Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237606 by Edna Cloud
26 Aug 2005, 18:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My first trip report (and for a flight two weeks ago now), so be gentle on me, dear reader!

The day started at 04.30 which was just a bit too early for my liking, but managed to get to Heathrow without too much difficulty. Check-in seemed to take a long time (about 25 minutes), but we were on the way to the Clubhouse as soon as possible. We went up to the CH in the shiny new lift with the leather bench, but were about a week too early to experience the delights of the new lounge.

I was on a mission to get as much as possible out of the experience, so asked about treatments as soon as we got to the Clubhouse. The back massage was the only one available, so that was the one for me (saved all that nasty decision making)! It was too early for champagne for me (before 08.00) so I settled for orange juice, coffee and the signature breakfast. A quick shoe polish later and I was ready for the off!

The aircraft was Silver Lady. I can't remember the registration, so I guess I lose points there. Anyway it was by no means a full flight (only about 15 people in Upper), so there was plenty of elbow room. By now it was that little bit later, so felt able to liberate a Buck's Fizz. The Beauty Therapist introduced herself and I put myself down for a hand treatment. The FSM also introduced herself and offered to help out in any way they could (I should mention that I was travelling with my infant son who has medical needs). I cannot praise the crew highly enough: they were unfailingly warm and helpful.

The Captain got on the PA to let us know that they were a pilot short of a full load. It was going to take about an hour to produce a replacement First Officer, so we settled down for the wait. I can testify that the ottoman in the UCS works wonderfully as a seat for a little chaptster (obviously not for take-off or landing).

We took off about an hour late and the crew came round to ask if we wanted any food. The choices were:

Smaller bites:
Selection of breakfast pastries Bacon roll VAMA - Murg achari ke Dande Seasonal leaf salad with red and yellow peppers
Bigger bites:
All day breakfast Grilled steak served with dauphinoise potatoes Vegetable lasagne
Cheese:
Red cheddar Port Salut
Dessert:
Fresh orange salad Mango and lime ice cream
Afternoon tea:
Sandwich selection of egg mayonnaise, poached salmon and chicken Ginger scones Pistachio eclair, toffee symphony and apricot and almond pastry

I skipped straight to lunch and had the steak. It was unbelievably tough, practically impossible to cut with a plastic knife, served with large lumps of almost raw vegetables. I followed with the cheese plate, which was OK, but it was only two cheeses. Still, a glass of chianti made both courses more palatable.

I was a little nervous about travelling with my son. Firstly because of his medical condition, and secondly because I know that many people would rather sit next to the devil than an infant. However, the chapster was a model citizen throughout the flight. Not a squawk out of him (even when I forgot to feed him!). I managed his medicines and feeding pump OK and the crew even provided some ice to help keep the drugs cold. He even obligingly had a sleep so that I could enjoy my hand treatment.

A film and a doze later and it was time for afternoon tea just before landing. The rest of the passengers made a mad dash for the door as soon as it opened, but I decided against the fray and took my time to gather my hand luggage, baby's hand luggage, medicines and infant together. I wondered afterwards if I could have asked for special assistance to help with everything, but I've always assumed that this was only for elderly people with disabilities. Despite my saunter, there was no real delay at immigration and I was through to collect the bags. In the past, I have always been screened by customs when travelling with a little one as I think they expect you to be smuggling illicit baby food, but we were waved straight though.

All in all, a remarkably successful and pleasurable flight.

E
#309767 by sky
26 Aug 2005, 18:46
Thanks for the TR [y][:D]!

I think from now on I will always avoid steak on an airplane, I think it is impossible to get it made well enough to be good.

Cheers
Artur
#309771 by Nottingham Nick
26 Aug 2005, 18:55
Thanks for the TR,

Glad your son was okay on the flight.

Another 'no' vote for the steak.[:(]

Nick
#309782 by Scrooge
26 Aug 2005, 19:59
Originally posted by sky
Thanks for the TR [y][:D]!

I think from now on I will always avoid steak on an airplane, I think it is impossible to get it made well enough to be good.

Cheers
Artur

CO manages to do rather well with their ribeye.

EC,glad you had a good flight,traveling with children will always be a hit or miss thing and as has been said on here before,9/10 it's the parents not the kids we want to put over our knee
#309807 by honey lamb
26 Aug 2005, 21:25
I think from now on I will always avoid steak on an airplane

I have had a truly memorable steak on a VS flight from JFK.....[y]

.....and a truly awful one from SFO [n]

Ooops, sorry! [:I] Edited to say, thanks for the trip report. I wouldn't have known it was your first if you hadn't told us
#309928 by buns
27 Aug 2005, 19:15
Edna Cloud

Great inagural TR[y][y]

Glad to hear that the crew did their best for you and your son and that apart from the food, the flight was a good one.

all the best

buns
Virgin Atlantic