Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237309 by ade99
10 Aug 2005, 12:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Coming home from the hols landed at terminal 7 on a Ted flight from Vegas. (For what I have come under great fire from on flyertalk - all I asked was what's the point? We only have one class on most of our domestics so why not just have UA single class flights? Our cousins over the pond don't like that idea and I even got accused of being on a posting rampage to boost my post!)

Anyway arrived at T7 and realised the only way to get to terminal 2 was on a bus outside in the 'blue zone' So we headed out past the yellow, white and red zones and waited for a good 30 minutes before a bus came along. Got to terminal 2 and was too early for check-in. Had to wait about 90 minutes before they opened. Now if this was most other airports it would be ok, but terminal 2 has absolutely nothing but check-in desks before security. (I wonder if the boredom of no cheap coffee and snacks for 90 minutes was the reason so many FFers love UA and hate Ted)

So check-in guys gradually stroll in, then have five minutes laughing at the two old ladies who had decided to take up position at the security podiums for their lunch including cling-film sandwiches.

Nine of us checked in, two were flying on the latter flight in PE and were going to join us in the lounge until we left (I confirmed at check-in that it was OK for guests and naturally was told yes)

Went upstairs to security, joined the line and then our boarding passes were seen so we were called over to their crew/fastrack line (although no obvious fastrack sign). Made our way to the upper level and to the Maple Leaf lounge, now I don't know about other people but it always worries me when you have to ring a doorbell to get into a lounge. So we arrive in the lounge and tell the man behind the desk that seven of us are upper and we have two guests. Not allowed. Sorry? If virgin would be allowing us guests then they would have written +x on the lounge invites apparently. I explained to him that the lady at check-in had said it was allowed and I was informed that he was Air Canada and nothing to do with VS[:(!] So I ask for him to call down to VS, he says he can't he's busy. So I ask if I can speak to the VS rep in the lounge - not here yet. When will he be here? Don't know. So when he realised I and the other eight were willing to wait in his little entrance hall he decided to call down to VS....They just put the phone down on him. Now I was getting a little bit upset now, so decided to do something a little bit dishonest and I hope you will all forgive me. We still had four of the invites in our hand so I got a pen and added +1 to two of them. Gave him the other four and he smuggly informed me that the two with +1 were the official way and he would allow us and our guests entry now.

So I quietly bit my lip and went into the lounge/living room. Now it has been expressed before but I will echo it. This is probably the worst lounge VS uses (I use to think it was the MCO delta one but at least you have a nice bar with on tap beer, oh and space to actually sit down) We mingled with the other people using the lounge until a few left and we scrambled for their seats. After about 30 minutes the VS rep decides to turn up. So we order some food which comes up a short while later. Caesar salad was ok as was the egg sandwich. Now I have a question if they really are going to be using the 'Good Night Service' on the later flight and given that both flights will soon be 600s then they really need to sort something better our, cos I would not be happy on the later flight out of LAX with a cold or hot tray on the flight and just an egg sandwich or salad. Has anyone been on the later flight yet, are they really offering the Good Night Service with just that as food?

Anyway we waste another hour or so in the lounge, decide to have a glass of bubbly each which I go and get for everyone and then get attacked by a woman who wants to know what's happened to the champagne? Well I used it all, I'm sure they will bring another one out. 'Well I hope so' she says. Nice!

Anyway about ten minutes before we are due to board in walks Robbie Williams and a couple of his groupies, I mean friends. Oh I hope they're not upstairs with us I think. Then he realised there are not enough seats so decided to sit in a corner on the floor[:D] should have got there earlier I guess.

So we're called about five minutes before the plan is due to leave. Walk to the gate and try to struggle through the masses and up to the separate entrance. Grab our duty free and join the line to get on the plane. Just in front of us is Robbie complaining that he is downstairs again and asking if he could be upstairs, sorry Robbie should have reserved your seats I guess.

Get upstairs and dump the roll-on at the top of the stairs it never fits, in fact I'm finding it difficult to find a bag that does fit in the upstairs lockers. Sit down and instantly get a glass of bubbly and am welcome on board by our 'dedicated cabin crew'. Now that is a first for us, she was lovely took her time to sit down and ask us about our holiday and everything, nothing was too much and she was always polite a refreshing change from the Ted FAs.

