Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237019 by HighFlyer
24 Jul 2005, 23:26
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
WARNING - Long - with Pics!

Friday 22nd July 2005
VS020 SFO LHR
Seats 8 & 9 K UCS
Aircraft G-VHOT Tubular Belle

This flight was our flight home, having been travelling round the world on a Great Escapade for the past month, so neither myself or the other half were looking forward to it that much as it meant the end of the trip. We had a car booked from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel to take us to the airport, and we arrived about 2.15pm.

Check-in

There wasnt a queue for Upper or Premium, but quite a snake for Economy. I felt the glare from a few of them as we walked right up to the check-in counter!

Luz was at check-in (wearing her V-Flyer lapel pin BTW!), and she was having real technical difficulties with the boarding pass printer. She had almost finished handwriting them out when it finally kicked into life. We got our requested 8 & 9K and headed for the Clubhouse, which is before departures, something I always find strange!!

Clubhouse

We were welcomed in, grabbed a seat by the bar and had a few glasses of bubbly. (No Claire for anybody interested). The Clubhouse was quite busy so I gathered it would be a full flight. The other half ordered a Club Sandwich and polished that off as I was desperately craning my neck to look out the window in an attempt to see which aircraft we had (gosh Im such a nerd!). There was a call over the tannoy to announce that the British Newspapers were in! Great touch! Half of the passengers lunged forward to grab one as they were handed out! After an hour or so of gluttony in the Clubhouse (they had these yummy little cake things on the bar that were freshly cooked) we moved to departures where I routinely set off the alarm of the metal detector and had probably the most thorough body search to date! Oh joy!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1262.jpg[/img]

We walked to gate A8 and saw Tubular Belle sitting there waiting for us.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1266.jpg[/img]

Boarding

Preboarding was scheduled to start at 15.40 but was a little late. No sooner had we heard Virgin Atlantic would like to and around twelve UC passengers were charging towards the gate to be first on (complete with waving boarding passes in the air). In times like that you dont know whether to join them or wait? We chose the first. The gate staff were nice as pie and pointed the way to the separate boarding lane for UC/PE pax.

Inflight

I settled into 8K with the other half in 9K. Had another glass of bubbly while we were boarding and waited for someone to take our jackets. I had a quick peek at the menu, which was full of old favourites (Caesar Salad or Tomato Bisque for starter, and Steak, Chicken and rice or Mushroom Wellington for main) I wasnt overly amazed with the choices but I wasnt that hungry so couldnt complain. I got comfy in my seat and the IFBT introduced herself. At this point she got chatting to the guy next to me in 7K and gave him a few priority cards. Not sure if she knew him from another flight or something? We also gave our orders for post take-off drinks. Dare I have another bubbly I thought? Then thought what the hell!

The Captain came on and announced our flight time of 9hrs and 25mins. Im sure Economy were cheering at that but I had a different sensation I worried that I wouldnt have enough time to enjoy the Suite!! A mere 9 hours!! Pah!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1263.jpg[/img]

We pushed back a mere ten minutes behind schedule and we were in the air, with spectacular views of the Bay and the Bridges as we left. I waved goodbye to San Francisco, a city that has captured my heart and already made me plan a return trip. Anyone who has not been to San Fran, I urge you to go, its a great place.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1265.jpg[/img]

The FSM looked briefly around the cabin but made no personal introductions or knew any names. We were then informed that there were two FSM on board the flight (only one in a Black shirt though) Anybody hedge bets on the reason for this?

The IFBT seemed to be acting more like cabin crew on this flight, she handed out amenity kits and took our jackets, as well as assisting in the galley, is this usual? (she was also saying thanks and goodbye to passengers at the door when we left)

We were all given Carlos on this flight, which was absent from my VS200, and the SkyMap was working !! Hurrah!!!!

