Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237544 by Nottingham Nick
23 Aug 2005, 23:32
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My outbound TR, which seems such a long time ago, can be found here

After a fantastic three weeks touring round California and Oregon, with side trips into Mexico, Nevada and Washington, it was time to head home. We spent the last three nights of the holiday at the Residence Inn by Marriott at Oyster Point in South San Francisco, this is a very handy hotel for the airport and is right next door to a Courtyard by Marriott.

As is always the case on the last day of a trip to the USA, the last morning was a bit of a drag. We knew check in would open at 12.30pm, but as is always the case when you are not in a rush the trip back to SFO, the rental car return and the air train to the terminal took less time than we anticipated, so we were a few minutes early to check in. There were already quite a few in the Y queue when we arrived, and as soon as check in opened, we got sorted. I had used OLCI the night before to ensure that we kept our pre-selected seats of 2A, 2K and 3A.

Boarding passes and invitation in hand, it was straight up in the lift to the Clubhouse, which, a little surprisingly, is landside. On arrival we were greeted by xxx (name omitted until I have her permission to include it), a lovely lady who is well known to several V-Flyers, she gave us the tour of the facilities (unsurprisingly, we were the only pax in there at this stage).

We started with coffee and read up yesterdays UK newspapers, I went on the internet and posted on V-Flyer then had a walk downstairs to stock up on magazines. We then ordered a meal. I had a chicken, BLT sandwich, with roasted herb potatoes. Sue had tomato Napoleon with grilled bread, goats cheese and sherry vinaigrette and Christopher had warm Thai beef salad with Nam Prik sauce. Three very nice meals, and as a bonus they accidentally brought us a light bite of lamb kebab with orza pasta, mint sauce and asparagus, which we shared.

After the main course we all had a bowl of really nice fresh berries, Christopher and I had ours with ice cream and Sue had cr_me fraiche with hers. A very nice way to finish. Sue also had a couple of glasses of wine and I have had a couple of Buds! (No blue drinks to be seen!!) We passed the time on the net, reading, watching the aircraft outside and the golf from Ohio. The Sunday papers arrived once the incoming aircraft had landed. The lounge filled up a little, but was never what you would call busy.

When the flight was called, we made our way downstairs though security. We avoided any TSA issues, and went to the gate. Waiting for us there was Birthday Girl. Not only do they have a priority line for PE / UC pax but, once you are onto the jetway UC pax are directed to the left even avoiding the jetway queue.

We settled into our seats and were straight away given sleep suits and the new amenity kits. We pushed back slightly early, but had a long taxi before we took off. The seatbelt signs took quite a while to go off, but once they had, V-Port was started quite quickly. There were a few new films for August including Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and, very surprisingly the mega violent Sin City.

Details of all the V-Port films showing in August can be found here.

I watched HHGTTG (again) and ate while it was on.

Menu:
Starters.
Seasonal leaf salad with crab, oyster crackers, yellow teardrop tomatoes and black pepper dressing.
Potato and leek soup served with a choice of warm breads.
Main
Poached salmon with a medley of julienne vegetables, red bliss potatoes and Napa Valley sauce.
Crusted lamb served with parsnip fries, green beans and Merlot and thyme sauce.
Thai Green Curry with jasmine rice and toasted coconut.
Dessert.
Cheese, aged cheddar, double cream brie and Buttermilk Blue. Served with organic crackers and grapes.
Fresh summer berry sponge served with mascarpone.
Dulce de leche ice cream. On its own or with chocolate sauce and crushed crunchie.

Given all that has been written on V-Flyer about the UC food, I wasnt expecting too much, but was VERY pleasantly surprised. Christopher and I had the lamb, and they were massive steaks that were as lean and as tender as any I have had in a restaurant. Sue had the Salmon, which again was a huge portion and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

A lot has also been written about the Good Night Flights. This wasnt one by name, but was for all practical purposes. As soon as the meal was cleared away, the lights went down and all of the people in the upstairs cabin (apart from us) settled down to sleep. As it was only about 7.30pm (PT) I didnt feel like sleeping, so I went downstairs and found that everyone down there was also horizontal with the lights off. There was no one at the bar even. There were a few spare suites, but the FSM said the plane was nearly full. xxx had commented on how loads had gone up since the BA food problems!!

After a smooth (ish) flight, we had breakfast about 90 minutes out of LHR and then had a very smooth landing at 10.30am. A stand very close to the immigration hall and not much of a queue meant that we passed through very quickly. Our bags were among the first to appear shortly after we got into the baggage reclaim area.

We made our way to Revivals and found it almost empty. One thing that struck me was that no one had mentioned Revivals to us at any stage, not when we checked in, in the CH, or on board. It makes me wonder how many people fly UC on VS and leave the airport without realising that it exists?