So after take-off she comes around and takes our drinks order and the come back to us one by one feeling very personal. Then she takes our dinner orders, we first opted for the duck, and she looked surprised and said were we sure we didn't want the steak? She said it was very nice and although we have not had very good experiences with VS steaks we thought, what the hell try it then. Dinner came up quite quickly salad to start then the steak. Was actually surprised steak was cooked nicely, pink in the middle and generally tasty. She returned and asked if the steak was good and we told her she was right it was good. She then looked disappointed when we told her that the continental ribeye was better [:0]

After dinner four of us went downstairs for a drink, before we went down she asked if we wanted our beds made up and we said yes. Was at the bar having a chat with the other cabin crew serving us upstairs who was also really good. Joined by two of our companions in passing, had a quick chat and shock, my dad laughed. At that moment a slight chill came down our spines when from behind we were addressed by the upper cabin manager from halfway up the stair telling us to be quiet. We stopped, all looked round and as she floated down the staircase she informed us that she was putting the other cabin to bed and that we should be quiet. Then she decided there were too many people at the bar and told us we would have to take turns, backing up by saying there was not enough oxygen masks for six people. The atmosphere was heavy, the FA blushed and walked away, we quickly drank the rest of our baileys and climbed the stairs and up into the fresh, sweat air that was the upper deck. Having escaped the just a telling off from the wicked witch, I mean cabin manager I decided that this is what makes VS have such different reviews. It's incredible how you can be on the same plane, same class of service and still have very different experiences, I know I would not have enjoyed the flight as much downstairs. I decide it's time to nominate the two upstairs as Heros and ask them to get me some forms for when I wake up. This is followed by an apology from the guy for what happened downstairs saying he felt a little bit embarrassed about it.

Had a few hours sleep and woke up for a quick bite to eat. Am having my bacon butty and finishing off the coffee when the wicked witch appears from the flight deck. Speaks to my mum asking if she is travelling with the 'group' and my mum points her in my direction. She then says how she would like to apologise for speaking to us downstairs the way she did and said she was stressed getting everyone's dinner and getting them to bed. I said that I did not think it was right for her to address us the way she did but thanked her for apologising. She then asked if she could get me anything so I asked for another cup of coffee. She returned with my coffee as I was filling in the two FAs Hero forms.

Anyway the rest of the 'group' woke up and we were already for landing, as was two of the other ten upstairs. Unfortunately John McEnrow (excuse the spelling) was not willing to get up and it took three attempts by both crew to get him out of his pit.

Landed after ten minutes holding. Got to the ramp and was told that would be a few minutes while aircraft pushed back off of our gate. Ten minutes latter Captain apologise for the delay which 'is becoming a common thing in the last few months' Ten minutes latter another apology, he seemed to be getting a bit upset with being kept waiting. Another ten minutes and an apology again. Finally 40 minutes after getting to the ramp we were allowed onto the gate. Off the plane thanking a very happy looking FAs, and a unhappy cabin manager and through to immigration. Now the US immigration really need to take a look at how we work over here, three areas including a fastrack one which is so needed over there.

Got our bags, don't you just hate the people who block the carousel even when they know they have flown in economy and when the see the UC bags coming off first don't get out the way!!!

Quick trip to revivals, shower and change and cup of coffee before heading home.

All in all fantastic flight both ways, made exceptional by two members of crew on the way home. Leaving us with a whole eight weeks before our next UC holiday and just a few questions to ponder over.

1) Who decides what goes on to V:Port? Why can't we have some classic british TV/films, could you imagine people sitting there watching Frank Spencer destroying home after home with a glass of bubbly and a bacon butty?

2) What are they really going to do with this Good Night Service particularly in LAX

3) How can you get so different a service on the same plane, and how can you stop getting different service?

4) On a personal note isn't it a shame you can't fly to anywhere on the West Coast apart from LAS from LGW? A five minute commute would be sooooo nice.
#307826 by daisy
10 Aug 2005, 12:19
Another interesting trip report!