Our post take off drinks were delivered (and downed) and partner and I headed off to the bar where we chatted to a group of travelling businessmen. I was talking to the other half about the plans to change the PE seating to leather when one of the guys started talking to me. He said he flew Virgin a lot and was telling me about the radical bar design on the plane they use for Sydney where the bar stools are very low and almost on the floor? Not sure if it was more him that was almost on the floor during that experience? I had been on that very flight less than 4 weeks ago and didnt quite see what he saw although he was gladly refilling his glass himself at the bar so im sure he saw lots of unusual things LOL

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1264.jpg[/img]

We were found at the bar by one of the crew who took our orders for dinner. I ordered the tomato bisque (or soup to me LOL) and passed on the main course in favour of the cheeseboard. The Buttermilk Blue they serve is truly lovely and I must get some for home. Dinner was served almost as soon as possible (in keeping with the Good Night Flight idea I feel) so we left the bar to eat, but with a 16.30 departure time I felt it was a little too early for me to eat a full four courses. I know I could have asked to have the meal later but I wanted to eat with my other half and I guess it saves my waistline!

I watched Oceans 12 with dinner which was a bit of a disappointment as a sequel, and then settled down with a few episodes of the Simpsons and Friends. I changed into my sleepsuit, brushed my teeth and tried to get some sleep.

I found it really hard to sleep this time as I was so hot! I have heard many of you say this so I know its not just me, but I felt suffocated in my suite through lack of air. I changed my sleepsuit top to a vest top I had with me and felt much cooler shame you guys dont have a similar easy option. (why am I now seeing 30 Rab C Nesbitts in the suites LOL) I put the air blower on max and after listening to my iPod for about an hour I finally got a little sleep. (albeit hampered by two loudly talking business travellers obviously on a company jolly the crew asked them to go to the bar as they were really loud and quite sizzled)

I felt I had slept for around an hour when I was woken up for breakfast! (Darn watching Simpsons for 3 hours LOL) I had ordered Cereal and Croissants which were delivered to me at exactly 90mins to landing. My bed wouldnt quite go back to a seat, so it was given a harsh yank by a crew member. I did feel that breakfast was almost pushed on me, so next time I dont think I will fill out the card and leave it to chance. I asked for a Cappuchino but didnt get one which was a shame. Id had one on the VS200 and it was lurvely!!

After scoffing breakfast and changing back to regular clothes we were making our descent. Id missed the massage on this flight again. I was only asleep briefly but I wasnt given a card. If anybody knows the passenger selection process used by IFBT id be interested to hear it I cant think how they prioritise and choose.

Landing

We arrived 10mins early to LHR but there were no free gates so had to wait anyway.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1267.jpg[/img]

Once we had cleared customs (and been welcomed home by the immigration guys) we met our luggage coming off the belt which happened to be second off! We met our lift in Arrivals and had a good run home from Heathrow. An hour later I was at home and unpacking.

Overall, a good flight but nothing outstanding. I felt that the crew, while being polite and helpful, were not their usual cheery selves. There wasnt anything special on this flight or anything that stuck out. I only saw one water/juice round on the flight, no bottles of water were handed out, no personal introductions and I wasnt called by my name. There was a real lack of laughter from the crew also, so I hope there wasnt anything up? The Virgin sense of fun seemed absent.

The UCS is incredible, the best bed I have tried in the air, and I think its hard to beat. My next UCS flight isnt until Xmas (next off in/out in PE) so I will look forward to that greatly!!
#305658 by willd
24 Jul 2005, 23:29
you really do spoil us! yet another super tr!
#305661 by preiffer
24 Jul 2005, 23:32
Originally posted by willd
you really do spoil us! yet another super tr!
Just unfortunate that it doesn't sound like the crew particularly spoilt the passengers on this one...
#305663 by Milliemoo
24 Jul 2005, 23:38
OK, I'm going to get quite repetative here....Fantastic TR! [:D]

One question though.....No Revivals ??

Milliemoo
#305666 by honey lamb
24 Jul 2005, 23:44
Great TR

It's amazing, isn't it, how different the cabin crew can be. They can make the difference between a good flight and an exceptional one. It's so disappointing when the return flight doesn't come up to expectations
#305667 by seany
24 Jul 2005, 23:45
Thanks for the TR

Originally posted by HighFlyer
I felt that the crew, while being polite and helpful, were not their usual cheery selves. There wasn't anything special on this flight or anything that stuck out. I only saw one 'water/juice' round on the flight, no bottles of water were handed out, no personal introductions and I wasn't called by my name. There was a real lack of laughter from the crew also, so I hope there wasn't anything up? The 'Virgin' sense of fun seemed absent.