Showers and a bit more breakfast were the order of the day and then out to make the long trek to the Underground station.

Another excellent insight into how the other half travel. Full marks to VS in every respect. Now to top up the much depleted FC accounts.

Nick
#309272 by sky
23 Aug 2005, 23:58
Excellent TR Nick!

I am doing the same trip as you two days later, up to now it promises to be just as good!

Cheers
Sky
#309274 by mike-smashing
23 Aug 2005, 23:59
Nice TR Nick, the food out of San Fran looks pretty good, and the lamb sounds good to me! I wonder if it will still be around when I come back from SFO in Nov (a week before the V-Flyer social!)?

One thing you didn't mention - were there any light bites (e.g. midflight snacks) available on this flight? Usually, the SFO flight does offer them, and they make a nice change if you don't fancy a full meal.

Cheers,
Mike
#309279 by Nottingham Nick
24 Aug 2005, 00:08
Originally posted by mike-smashing

One thing you didn't mention - were there any light bites (e.g. midflight snacks) available on this flight?

Smaller Bites.

Roast beef sandwich with Portabello mushrooms and carmelised onions.

Panco crumbed goat's cheese with sun-blushed tomato vinaigrette.

Asian Shrimp cakes with cucumber salsa.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Mike. Can't you delay the return for a week and come and join us in Vegas[8D][}:)] ?

Nick
#309284 by Richard28
24 Aug 2005, 00:22
Nice TR Nick - looks like you had a return flight to match the excellent outbound leg!

Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Not only do they have a priority line for PE / UC pax but, once you are onto the jetway UC pax are directed to the left even avoiding the jetway queue.

From my (limited) experience, SFO do a very good job, I wonder why VS dont have double jetways at LHR - this would help out a lot.

Given all that has been written on V-Flyer about the UC food, I wasn't expecting too much, but was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Indeed, that Menu looks fantastic, I'd be very happy with every dish on that menu!!

Perhaps things are looking up after all!!

Thanks again!

Rich.
#309291 by mcuth
24 Aug 2005, 00:34
Great TR Nick - glad it was a good flight home. The menu sounds great (heh, was your speed in posting the light bites anything to do with a 'takeaway'? [;)])

(No blue drinks to be seen!!)

Noooooooooo! [:0]

A lot has also been written about the Good Night Flights. This wasn't one by name, but was for all practical purposes. As soon as the meal was cleared away, the lights went down and all of the people in the upstairs cabin (apart from us) settled down to sleep.

As far as I recall, that's the way a lot of folks play it on the VS020 (funnily enough, not me though [:D])

Cheers

Michael
#309309 by lilyjosh0
24 Aug 2005, 08:08
Nick - your TR has helped resore my faith in UC. The food sounds like a vast improvement and light bites too![:)]
#309313 by Decker
24 Aug 2005, 08:21
Nick

Thanks for a wonderfully unjaundiced TR! Glad to see that the food on the route was up to scratch and that the CH in SFO remains as good as ever! I'd noticed that with Revivals before now it DOES seem a bit strange. You'd think VS would push it a bit more. I'm guessing that capacity issues make them try to keep it for 'those in the know' who likely are those who fly more frequently!

Anyway let's see how SFO copes under the strain of a load of VFers on the 12th Nov [:D]
#309323 by jaguarpig
24 Aug 2005, 10:00
Thanks nick another good experience even in the dark[:D].I assume someone turned up for bar duty[:p].Just off to LGW first time in 3.5 years how time marches on.[:0]
#309338 by iforres1
24 Aug 2005, 10:56
Hi Nick,

Thanks again for the excellent TR. The lamb sounds superb and should keep a few posters on this site happy[:D]

I can't wait to visit the SFO clubhouse, and get the party started.

Lights out early on the VS20, some chance on our flight back on the 12/11. I heard DJ buns is bringing his decks to install in the downstairs bar[8D]

Iain
#309348 by JO5H777
24 Aug 2005, 11:39
great TR hope to fly in the suite soon what do you think of the new amenity kit?
#309358 by seany
24 Aug 2005, 13:08
Great TR Nick [y].

I hope I have the same menu as you next month, then I can just have Dulce de leche ice cream for each course. I love that ice cream[:p].
#309360 by mike-smashing
24 Aug 2005, 13:29
Roast beef sandwich with Portabello mushrooms and carmelised onions.

Yay! My favourite is back. There's hope yet!

Panco crumbed goat's cheese with sun-blushed tomato vinaigrette.

Sounds really interesting.

Asian Shrimp cakes with cucumber salsa.

I always wonder how well this sort of thing translates to the aircraft. Someone should give them a try and report back!

