Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237595 by Ongen
26 Aug 2005, 13:27
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was my first flight with VS and I have to say I was very impressed. I had the limo service pick me up from where I had spent the previous couple of days (20 miles south of the middle of nowhere in rural Oxfordshire). The journey was a very pleasant hour and a bit to LHR in the back of the Volvo S80. The drive through check-in was simply fantastic (although they could not check my luggage onto the connecting flight). Does anyone know if an upper class passenger is able to use this service if they are not using the limo service??

After spending a couple of minutes in Duty Free picking up the obligatory bottle of Highland Park, I made a beeline for the lounge. The dust covers were all around the new phase (which I missed by all of 2 days!) but I had a quick cheeky look through a gap and it looks mighty impressive!

Safely sat in the lounge I ordered the Sushi platter and a Gin and Tonic and was very impressed with the metal chopsticks. Really must find some of these for my place! About an hour before my flight I had pre-booked a haircut at the salon. While having my hair dealt with I was talking to the stylist about the new lounge and she detailed the training trip to New York they had and listed some of the new features. She also said they werent too impressed with the task of manning the pool which is hidden around a corner apparently!

Eventually my flight was called so I took the brief walk to the gate where I was apparently the first UC passenger. Everyone who took a look at my boarding pass asked how the lounge was which I found both nice and mildly amusing. Our plane was a 343 (I forget which name) and was lacking the UCS, however I found the J2000 seat very comfortable. The obligatory champagne was served and I kicked back for the 9 hour flight to Mumbai. A quick look around the cabin revealed most passengers were on business with only one family behind the bar bulkhead who had a couple of small children (who I didnt hear a single noise from all flight).

After takeoff, meal orders were taken and I was most put out to find that my first choice (the salmon) was off the menu. I was also alarmed to find curry on the menu not once, but twice. This is an overnight flight to India (hence the curry), but is that such a wise idea in an enclosed space such as a plane?!

About 3 hours from landing, unable to sleep due to the noise in the 343 (is it just me that finds the 343 very loud up front?) the IFBT invited me for my back massage. She did a fantastic job (and was also very attractive as were all the cabin staff, unlike the dragons found on some airlines). 90 minutes from landing breakfast was served which was definitely the lowest point of the flight. The bagel was over toasted and very tough and the coffee was an insult. Or maybe I was just irritable from the lack of sleep, who knows.

All in all, I was very impressed with the service and I look forward to my remaining flights with VS. Especially as the new lounge is open for my next flight in Septemer.
#309699 by Nottingham Nick
26 Aug 2005, 13:52
Thanks for the TR Ongen. [y]

Know what you mean about curry on the menu [}:)][;)]

Nick
#309810 by honey lamb
26 Aug 2005, 21:29
Thanks Ongen. It's good to have a TR from a different destination
#309813 by mike-smashing
26 Aug 2005, 21:39
Originally posted by Ongen
The bagel was over toasted and very tough and the coffee was an insult.

No, you're right about the coffee. As I recall, it's Douwe Egberts instant coffee. I really wish VS did proper filter coffee like UA, AC, SK, BA and LH (among many others).

In the Upper cabin, you can ask for a cappucino, which is made using real coffee in a little espresso machine in the galley. That is usually drinkable.

Cheers,
Mike
#309819 by mitchja
26 Aug 2005, 22:12
Thanks for the TR Ongen [:)]

Glad you enjoyed your first flight with VS in J [:)]

Regards
#309836 by Scrooge
26 Aug 2005, 23:35
Originally posted by mike-smashing
Originally posted by Ongen
The bagel was over toasted and very tough and the coffee was an insult.

No, you're right about the coffee. As I recall, it's Douwe Egberts instant coffee.

cheers,
Mike

OH thats the stuff we have in our helps hall,it's nasty stuff.
#309862 by Ongen
27 Aug 2005, 09:41
Originally posted by mike-smashing
In the Upper cabin, you can ask for a cappucino, which is made using real coffee in a little espresso machine in the galley. That is usually drinkable.

Worth knowing for next time - Thanks!
#309930 by buns
27 Aug 2005, 19:38
Ongen

Thanks for a very interesting TR[y][y] Glad to haer that your first VS flight was up to par.

passenger is able to use this service if they are not using the limo service??

I stand to be corrected, but I think drive through check in can only be accessed by the 'offical' limo service contracted by Virgin.

thanks once again

buns
#309964 by timsdm
28 Aug 2005, 03:46
Unless it has changed if you use Tristar cars, the company who does the Limo service for VA, and you call ahead you can use the drive through check in.
#309967 by preiffer
28 Aug 2005, 08:51
Originally posted by timsdm
Unless it has changed if you use Tristar cars, the company who does the Limo service for VA, and you call ahead you can use the drive through check in.
Yes, it has changed. Thread here.

Mileage reward or personally organised cars with Tristar can no longer use DTCI - only J & D booking classes.
Virgin Atlantic