It's a real shame when that happens (always happens on the return leg), I suppose it's better for it to happen when you are just as sad coming home from your hols [;)].
#305673 by Richard28
25 Jul 2005, 00:10
Thanks again Sarah - its been over a year since I was last in SFO - lovely chilled out city - I must go back soon!

Did you see the Seals? [:)]

I've no idea how the IFBT prioritise the massages - I've been lucky in the past and have never missed out.

One thing that seems to help is not eating straight away, and you will receive your treatment whilst over pax are eating.

Seems like you had a wonderful time - what was your complete itinery? We know you started off LHR-HKG but what 11 flights connected you from HKG to SFO?
#305687 by iforres1
25 Jul 2005, 09:52
HighFlyer,

Thanks for the TR and Pics. Glad you made it round the world safe and sound, but all good things come to an end unfortunately, or at least until the next one starts[:D].

Looking forward to visiting SFO in Nov.

Iain
#305692 by fozzyo
25 Jul 2005, 10:25
Fabulous TR!

Really pleased you loved SF - its such a beautiful city, just too many hills for my liking! Dean and I are back there at the end of September.

Foz xxx
#305913 by slinky09
26 Jul 2005, 14:56
For those of us still bad enough to enjoy a smoke it's nice to have the club house before security like at Newark ... haven't been to SFO for four years ([:(]) - is it before security there?
#305916 by HighFlyer
26 Jul 2005, 15:08
Thanks guys!

is it before security there?

Yes it is, so no worries on the coffin nails there! [;)]

We know you started off LHR-HKG but what 11 flights connected you from HKG to SFO?

My complete itinerary was: LHR-HKG-SIN-BKK-KUL-SIN-SYD-AYQ-CNS-SYD-AKL-LAX-SFO-LHR Phew!!

Lots and lots of flights, going through SIN and SYD twice just for routing reasons and connections. I put a piece up in the travel forum about my GE for anyone interested.
#305981 by Scrooge
26 Jul 2005, 23:47
Sarah said 'we moved to departures where I routinely set off the alarm of the metal detector and had probably the most thorough body search to date!'

plus this Click link = go figure [:D]

Edit to shorten link...........Nick

thanks Nick couldn't figure out how to do that
#306016 by HighFlyer
27 Jul 2005, 10:14
Sarah said 'we moved to departures where I routinely set off the alarm of the metal detector and had probably the most thorough body search to date!'

plus this Click link = go figure

Hahahaha LOL [:D][:D]
#306046 by Vslf
27 Jul 2005, 15:15
HF,

Excellent trip report, sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Couldn't agree more with you about San Francisco, it's a wonderful city. We spent our honeymoon there, and are having another week over there in October, i can't wait.

Vslf
#306049 by ChuckC
27 Jul 2005, 15:36
Sarah,
Tremendously good TR. You have the writer's pen, that's surely true.

Glad that you enjoyed your trip and thanks for sharing the flight home with us.

Regards,
Chuck-
#306195 by Littlejohn
28 Jul 2005, 14:07
Great TR

The image you painted of 30 Rab C's in UCS still has me giggling.

#306350 by AndyR
29 Jul 2005, 12:09
Sounds like a great trip. My g/f and I are doing LHR-LAX-SFO-LHR road trip in September but Economy both ways.

How do you manange to afford to go upper class? [:0]
#306380 by HighFlyer
29 Jul 2005, 18:11
How do you manange to afford to go upper class? [:0]

Simply put ... we dont!

This trip was part of the Great Escapade round the world ticket, so we got an all business class ticket, allowing us to stop in so many countries for a fraction of the price it would cost to buy all flights seperately.

Im booked on another UC flight in December, but thats thanks to Flying Club miles, and aimilarly will be for any other UC trips i do. This flight was only my second suite flight (first was my outbound leg) im usually relegated to PE!! [:D]

Most of us on here who travel in some luxury (PE/UC) usually put it down to a combination of hard saving, credit card maxing and air miles spending!!
#306389 by Richard28
29 Jul 2005, 18:59
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Most of us on here who travel in some luxury (PE/UC) usually put it down to a combination of hard saving, credit card maxing and air miles spending!!

and robbing banks.

Oops - shouldn't have let that one out of the bag [:p]
#306395 by Scrooge
29 Jul 2005, 19:54
Just how many miles did you end up earning from this trip?
Virgin Atlantic