Hope you enjoy your trip, Mike. Can't you delay the return for a week and come and join us in Vegas[8D][}:)] ?

Tried to work that one in, but I've no leave left, this is a business trip, and my boss is having none of it!

Cheers,
Mike
#309427 by mitchja
24 Aug 2005, 20:10
Great TR thanks Nick [:)]

Know what you mean about the existance of Revivals at LHR. As you say, it's never mentioned and you now dont get Revivals invites in the CH so unless pax already know about it, I would think lots dont use it. The last fews times I've used Revivals, and especially off the VS20, there never seems any UC pax using it off the same flight I've been on.

I do like arriving off the VS20 though, as by that time Revivlas has calmed down and is a lot less busy.

Regards
#309436 by buns
24 Aug 2005, 20:59
Nick

Thanks for the excellent TR[y][y]

Your SFO CH experience certainly justifies its V-flyer award earlier in the year and I am surprised the magic of 'dual lines2 on the jetway has not caught on elsewhere.

Good luck with recovering the FF miles so that you and your family can taste the forbidden fruit once more[;)][}:)][;)]

buns
#309486 by NYCFlyer
25 Aug 2005, 08:24
Nick,

Great TR, I was begining to worry about the UCS food after all that was being said about it round here. The menu you had sounds great to me so my September trip should be a good one.

Do you prefer the Upper Deck on the 744? I was initally allocated a seat upstairs but really wanted to be down, so I have 9A and 10K for my trip. Must remember to take your advice and use OLCI though.

Will post my own TR on this route soon.

Graham
#309493 by JAT74L
25 Aug 2005, 10:11
Another great trip for you and and the family then Nick. My miles are bubbling up nicely and I think we'll do a similar thing next year. My 2 year old will have been in PE twice by then so I think it's only right! (Just wish I could get the miles for her tickets!)

Regards

John

PS Let Derby Dave know I now work for GBRf!
#309505 by iforres1
25 Aug 2005, 10:50
John,

Have you been able to convince Mrs JAT yet about a certain little trip in Nov[;)]

Iain
#309555 by Nottingham Nick
25 Aug 2005, 16:57
Originally posted by NYCFlyer

Do you prefer the Upper Deck on the 744?
Graham

Graham

Having tried downstairs on the way out (Row 7) and upstairs on the way back (Row2). I have to say I prefer downstairs, quite a bit more.

There seems more room in the cabin downstairs and there is certainly much more space in the overhead lockers. Upstairs is a bit too quiet and isolated for me.

These are just my personal views, others may disagree.

Nick
#309560 by BlackCat
25 Aug 2005, 17:10
I find upstairs good if I want to sleep, providing

(a) there are no children (surely VS should aim not to seat kids up there?)
(b) the cabin crew keep the PE passengers from using the forward toilet

Otherwise downstairs is infinitely preferable.

BC
#309700 by Bazz
26 Aug 2005, 13:55
Nick Enjoyed your TR, the food sounds as good as ever both on the ground and in the air. Glad our xxx looked after you [;)] Did you find out who the new CH manager is now that Beau has moved to LAS? We should sort this before we take over the place on Nov 12th [:D]

Mike It is a pity you can't make it, you will just have to read the reports, look at the pics and pretend [}:)]

To echo Jaguarpig, I hope they opened the bar for you or did you opt for self-service, with the FSM's authority of course? [;)]

Michael 'Take Away' LOL [:0]
#309701 by Nottingham Nick
26 Aug 2005, 14:17
Originally posted by Bazz

To echo Jaguarpig, I hope they opened the bar for you or did you opt for self-service, with the FSM's authority of course? [;)]

To be fair to the crew, there were no shortages of offers of drinks at your suite. They made a regular patrol and could see the people who were awake and watching the IFE.

This negated the need to 'raid' the bar [;)]

Nick
#309708 by ChuckC
26 Aug 2005, 14:56
Nick,
An excellent report. Decker's comment about it being 'unjaundiced' says it all for me; it is such a pleasure to read about one's flight being trouble-free and totally enjoyable.

Had a fond smile when reading about how much you enjoyed the separate jetway into UC at SFO. Having lived there in the, ahem, 1970s, I recall making my way onto a TWA 747 at SFO through the 'left' jetway. I believe that LAX and JFK and a number of other airports that were retrofitted in anticipation of the 747's arrival retain their 'left/right door' capability as well though I rarely see it in use anywhere except SFO. Typically these left/right configs were built, if I recall correctly, at the outermost point of the semi-circular concourses (giving maximum 'wing room' for the 747); these days, those extra-large gates have been converted to, in the case of LAX, for example, Gate 78A and Gate 78B.

Looking forward to seeing you at the LAS Social, Nick! My best to Sue and the tall one, Christopher.

Regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic