some nice room to the side for bags.

Seat pitch did seem smaller than last time I flew in Y class (on that occassion an A343), and a word of warning, seat 62H has a small IFE box underneath the seat in front (we were on G-VGAL) - I'll put a note on the seat ratings.

IFE of course was Nova for this trip, which was working fine!
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1228.jpg[/img]

There were some excellent views of Salt Lake City area, which I've missed on recent flights
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1229.jpg[/img]

Service on flight was a drink service followed by food service, followed by a snack (chicken or cheese panini) and finally sandwiches before landing

Food was fine on this flight, and portions were generous.

Service was pretty good on the flight, with plenty of water/juice rounds, and I was always asked for a re-fill of tea/coffee.

By the way FSM did not introduce themselves on outbound or inbound - do they try and see Silvers in Y class?

Landing was smooth - I do enjoy LAS - due to the parallel runways a Southwest 737 was taking off side-by-side as we landed - great views!

Being at the back of the plane we were almost last off, and off to the joy of immigration. The queue was not as bad as I've had in MCO/SFO, but still not very good.

However, on the positive side the immigration officer was great fun (which was a first) and wound me up about my criminal activity whilst her computer was processing pictures/finger prints - I almost fell for it until she smiled a big smile!

They also put a family with two young children to the front of the queue after about 20 minutes queueing - which was very good of them - the children were behaving well - but were tired.

I'll leave you with some pics of Vegas. We stayed at New York New York this year, which is nowhere near as nice as the MGM across the road.
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1230.jpg[/img]
It has a very small pool, with the occassional wiff of sewage in the air [:0]

and some pics from our helicopter trip on 'sundance helicopters' to the Grand Canyon - excellent fun!
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1231.jpg[/img]
Excellent views from helicopter of the strip
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1232.jpg[/img]
and the airport
[img]http://virginflyer.com/photos/1233.jpg[/img]

The rest of Vegas is a poker/roulette/blackjack/jack daniels blur!

Hope you enjoyed!

Rich.
#305045 by rachie
20 Jul 2005, 10:18
Fantastic report
#305062 by iforres1
20 Jul 2005, 11:37
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the excellent TR. Just wetted my appetite for our jolly in Nov. Thanks also for the pics[y]

Iain
#305079 by jaguarpig
20 Jul 2005, 13:26
Thanks for the report must get back to LV not been for many years,Don't think the gaffer comes to see the AGs down the back or the Aus for that matter.
#305105 by slinky09
20 Jul 2005, 16:47
Great TR - also wetted my apetite for trip to LV late-September.

Also flying through LAX, did you then drive or connect by air?

Can you comment on the Sundance helicopters ... the no.1 and I planning similar and have one recommendation but would appreciate any comments on those people?

Thank
#305135 by Scrooge
20 Jul 2005, 19:13
Great TR,hope you had fun here.

I've used Sundance and can highly recommend them
#305176 by Richard28
20 Jul 2005, 22:34
Thanks for the feedback jetwet1, slinky09, jaguarpig, iforres1 and rachie!

Slinky09

This trip we went direct to LAS. Last time I connected at LAX we flew with HP to LAS (with no stopover in Los Angeles).

This is simpler to do - as baggage can be ticketed straight through on the same ticket (albeit you need to use a bag drop facility in LAX)- and ensures end to end airline responsibilty for you in case of delays.

As for Grand Canyon trip / Sundance - can't fault them, as Jetwet1 says, I too can highly reconmend them.

I've also done the same trip with Papillon helicopters. The trip is almost exactly the same (same route via Hoover Dam), but given the choice I'd do sunsance again because a) they have a better landing position in the Canyon b) Limo pick up from hotel (papillon has minibus)!

Sundance helicopters also park straight outside their terminal building, but bus transfers are required with Papillon - so you see the helicopters come in and land whilst you wait.

If you want any more specific info on either company then please just ask!

Jaguarpig

Fare enough - I wouldn't expect them to really - but thought I read somewhere that they try and see Ag's and Au's wherever they sat - maybe I'm mistaken!

Thanks again folks - glad I've whetted your appetite!
#305183 by ChuckC
21 Jul 2005, 02:07
Thanks, Rich. Haven't had too many reports lately on LAS trips, plus we don't see many about coach experience.

And the pictures you show are not only whetting my appetite, they are very good pictures! Well done.

Regards,
Chuck-
#305445 by Richard28
22 Jul 2005, 19:09
Originally posted by ChuckC
Thanks, Rich. Haven't had too many reports lately on LAS trips, plus we don't see many about coach experience.

And the pictures you show are not only whetting my appetite, they are very good pictures! Well done.

Regards,
Chuck-

thank you very much [:)]
#305535 by HighFlyer
23 Jul 2005, 19:23
Great TR

Reading it reminds me why i love Vegas so much ... and why i need to return!! Glad you had a good time!!
#307310 by chris78cpr
05 Aug 2005, 21:10
Very good TR mate, am glad you had a good time in the desert!

Whenever i fly the 744 in eco i always try and get those 2 at the back or the exit rows. The first row of 2 are particuly nice as you have somewhere to store most of your stuff mid flight, i ususally have a camera bag under the seat so that extra room is very helpful!

Cheers, Chris
#307317 by buns
05 Aug 2005, 21:21
Richard

Thanks for the TR, that contains some v.useful tips[y][y]

The pics of your helicopter flight are certainly wetting my appetite for the next social[:D][:D]

all the best

buns
#307333 by Richard28
05 Aug 2005, 22:56
Thanks Chris - I have admired many of your TR's over on a.net (you do seem to get around a bit on VS!) - glad you enjoyed one of mine!

buns - yeah, Vegas is just special isnt it! I cant make the social unfortunately, but I've been twice to the Canyon now (& Vegas 4 times!), and it is just fantastic - I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

If you go to the canyon - Sundance were the (slightly) better of the helicopter tours (have also gone on Pappilon.) - have fun!

Rich [:)]
#307587 by Gav
08 Aug 2005, 12:39
Good trip report, I've just returned from my summer jaunt to LV and NYC routing VS043(Y) - DL2093(Y) - VS046(W). Stayed at Bellagio in LV, fantastic hotel. Went to Grand Canyon with Maverick Helicopters.

DL2093 was a Song flight cost £65 for the overnight flight, but was good service for a low cost airline.

Will try and do a better trip report later.
#307604 by Jonathan
08 Aug 2005, 15:17
Good to see a Y report (most seem to be W or J)
[:D]
Virgin Atlantic