ÒDoctoringÓ your lounge pass? Very naughtyÉ[}:)]

Can I ask - did you feel you were making a lot of noise at the bar when you were told off? Did anyone complain about your party or was it just her? At least it was gracious of her to apologise to you Ð I probably wouldn't refer to her as a ÒwitchÓ when I can imagine how stressful a full flight could be.

Totally agree about people blocking the carousel [xx(]Ð it's hard to get some of them to move when you see your case coming towards you and I'm always concerned I'll hit someone with itÉwish they were 'policed'

Also agree that different levels of service do make flying with VS a lottery sometimes...
#307828 by ade99
10 Aug 2005, 12:27
Daisy - no we were not being noisy plus there were still half the B zone up and watching the TV especially close to the bar.

Wouldn't it be nice if we got a seperate carousel like they do at MCO...
#307834 by daisy
10 Aug 2005, 12:37
Fair enough. I was just curious as to why you got a 'telling off' as I've not heard of the happening before.

Yes, a separate carousel would be a great idea! [8D]

I think what comes across in your TR more than anything is something we all realise - its the quality of the service that really makes the flight enjoyable. I personally would be horrified to be reprimanded for standing at the bar and it would not enhance my overall experience!!

I appreciate its also frustrating to be given different information by different people - causing further embarassment. Not nice.

Thanks again or the report.
#307879 by Scrooge
10 Aug 2005, 20:08
Yes having Frank playing on the V:port is a great idea,more of the classic BBC comedys when it come's down to it.

I would like to see a LHR 744 instead of a LGW on the Vegas run,UC and PE are next to impossible to get and forget about a reward unless your very lucky.
#307898 by slinky09
10 Aug 2005, 22:53
Originally posted by jetwet1
Yes having Frank playing on the V:port is a great idea,more of the classic BBC comedys when it come's down to it.

I would like to see a LHR 744 instead of a LGW on the Vegas run,UC and PE are next to impossible to get and forget about a reward unless your very lucky.

Hugely agree - is VA listening 'cos these are constantly booked up. For my next LAS visit am going through LAX and believe there must be room for an additional flight with more UC and PE???
#308276 by Jetstreamer
14 Aug 2005, 18:52
Originally posted by jetwet1

The PE cabin on the LGW fleet is bigger than the LHR fleet with 58 seats from LGW compared to 32 from LHR.

Unfortunately the Upper Class cabin is limited to 14 seats because the aircraft are rotated through the different routes and there is not sufficient demand for a larger J cabin to other destinations ex-LGW.
#308289 by Scrooge
14 Aug 2005, 21:18
I totaly understnad this,however if you go to LAS they are always offering PE seat's at a stupid upgrade price,I want to say $199.

However try getting an UC seat...just a wish anyhow's
#308982 by SimonEdwards
21 Aug 2005, 22:56
Ade99
I haven't been through LAX for a few years, but based on my last visit it is the joint worst lounge VS uses along with the Capetown one. I am doing the route in September and I'm disappointed that the lounge sounds as minimal as it ever was!

For celeb watching, you see a fair amount on the LAX flight, sat next to a Mr L DiCaprio on the sofa once (anyone remember the sofa opposite the bar or am I getting old!) having my neck massage on one occasion. Nice guy actually.
#309026 by jaguarpig
22 Aug 2005, 13:16
Thanks for the report,only been told off at the bar once[:D]and your experience of LAX about the same as mine[:(!],only when the second bottle of fizz ran out in the lounge it didn't get replaced.
#309093 by onionz
23 Aug 2005, 00:43
Thanks for the report.

I would like to see a bigger J cabin on the LAS route too - why can't it have it's own LHR config plane at LGW? Becoming impossible to do a miles upgrade on this route, and i think mitchja and I did well snaring a G class each on the same flight in November [:)].

Related to this, if there was a bigger J cabin and hence more J passengers, perhaps a CH would be on the cards at some point, bearing in mind the 6 flights a week from September. Where they would put that in McCarran's titchy T2, i'm not sure though.
#309208 by JAT74L
23 Aug 2005, 19:11
Hmm... Maybe she was stressed out looking after Robbie & Co. I took a guest into the AC loung at LAX in March and didn't remember seeing a +1 on my invite.

Ta for the TR

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic