Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237289 by Tigger
09 Aug 2005, 02:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
How exciting! This is my first trip report! Have to say first of all, that I'm a huge SQ fan and I was persuaded by a friend to try Upper Class to New York. So I did.

My Upper Class ticket was the cheap type, so it didn't come with the limo. No matter, I arrived at Heathrow in good time and checked in without hassle. I got my seat (3K - thanks to this website for the recommendations!!) and proceeded to the lounge. Very impressive marble staircase.

First impressions, it was warm and very noisy. I guess I was more used to the SQ lounges which exuded more quiet calmness than a vibrant cluhouse. I had a few hours before the flight so I thought I'd get a haircut. It was the worse haircut - ever. The lady cutting my hair was more concerned about getting it done than getting it right. It was completely uneven, and when I pointed this out to her, she responded by telling me that the unevenness was due to my Asian hair than her skill with the scissors. And that 'everybody works differently'. What a lousy attitude. I of course insisted that she got it right. She finally did, although it was still so bad that as soon as my hair got long enough to cut again (when I was in Miami) I got it cut right again. Suffice to say I'd NEVER use the Virgin clubhouse again for a haircut. I appreciate that Virgin probably contracts that part of the service out, but they should at least hire poeple who were competent or at least polite if they mess up.

The rest of the lounge experience was great. I had a nice light meal and my shoes shined. Cool!

The aircraft was an A340-600. Nice! And the seats I have to say, are GREAT. I love the large tables and the number of litle pockets you can stick your things into without losing them. DEFINITELY better than the SQ Raffles class seats which collapses into a flat bed, but at an angle, which makes it uncomfortable to sleep on. The UCSs were very comfortable, if a bit hard on the bed side.

On board service. VS advertises a 'freedom' menu - eat what you want when you want. Not really accurate is it? You can't eat anytime because I asked - you eat when they come round and take your order and serve it. That's okay as long as its advertised as such. On SQ, you REALLY get to eat when you want, and you get to pre order your food (on Raffles and First) from a list before you board. Also, the forgot my dessert. Hmmmm.....

I'm pretty used to a particular type of service, and that's a more formal, defferential attitude - SQ - typical. I was told that VS had a more informal service attitude. That sounded just fine. But, hands on hips teapot style, gum in mouth, chewing whilst talking to UC passengers 'y'allright there' just doesn't cut it on Upper Class I think, no matter how informal.

In all, my first Upper Class experience was good. It was certainly different! But I am looking forward to my RTW on great escapades. I'm quite peeved they withdrew the First Class Escapades. I was quite looking forward to travelling on SQ First!
#307715 by HighFlyer
09 Aug 2005, 10:17
Nice fair Trip Report. [:D]

I do think that SQ are up there at number 1 in terms of service, i dont think many airlines can beat them in that respect.
#307769 by buns
09 Aug 2005, 20:55
Hi Tigger

Thanks for a a very good inaugural TR[y][y]

As highflyer says, when comparing with SQ, anything is likely to come off second best[:D]

That said, it is clear that the suite proved to be a hit[y].

all the best

buns
#307792 by mitchja
09 Aug 2005, 22:22
Good TR thanks but sorry I have to partly dis-agree with what has been said so far about SQ. Yes they are good but no better than VS IMHO.

OK I've only done short trips in F and 2 x 5 Hr overnight flights in J on SQ and yes the service was good throughout but I've had better service in J on VS.

I'm not dissing SQ at all but still seem not to be able to see what other people see with SQ, maybe that's just me though.

I personally think it's was the A/C that let SQ down for me. The 6 SQ A/C I have flown on (all 777's) all had dull and dated F or J cabins (2 flights had the transformers and the rest were the old style J seats). Their livery is also looking very dated now as well.

There wasn't that wow factor on any of the flights like I got when I boared a VS A346 for the first time.

Regards
#307823 by daisy
10 Aug 2005, 12:02
An interesting trip report Ð many thanks!

Shame about the clubhouse treatment Ð that was poor service. But you've got me worried as I've got a hair appointment booked in the NEW clubhouse at the end of the month - perhaps I'll change it for a manicure. I've booked the OH a ÒRhinestone CowboyÓ treatment too Ð we'll have to see how that goesÉI thought the Clubhouse was very noisy on my first visit Ð perhaps I should be more forgiving and call it ÒvibrantÓ too!

I never felt that I couldn't eat when I wanted to Ð I did think it was a ÒfreedomÓ menu. Were you actually refused the chance to eat later than suggested?

I confess that sometimes the informality of the crew does remind me that I'm basically a bit reserved Ð which is perhaps why I like the service on BA a little more. I prefer a slightly more formal (professional?) approach. But it does vary from crew to crew so that isn't a Òthey're all the sameÓ comment.

Haven't been on SQ so cannot comment but glad you enjoyed your flight overall!

D
Virgin Atlantic