Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237386 by ukblue
14 Aug 2005, 03:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a break from VS of nearly 8 years (I now live in SYD not LHR) I decided to throw my Qantas Platinum card away and go VS back to LHR. You get comfortable with one or two airlines so it was with some trepidation I took this flight...and to save you reading the report, I can say that my expereinces ranged from Excellent (the seat abd V-Port), to Great (the crew and the Bar) to OK (the Food, the Lounges) to 'come on try harder' (Check in).

The first sector SYD-HKG (9th July) was a full aircraft in all cabins, except for U Class which had less than a dozen passengers. Great crew were let down by the aweful food. It took a while to settle into the VS cabin service as I was unfamiliar with it - its good but sadly no where near as professional and slick as the trusted QF routine.
The Lounge at HKG - well its ok, but again could not even begin to compare to the CX 1st class lounge, which as a QF Platinum card holder I have access to regardless of the class of travel. Food was better than that offered on the plane, but it was not a calm oasis, rather a busy buzzy lounge - jury is out on that one.
The second and longest sector was full to LHR - the bed really does become the selling point for VS - privacy, room, aisle access - only problem I had was the cabin temperature - I learnt not to get the centre seat on the A340-600 as it does not have any fresh air vents to cool you down. Otherwise, I have to say the seat/bed is as good if not better than BA/QF 1st.
Into LHR and looking forward to the revivals lounge - sadly not - it had been flooded and was closed and the alternative to be taken to the Crowne Plaza hotel was not an attractive one for me as I whad a connecting flight onto Berlin.

Hoeward bound I left LHR for HGK on 18th July - check in was aweful as she had no idea how to change my seat. The lounge was packed - no where to sit quietly - the showers (4 - come on you are having a laugh to service 100+ passengers) were down to 1 (3 broken) - once I did get to take a shower the room had not been cleaned, dirty towels etc and it resembled a steamroom - I was hot, bothered and not happy...but looking forward to the clam and privacy of the U Class cabin. Well, I did say I was a Virgin to these flights, but I am begining to see a pattern. LHR-HKG is a busy route, and popular for cashed up Executive Ex pats with FAMILIES. Not your fault VS, I know a passenger is a passenger, but 14 kids below the age of 4 on our flight made for a very loud cabin. I did get some sleep (I was already exhausted having taken x2 connecting flights in LHR that day) and thankfully the high cabin walls sheald out some of the noise, but I have to seriously consider this on my next trip - rarely on the BA/QF B747 upper deck do you see anyone under the age of 20.
A week later and the best flight - HKG-SYD again a full flight but with no children, and a truely superb crew - professional, friendly, fun and all at the right time during the 9 hour flight.

Overall will I fly VS again - most probably I just cannot get past the Seat abd V-Port. The rest, well food and service I can live without. As for the kids, well I will 'live and let live' and ask for a seat as far forward as possible next time.

Happy flying[:)]
#308290 by mitchja
14 Aug 2005, 21:49
Thanks for the TR Paul and welcome to V-Flyer [:)]

Poor food comment again........enough has alredy been said about this but all I say is let VS know!!!

I've flown several routes on VS across the Atlantic from LHR in J and I've never seen more than a handfull of children in the J cabin.

Not flown to HKG or SYD yet so cannot compare.

I know what you mean about the existing LHR Clubhouse. I have never liked it and it is a let down compared to other US Clubhouses, however, phase 1 of the new LHR CH should be almost ready to open by now and phase 2 plans to open in March 2006 which will make the LHR twice the size.

Glad you will give VS another try.

Regards
#308323 by VS_Lover
15 Aug 2005, 13:41
Originally posted by Paul Niven
Hoeward bound I left LHR for HGK on 18th July - check in was aweful as she had no idea how to change my seat.

This is the most difficult thing to do on check in - change a HKG/SYD seat. HKG control the seat map as it's their flight and wont let LHR change anything willy nilly.

It takes ages to get it sorted as someone has to override what HKG are doing.
#308324 by preiffer
15 Aug 2005, 13:45
Originally posted by VS_Lover
This is the most difficult thing to do on check in - change a HKG/SYD seat. HKG control the seat map as it's their flight and wont let LHR change anything willy nilly.

While that does sound difficult, it's certainly not the passenger's fault. Seat changes are surely a 'normal' request/operation when it comes to check-in?

Sounds like a problem to me - one that VS need to fix...
#308325 by mitchja
15 Aug 2005, 13:52
It's not just VS that have this problem.

When I flew back from SYD on BA ([xx(]) I was given 3 boarding cards for my SYD>HKG>LHR>MAN flights. I was un-able to change any of my seats from HKG onwards. It also turned out the seat number I'd been given for the HKG>LHR flight didn't exist when I came to board the A/C at HKG, although I did get another seat.

Reagrds
#308330 by VS_Lover
15 Aug 2005, 14:40
Originally posted by preiffer
Originally posted by VS_Lover

While that does sound difficult, it's certainly not the passenger's fault. Seat changes are surely a 'normal' request/operation when it comes to check-in?

I didn't say it was the pax problem - just a little patience and understanding when it comes to doing one of the most difficult things on check in would be appreciated.

A seat change is a normal request on every other flight except HKG/SYD. In the same way you can't take exit/blocked seats when you check in on line, neither can we on the HKG/SYD without going through a lot of motions and calling around. HKG may have kept those seats for a reason and may not want us to have them.
#308332 by ChuckC
15 Aug 2005, 14:45
Paul,
Welcome to VFlyer and thanks for your report. As someone who has platinum credentials with QF your input on any subject will undoubtedly be important to VS. So, yes, please do let them know about your experiences onboard and in the CH; the comparisons you drew should be most helpful.

Again, glad to have you with us.

Chuck-
#308933 by ukblue
21 Aug 2005, 10:47
Originally posted by ChuckC
Paul,
Welcome to VFlyer and thanks for your report. As someone who has platinum credentials with QF your input on any subject will undoubtedly be important to VS. So, yes, please do let them know about your experiences onboard and in the CH; the comparisons you drew should be most helpful.

Again, glad to have you with us.

Chuck-

Thanks Chuck - seems the more I travel the more the smaller things in the overall travel expereince come to matter - I just have to keep reminding myself that the airlines only went to 50' seat pitch 5/6 years ago, so the onboard comfort we get now in the premium classes is a real treat akin to 1st class.
I shall be on board a VS flight next month to HKG, and I hope that as I am now a Gold member I get treated as such - I shall report soon.

btw - it should be known I am a huge Richard fan - when I did live in the UK and used VS all the time for my N American trips, I went to a cocktail party (with 70 other frequent travellers) at his home in Holland Park - a real thrill and the best PR [:D]
Virgin Atlantic